As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Roland and Suboptimal Team Up

Dunno what that scout is doing - it alerted on my capital on its Turn 23 and you cleared the camp on Turn 24. If it belonged to the camp you cleared it would (should) have attacked your slinger instead of retreating (it had LoS to your unit last turn).

The scout likely hasn't seen your capital though the camp is targeted at it - no exclamation point. Keep the scout bottled up and away from your borders and things should be OK. That horse archer was probably a random spawn instead of a triggered spawn so it shouldn't have any friends up there. Wonder how much more land is up there (well, there's at least one tile becaue that's where the horses are). It's going to take some effort to clear that camp, though. OTOH isn't killing a unit with a spearman the eureka for something? Might make for a good reason (excuse) to build a spearman once you've got Bronze Working out of the way.
Sending units to their death since 2017.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England
Rhymin' Simon: PBEM 20 - Indonesia (Team w/ China)

ok maybe a bit more relaxed. Will retreat to the forest hill at cap and choke it there? or do I need to do 1 tile west of there.

Yeah military tactics is kill with a spearman. Those horses though are weak if it is just one I can kill it then the camp. The secret of course is getting first hit., Much like a slinger killing a spear.

we will see as I assume he can hit me from where he is so I need to retreat and heal.

Thermopylae it is.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

IIRC the horse archers have a range of 1. Fortifying on the forest SW of the mountain is a good spot to park as it exposes the warrior to only one attacker at a time. The forest hill is better defensively but lets the scout trigger on the borders. Perhaps kill the scout from the forest and then pull back to the forested hill. The forest may also be better from a counterattacking perspective since the barbs wouldn't be in defensive terrain.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England

I think the scout has to see your city center to trigger?

that is often of course the same thing.

I've seen reports saying it's the city center and I've seen reports saying it's "contact the borders".  The one north of Al needed to see the city center to trigger.

Turn 29

One warrior heals, the other continues returning home. Builder boats the fish and will take the coastal route to the truffles as it’s faster. Slinger due out next turn along with a second population at Obvious Child. Time for the main event. Galley heads southeast:

Nothing on settlervision. I’m going to hit the coast and head west first. I figure getting the coast closest to us defogged is preferable to just wandering off somewhere right now. I’ll let the second galley handle that.

Archduke has completed Mysticism. Marcopolo has completed his second tech. Still no second city out of Woden, though he’s crossed the three tourist threshold. CMF/MptF are behind culturally.

I rearranged the pins at my next city location. The (A) pins are if I stick with Holy Site + Campus. The (B) pins are if I make the city a commerce-focused one. In that case the Campus could be a Holy Site instead of a Campus and I likely move the Government Plaza up to the forest in order to get a bonus on the second ring district. Things to think about.

TURN 30

Slinger in the north reveals more land.

[Image: GQHGgVi.jpg]

Warrior takes opportunity to hit the scout. Possibly a mistake but I hate barbs.

[Image: Iq9zxNj.jpg]

Nice land so far in the south. I had hopped we would be first to Mysticism but our culture will jump soon enough.

Quite a bit involved in getting Mysticism before us given we got first pantheon.

Good faith and culture.

That's a pretty extensive amount of useless land up there.

The scout will likely move SE to the PFH on its turn in order to get out of the warrior's way. That should let you beat it back to the chokepoint. I think parking on the canal tile would be sufficient to keep the scout away. It looks like it has nowhere to go unless the spearman moves off the camp. That's good since it also keeps the horses bottled up to the north.

I have to wonder if Archduke had a cultural resource second or third ring that they recently picked up. It's possible he picked up a faith resource with his capital's first expansion. It's about the right time for it. Alternatively he may have picked up a cultural luxury resource along the way. Something to keep an eye on.

Most likely a Faith and Cultural resource. Unless he built a monument which seems impossible.

Yeah, I don't think he built a monument, especially given the timing on his secone city. Likely a resource. Anyone using God King would have their pantheon coming in sometime in the mid 30's, though I should look back to see when he finished his first civic (don't think he had a lead on anyone). His second city could have grabbed the resource.