As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Old Harry's Game

omg, poor serdoa. everybody pile on.
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

It's what he would have wanted...

Turn 134

Crikey! Nice work Serdoa. I suspect that the great general is on the galley NW of Never surrender.

Ah nope, the GG is in Moar Enemies. Poor Serdoa my arse. I've now decided that attacking Serdoa would be dumb. Or at least that I should have done it last turn. :Banghead: I'll pick up my mace and head home next turn. I got gready...

An overview of the north - note I got the highlighted tile back thanks to a theatre, but Hydra hasn't canceled our gems for 3gpt deal - is it worth 3gpt to me to deny him gems, given that he's in hereditary rule anyway? He's saving money to upgrade his units to rifles (he just got rifling) at the moment, so one of us is going to feel the pain very soon. frown

Down south my Hydra border is very weakly guarded - but my horse archers are keeping an eye on his troops and they aren't threatening me (this turn).

In the east I still have an eye on de_tuscan, it'll be available again in only six turns...

Turn 135

We have Philosophy, so lets swap into Caste and Pacifism to get us some great people. And save us 25 gpt. We'll have a GP out of Grimsby next turn to launch a golden age, at which point I'll appoint scientists wherever possible!

Is Hydra finally going after Azza? 10 cats, 12 maces, 3 muskets in this stack, followed by a couple more muskets and about 15 knights. Obviously he might be going after Darlington, so I'll move my stack down there, but I don't want to think of that possibility...

Again I guess we'll see the hit Azza took in the demos next turn...

Turn 136

Ever have a feeling of impending doom?

I can't see anything that makes me think I need to give him the money, so is it just a good-will gesture from one underdog to another? Sorry Serdoa, I need it... for my golden age! * (Note Hydra finally got around to cancelling the gems deal smile )

:Popcorn: (I might perhaps put my stack near one of Azza's soon-to-be-under-defended borders)

Golden age Moai screenshot anyone?

I have three cities going all-out for great scientists (to bulb Education and Printing Press for a start) while Ipswich goes for an artist (mostly for border popping, but perhaps also for the 2-GP golden age) and Exeter currently has a 98% chance of a great engineer (it'll go down, but perhaps not by much).

So what wonders are coming up?
Gone: Gt Lib, Notre Dame, Taj, Mausoleum, Pyramids, Gt Wall, TOA, Colossus, Hanging Gardens, Gt Lighthouse
Available soon:
- Statue of Liberty - expensive and has a doubler, but still tempting
- Versailles - Not needed
- Hagia Sopia - Already got too many workers
- Spiral Minaret/Sistine/Sankore - I haven't got many Hindu buildings, so probably not
- Wall st - would go in the capital with Oxford, although the capital could build it in about 10 turns anyway. What other national wonders should you put in your capital?
Available later:
- The Kremlin - I've never built this - is it good?
- The Pentagon - extra xp are not to be sniffed at
- Broadway/Eiffel Tower/Rock n Roll/Christo - Is the game going to last this long?

And finally Azza didn't lose as much in that broadside from Serdoa as I'd hoped. frown

* I don't really need it for my golden age, but I also don't want to give it to you. Sorry.

Turn 137

The forbidden Palace seems to have cut my costs by 35 gpt (comparing with last turn's screenshots). I forget Seven's calculations for hammer/food/commerce equivalency, but I'd guess that will pay off the 134 + 80 hammers within ten turns...

Hurrah! But has Hydra left it too late? Azza is three turns from Nationalism, where he'll be able to draft 3 Muskets per turn.

When I attack (in three turns twirl) I'll need to keep an eye on the populations of tuscan and inferno to see if they've been drafted recently.

Thinking about bulb strategy - I want to use two great scientists to bulb printing press and education. I haven't come to a conclusion about using the engineer to rush a wonder (and you lurkers were no help!), so I could instead use him to bulb replacable parts, meaning I might be researching riffling in ten turns...
t137 - finish paper at 0%
t138 - finish alphabet at 0%, Gt eng available
t139 - finish Monarchy
t140 - Gt Sci available - bulb education and run science to finish it
t141 - start building universities in five commerce cities, another Gt Sci should be available (I think) and bulbs printing press, run science to finish it
t142 - golden age ends, finish Feudalism
t143 - finish guilds
t144 - finish banking
t145 - bulb replacable parts and run 100% science
t146 - researching gunpowder with some quantity of overflow (probably able to 1-turn it)
t147 - researching rifling
At this point Hydra may have destroyed Azza (with my help) or become totally bogged down. But he will have cavalry out, so I'll need to be able to defend myself...

Power

Do engineer bulbs give you less beakers than scientist bulbs?

(May 16th, 2013, 01:42)Old Harry Wrote: Do engineer bulbs give you less beakers than scientist bulbs?

Yep!
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

(May 16th, 2013, 01:58)Fintourist Wrote:
(May 16th, 2013, 01:42)Old Harry Wrote: Do engineer bulbs give you less beakers than scientist bulbs?

Yep!

frown I should really use him to rush a wonder then.

scientists give the most beakers.. I think all the other GP are about equal. using an engineer for hammers is just about the most efficient use of a GP (imo), except maybe a golden age in a large enough empire.

but its only as good as the wonder you get.. certainly beakers would be better then rushing Chicken izza or some random crap wonder, hehe. what possibilities exist for a wonder rush?
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.