As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

It's Clobberin' Time! Raging Barbs Highlands Tokugawa on Monarch

(June 6th, 2018, 12:44)shallow_thought Wrote:
(June 6th, 2018, 11:57)Zalson Wrote: I think you should have converted to Buddhism, though. Gilgamesh would be a good friend to have...

I wouldn't have blamed another player for doing so, although it would guarantee another war with Julius eventually (he hadn't yet declared on Mansa when the demand came in). With G at pleased (despite the rejection) I'd hope we could hold out until a GA and then switch.

Good luck!

Fair enough. I can't wait to destroy Gilgamesh, tho. smile
"My ancestors came here on the Magna Carta!"

www.earnestwords.com

Gilgamesh was reasonably happy with us, so we can probably absorb the diplo hit. Anarchy and worse relations with Rome -- I would have refused as well.

Mansa really can not seem to catch a break this game. alright Barbs taking (at least) one of his cities, and now war with Rome. Note sure how long it will take for Julius to get his armies up to Mali territory, but it is not likely to go well for Mansa once they arrive.

If we get an opportunity to vulture some of Mansa's territory, that would be useful. Do we know much about his territory? I don't think I evevr checked which city was the Hindu holy site, and where the AP was located.

Good luck!

IIRC on promotions, every single one apart from the Combat Line and the Drill Line (which does first strikes), instead of multiplying your unit's strength, divides out the opposing unit's strength.
Travelling on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

All the anti-unit promotions (formation, shock, cover, etc.) are internally calculated against the enemy unit's strength rather than your own. Much of the time this does not matter all that much, but when unit base strength are very different or one unit is damaged and the other is not it can have some significant effects.

I think the defensive bonus promotions (woody, hills, city garrison) do apply to your unit. Or are they also applied to the opponent?

T220:

I go through and mark all of our spots to found based on the dotmap. I also cleaned up some illegal spots. Sorry about that. But we have way more than 20 cities to found. Maybe 30!

[Image: start-2.png]

Check techs: not sure how Rome is so far ahead of us. Organized helps -- as does his rivered land. We should plan on conquering him.

Check our available settlers and the two we have are going to go on the spots that are most contested: on the border with Gilgamesh.

[Image: start-3.png]

I'll hope to leave you with at least 2 settlers, RFS-81 (or haphazard1, depending on who wants to play).

I'm also going to move our forces around a bit. We have 4 archers in Sonic, for example. We don't need them there anymore. So I'm going to try to move the lamer MP we have inside our territory and concentrate our force toward Rome.

We also have something like 20 workers for 18 cities. We've got a lot of forests in old Inca. Those will be gone soon smile

[Image: start-1.png]

We also need to spread buddhism, get into organized religion (we have so much infra to do).

Cholo should be the heroic epic, because it has more food and more hammers available. So our troops will head up there.

So for those of you watching at home:

1. Found new cities (+3 by end of set with 2 more for next players)
2. Spread buddhism
3. Add workers
4. Spread out units

I think we can do that smile

T220 - accidentally continued: I cleaned up some barbs and shuffled units around. I'll illustrate better tomorrow.

www.earnestwords.com

(June 7th, 2018, 01:13)Zalson Wrote: Check techs: not sure how Rome is so far ahead of us.

Well, I think because of his position on the map that Rome has had a lot less barb trouble than we (or Mali, or Inca) have had.

Also, we have crashed our economy to the edge of bankrupty. frown Twice. frown That has a huge effect on technological progress.

Good luck! The various plans sound good, although I hope we do not crash our economy a third time with new cities.

T220
I woke up all the units in all our cities to reassign them as needed. For instance, we don’t need extra MP happy in the capital right now — and some of our highly promoted units are sitting on the front lines.

Also, with our diplomatic situation, we need 2 garrisons: 1 in the west to deal with Willem and 1 in the east to deal with Rome when he comes back (because he’s coming back).

I also drop a couple forges ahead of markets and grocers. It’ll let us build them faster.

T221
Let’s pick Mansa to make him happy.

[Image: session-41.png]

Julius Caesar builds the Hagia Sophia. He must have marble.

T222
Our economy is picking up 9 or so gpt as we finish markets and courthouses. If we’re smart about how we found, we won’t crash it again.

Mansa builds the Kasha Vishwanath. I’ll see if i can find Timbuktu. He’s also elected pope?

Willem founds Dorestad.

[Image: session-51.png]

In response, I found the city of Duckhunt. It’s very nearly breaking even (and I switch to the lake to get 1 gpt!)

[Image: session-21.png]

And then I noticed this…

[Image: session-31.png]

So let’s get ready to go to war again! That’s going to be a painful declaration: it’ll cost us maybe 20-30 gold per turn. I whipped Advanced Wars’s market, though, and that should add an extra 5 per turn.

But instead of infra builds, it’s units because we don’t have enough units in the area. Well that and emptying all of our cities to be able to hold Incan Gold.

T223
Thanks dude.

[Image: session-61.png]

But that’s a pretty big stack that doesn’t have a lot of defensive units.

[Image: session-11.png]

www.earnestwords.com

Well, this game was supposed to be about the Civ IV military experience. lol

Shaka has a fair number of units in that stack, but none of it is really up to date stuff. No knights, no crossbows, no longbows, and thankfully no elephants. Samurai should do well against pretty much all of it, and spears will be very effective on defense against all those mounted units. Only 1 axe and 1 impi, so not much defensive stuff in the mix.

We had best hope Julius does not come back for round two until we have dealt with Shaka. Both at once could be a significant problem. frown

banghead. I'd definitely been checking for WHEOUHRN. It's Shaka, after all. I guess that's not always a warning?  In any case, looks like I didn't move our forces west enough...
It may have looked easy, but that is because it was done correctly - Brian Moore

(June 7th, 2018, 16:19)shallow_thought Wrote: banghead. I'd definitely been checking for WHEOUHRN. It's Shaka, after all. I guess that's not always a warning?  In any case, looks like I didn't move our forces west enough...

Oh you definitely did. I decided to move them back over to Rome. Mea culpa.

www.earnestwords.com