As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

OSG 29B - The Socially-Awkward Diplomats

And here comes the save!

Also, looking at the Meklars' tech again: Since they are rather low on weapon tech, they'll have a hard time punching through our shields as well.

Quote:After the fighters are ready Tyr can build a missile base, because once we have DS2 it will make us immune to regular lasers, so even if the Meklar bring 300 small fighters they can whistle for it as we chill under the shield
Sorry if this comes across as pedantry, but I want to make sure that I'm understanding the rules correctly: Do you mean virtually immune here? Because regular lasers have a maximal damage of 3 points, so they could still hurt our bases on a good attack roll, if I understand things correctly. But yeah, given the state of their weapon tech, it will take a while before they can threaten Tyr again once we have missile bases there.

Roster:
thrawn (up next?)
shallow_thought
RefSteel
RFS-81 (just played)
TheArchduke (still around?) EDIT: I just sent a PM to TheArchduke, let's give him some time to respond.

Attached Files
.gam   OSG29-2360.GAM (Size: 57.65 KB / Downloads: 2)

I've written a PM to him, let's give him a bit to reply.

(May 25th, 2017, 12:25)RFS-81 Wrote: I've written a PM to him, let's give him a bit to reply.

He's certainly doing his best to entertain us over in the Civ 6 PBEM, which probably explains him being quiet. He certainly deserves the standard 24-hours to respond, and I'm in favour of giving him a little extra time if needed.
It may have looked easy, but that is because it was done correctly - Brian Moore

Great turns, RFS-81! Granted there was some luck involved, good play means creating opportunities to benefit from good breaks without suffering too much from bad ones. At this point, our position is very strong.

(May 25th, 2017, 12:01)RFS-81 Wrote:
Quote:After the fighters are ready Tyr can build a missile base, because once we have DS2 it will make us immune to regular lasers, so even if the Meklar bring 300 small fighters they can whistle for it as we chill under the shield
Sorry if this comes across as pedantry, but I want to make sure that I'm understanding the rules correctly: Do you mean virtually immune here? Because regular lasers have a maximal damage of 3 points, so they could still hurt our bases on a good attack roll, if I understand things correctly.

Both right! Thrawn was referring to "regular" lasers - such as could fit on the small fighters he mentioned - to which class 2 shields make our planets completely immune. (1 to 4 damage, halved for beam attacks against a planet, minus 2 for shields = 0 to 0.) Heavy lasers can do up to 3 damage to a planet, so 1 after class II shields, but only on a high damage roll, and they won't fit on smalls ~ever.

(May 25th, 2017, 15:11)RefSteel Wrote: Great turns, RFS-81!  Granted there was some luck involved, good play means creating opportunities to benefit from good breaks without suffering too much from bad ones.  At this point, our position is very strong.

(May 25th, 2017, 12:01)RFS-81 Wrote:
Sorry if this comes across as pedantry, but I want to make sure that I'm understanding the rules correctly: Do you mean virtually immune here? Because regular lasers have a maximal damage of 3 points, so they could still hurt our bases on a good attack roll, if I understand things correctly.

Both right!  Thrawn was referring to "regular" lasers - such as could fit on the small fighters he mentioned - to which class 2 shields make our planets completely immune.  (1 to 4 damage, halved for beam attacks against a planet, minus 2 for shields = 0 to 0.)  Heavy lasers can do up to 3 damage to a planet, so 1 after class II shields, but only on a high damage roll, and they won't fit on smalls ~ever.

Ah, it seems I misremembered that this damage reduction only applies to torpedos!

Reporting for duty.smile

I would love to do play the next turns, hope noone else has gone ahead already.

They're all yours, TheArchduke! Save is here - should be 2360. As a reminder since it's been a while: In addition to avoiding known exploits as usual, we are not allowed to use the "Audience" button (but can accept diplomatic messages from the AIs if they offer them) and are not allowed to vote for any AI leader at the High Council (only vote for ourselves or abstain).

Good luck, and please don't hesitate to post plans or questions for (and to participate in) group discussion!

(May 26th, 2017, 02:39)thrawn Wrote: - The colony ship for Rha could go to Cygni instead since the Meklar scraping their fleet means they didn't colonize it and we can get it before they send another one.

Sounds good to me! We can quickly build another colship for Rha, and we have enough idle population up there to seed two colonies. Because of the bombardments at Tyr, we have lots of population there, but almost no factories.

Doing this now, thanks for the patience, reading up and exploring situation atm.

Sounds like priorities are research, buildup and 2 colonies, not a threat so far. I will see how it goes.

2660 First turn

I toy with the idea to 2turn build a colony ship at Sol to colonize Rha and send the current colshop on to Cygni. But if something happens we are stuck with useless colship, so I wait. I send some pop to our ultra rich world and apart from that minor adjustments.

Investment is poured into construction, because this should augment our current buildup nicely.

I disagree with sending fighters from Tyr to Cygni, They take a whooping 8turns flying around. Tyr is worth fighting over, a worthy cornerstone to defend and send expeditions. Cygni is a nice addition to have, if the worst happens, I would make a stand at Tyr and Rha.Two clicks of Sol is poured into reserve to stand up our ultra rich quicker as well.

On the interturn we have to retreat from Phantos, and I we get a neutronium mine at Endoria!

Techwise we get Handlasers and an unlucky draw, I go with the quickly avaiable HyperV over HyperX, only 600 research points and it helps bases.

Computer, we only have the option of ECM 1. What a letdown.

Second turn

Rather quiet apart from the interturn, shuffling some pop around, some more maxed factory production back to research.

Third turn

Quiet, the Meklars declare war. I declined to colonize Rha, but I reconsider, we will colonize it on the next turn.

Also an rather quick Alkari Colony Ship slipped through, probably going for the Tundra planet.

Fourth turn, quiet, I colonize Rha, next turn we will start some more fighters or a missile base on Tyr.

Fifth turn

We get 11 votes on the interturn, more then the Meklars, who are suppored by the Bulrathi, the Mrrshan and Alkari supporting us.

Sixth turn

Finally reduced Industrial waste, I choose IT9 next. No Meklars in sight, maybe I can squeeze out factories a turn more. An armed colony ship chases of our scout, with Pop 3 I decide the risk of sending some pop there is worth it.

Seventh turn

The Bulrathi offer a NAP on their accord, why not?

Eight turn

Quiet, quiet. Exis maxes out on factories, Tform next then more factories.

Ninth turn

Quiet

Tenth turn

Hyper-V pops making our bases a bit more punchy, if we had some. Choosing between Hyper-X, Fusion Bombs and Ion Cannons is a difficult one, I decide on Fusion Bombs as we might want to destroy some bases sooner and I dislike Ion Cannons because they don´t strike through shields.

Paladia maxes, we storm Cygni paying the Iron price, no fleets incoming, but 30 transports.

Sending 30 fighters would have been smarter after all.frown

But here I must hand over the save, we got some MUCH needed turns of quiet and factory building in imo. It9 is popping soon and IT +30 is at 30%. I think we need to get weapons and more computers soon. Speed 3 is not THAT important if you got speed 2. I hope everyone is happy and I did not do anything too strange.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.gam   OSG 28b 2370.GAM (Size: 57.65 KB / Downloads: 1)