As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Suboptimal IV: Indonesian Insanity

I'm tearing my hair out with this editor. 

I loaded the most recent version I got back from Cornflakes, which had my final changes to the map. The only change I made was changing the starts from randomly assigned to setting them to specific players, so everyone picks up in the exact same place. Then I run it through Cornflakes' initializer, which reports success.

And then...nothing. I keep trying to start a multiplayer hotseat game in Civ VI with the Earth map, and it won't freaking load this map. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. 

Here's the map file, if Cornflakes wants to run it through his own initializer and see if HE can create the save. You guys are player one, so if you start the game and see your own civ in place, it should be good. I'd keep beating my head against it, but I had plans for this evening and I'm out of time to try and fix this until tomorrow. :/ 

Edit: Oh, I can't attach that file, only a save. Hm. I'll email it to Cornflakes.
I Think I'm Gwangju Like It Here

A blog about my adventures in Korea, and whatever else I feel like writing about.

I assume you faked the tool using the fake folders? Did you copy the output from there into your actual earth map game assets folder?

But really you don’t need to run it through the tool again. As long as you just made the change to the file I sent back you don’t even need to run it through the tool again. Just copy the most recent version out of your Worldbuilder save folder into your Earth map game assets folder.

Okay, I worked it out. Try this save, suboptimal. Standard speed, Earth, NO TRIBAL VILLAGES. Christ. Can't believe I missed that. Everyone is in the right place.

Attached Files
.civ6save   GITARJA 1 4000 BC.Civ6Save (Size: 348.85 KB / Downloads: 1)

A blog about my adventures in Korea, and whatever else I feel like writing about.

My preference would be to wait another day and not try it blind in case something goes wrong and the starts switch.

FYI the way I always assigned starts was setting them to LEADER and then assigning them based on the leaders that the players choose. I never had any issues that way.

I tested everything, you're all in the right spots.

OK. I just replayed Turn 3, so we're back into forward progress. Next turn and a report should be up tomorrow.
Sending units to their death since 2017.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England
Rhymin' Simon: PBEM 20 - Indonesia (Team w/ China)

Turn 4

OK….back in the….jong...and playing new turns again. Some random thoughts from the delay:

- that horse may be a liability at the start of the game given my proximity to tundra.
- The local area is good in that it has production and the terrain favors defense of the core (so far). It is bad in that it is difficult to move around in (takes longer for builders to do their thing) and long term city growth is food limited.

The interturn has brought no barbarians or nothing interesting. Capital expands in four turns. In the north, the warrior moves up and finds that the land and sea both turn to the east.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England

Turn 5

The interturn has brought nothing. I won’t complain, because at some point in the future the interturn will bring Something Bad [tm] and I’ll be longing for the Interturns of Solace.

Warrior moves NE onto the hill, finds nothing but more forest in front of him. Found fish on the coast to the north. Next move will be to the east around the end of the mountain chain.

(December 20th, 2018, 18:21)suboptimal Wrote: the map script ignored the placement rules for Yosemite and parked it right on the coast.  This is interesting as it means the city is completely unassailable by land from the west and southwest.  I also got what I wanted out of the lake – a multi-tile lake with a resource.  A kampung in the tile SE of the capital will make that northern lake tile a 2Icon_Food1Icon_Production2Icon_Gold1Icon_Science yield once the pearls get a fishing boat (which will make them 2Icon_Food2Icon_Gold1Icon_Science1Icon_Faith).

The unassailable-by-land is great for barb defense early! With all those high-yield tiles you'll want to grow that capital tall. Housing from tile improvement can get you +3 (kampung + 2 cow + sugar + pearl) which is size 8 without penalty, and Granary can even get you to 10 for an easy Civil Service inspiration!

Quote:This does complicate things, though, as now there’s no good spot for a holy site up here unless I spend gold to get a third ring tile on the far side of the wonder.  The tile that gets +2Icon_Gold+2Icon_Science on the far side of the wonder will come into view next turn when I found the capital.  I may be buying that tile after the GFH and then perhaps putting down a holy site in the third ring west of that.

I'm hesitant to spend the extra gold for the 3rd ring tile purchase. You'd be spending what, 55 + 75 = 130Icon_Gold on that tile? The double-NW-adjacent tile will be picked up naturally by the time you want to work it (4th border pop?). 135Icon_Gold is more than halfway to a monument purchase. In fact, if you skip the GFH purchase you'll have just about enough gold to purchase a monument immediately at city #2. With the builder going pasture > pasture > mine you'll have (3) 4-yield tiles to work without the GFH. Without the GHF you can go Warrior (T12) > Builder (T20) > Settler (T29). Screenshot from my spreadsheet in spoilers including Warrior > Settler > Builder for comparison but that is significantly slower:

Warrior builds at the end are just for example comparison purpose. With our good defensive terrain stopping barb incursions from the south and west we could probably get away with our first 2 warriors for a while. That might be the time to slot in a scout, or even another builder or settler depending on what our Warriors reveal.

Quote:The placement, being within two tiles of a natural wonder, gets me another 3 era points.  It’s going to be hard to stay out of a Dark Age at this rate.

I looked up the thresholds, and it appears to be <12 for Dark Age, >= 24 for Golden Age? With 6 points already from basically T1 it does look pretty much impossible to hit Dark Age. Is the goal then to hit Golden Age with 18 more era score? Monumentality looks like a great dedication for your faith-pantheon strategy. A quick browse through the Historic Moments WiKi page look like the following should be easily achievable by the Classical era:
  • Barb camp within 6 tiles (3 pts)
  • World's first Pantheon (2 pts)
  • Contact with new Civ (1 pt)
  • Own first seafaring unit (2 pts) [if first in world +1]
  • World's first Technology of Classical era (2 pts) [thanks to NW science boost]
  • First Tier 1 Government (2 pts) [if first in world +1]
Possibly achievable:
  • City-State's first suzerain (2 pts)
  • World's first civilization to own a unit using Iron/Horse (2 pts)
  • World's first seafaring unit (additional 1 pt, above own first)
  • Unique improvement build (4 pts) [if rushing down the naval techs]
  • Barb camp defeated (2 pts)
Wow, that's a tall order. To me it looks like the only way to guarantee Golden Age would be to rush Ironworking as first Classical tech for quick upgrade to the first Iron unit in the world. Then rush to Shipbuilding for our unique improvement. Would we be generating enough faith in the Classical era to take advantage of Monumentality dedication? Has anyone in an RB PBEM achieved Golden Age for Classical?

I'm going to look at the micro after I get the turn completed in a little bit.....

Regarding border expansion, if there are no exceptions to what I learned in PBEM 6 the tile expansion order will be:

1) West half of Yosemite
2) Double science tile SW of Yosemite (6 yield goes before anything else)
3) Pearls
4) Sugar
5) GFH 2E of city center
6) Coastal science tile
7) Plains & coastal tiles.

I am still inclined to think that the best play for us here is Holy Sites at the capital and city #2. Buying a monument should be doable if the settler is third in the build order, since the city won't be founded until T35 in that case. If the tile picker stays on track and I hold off as long as possible on techs I might be able to pick up that third ring spot on the cheap. I am thinking that how much military we put together depends on our neighbor(s) -- two warriors may be enough for barbarians but it won't keep the neighbors quiet.

Regarding the eras, Archduke in PBEM 8 hit a Classical golden age. If go for Shipbuilding early that could get us the early Classical tech, first ship and unique improvement build. That would go quicker with a coastal city but I don't think putting #2 in a coastal spot would be the right play here.

Regarding pantheons do you have any thoughts regarding the burst faith of Goddess of the Harvest vs. the slow and steady drip of Earth Goddess?

Turn coming up, then I'll examine the city micro.