As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Psilons overrated?

I mostly lose in elections. Most maps are playable

(September 27th, 2023, 21:21)Anskiy Wrote: Like, how many maps can be feasibly won this way, in your experience?

The game has many opportunities to make one mistake and lose. This works not only for the player, but also for the AI
The more accurately you play, the more often you win

Sometimes the outcome on the worst possible map can be shocking... Even more shocking is the blindness of the AI, which is too busy fighting to see the opportunity
https://youtu.be/bYb_FtnLRWI

Taking this opportunity, I combined the process of researching the original MOO1 with collecting statistics about Mrrshans. On most maps I see specific victory scenarios. In the earliest confrontation, it is often enough to have Nuclear Engines to win.

I just tested my fix for the galaxy generator in 1oom and realized that due to the balancing of enemy positions on a small map, it is extremely difficult to win there. It looks like this feature should be a top priority for now because it makes opponents noticeably stronger.

I feel like we've steered quite far from the original topic now. Perhaps it's time for a "Mrrshans Underrated?" thread. wink

(October 1st, 2023, 15:33)Anskiy Wrote: I feel like we've steered quite far from the original topic now. Perhaps it's time for a "Mrrshans Underrated?" thread. wink

I would enjoy that! I always wanted to like the mrrshans but... it just seems like such a minor bonus. A small, almost unnoticeable boost to beam damage. A bit better weapons research choices. Balanced against making everyone here you frown

(October 1st, 2023, 15:33)Anskiy Wrote: I feel like we've steered quite far from the original topic now. Perhaps it's time for a "Mrrshans Underrated?" thread. wink

Okay, what is the advantage of Psilons? Besides the fact that they don't have any bonuses in the late stage, when all the technologies have already been researched?
I think this is a good race for situations where they are isolated and forced to research the Black Hole Generator and Teleporter on their own. But without such tools they are clearly weak.
UPD: At the moment when Psilons get Black Hole generator, Mrrshan, Alkari, Klaсkons and even the Siliсoids already win.
UPD2: Humans will likely receive Black Hole Generator even faster and more often due to bonuses to diplomacy and Force Field tech.
UPD3: Mrrshans have the best chance of getting the Ion/Neutron Stream Projector, which doesn't require teleporter at all
UPD4: Alkari usually has Pulsar to fight Klackons

Again, back to the topic: There is a typical psilon https://youtu.be/hD3ZYo2tbhs

(October 2nd, 2023, 00:42)MyName Wrote:

Okay, what is the advantage of Psilons? Besides the fact that they don't have any bonuses in the late stage, when all the technologies have already been researched?
I think this is a good race for situations where they are isolated and forced to research the Black Hole Generator and Teleporter on their own. But without such tools they are clearly weak.
UPD: At the moment when Psilons get Black Hole generator, Mrrshan, Alkari, Klaсkons and even the Siliсoids already win.
UPD2: Humans will likely receive Black Hole Generator even faster and more often due to bonuses to diplomacy and Force Field tech.
UPD3: Mrrshans have the best chance of getting the Ion/Neutron Stream Projector, which doesn't require teleporter at all
UPD4: Alkari usually has Pulsar to fight Klackons
I think the advantage of the psilons is that they almost never lack the critical technology.  Other races usually end up critically handicapped by lacking one type of technology and have to wait forever to get it.

need range 4/nuclear engines? the psilons will have it
need controlled barren/tundra? they've got it
need a particular weapon? they've probably got it
need robotics controls or industrial waste reduction? yep

The late game is irrelevant because MOO 1 is all about surviving until you reach the late game.