As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

spoilers: this aint no cakewalk, its a musicalcatwalk; pacal of inca

do we need animal husbandry that early? the worker will take 6 turns with the bonus hammer. will we be into mining by the time its out and have bronze-working in by the time its farmed the corn?

TheMusicMan Wrote:do we need animal husbandry that early? the worker will take 6 turns with the bonus hammer. will we be into mining by the time its out and have bronze-working in by the time it's farmed the corn?

Hmm, I haven't thought the math out, you could very well be right. What speed is this again?
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

quick i think

If we want to go for Oracle, delaying AH is pretty much mandatory. While AH early is best for econ, it will most likely weaken our Oracle completion date (based on extensive sims last time around). If all other Oracle competitors go for AH then we should also go for AH, if one doesn't then he will likely land it. So first decision should be whether or not we want to commit to the Oracle plan, as it will affect every early decision.

I'm in two minds about it, it's a gamble which weakens our early game in exchange for a shot at these prizes:
- early triremes, allowing for naval domination
- forges, excellent infrastructure building although we probably won't need it right away
- Colossus, pairs nicely with FIN in making coastal cities profitable

I'm honestly leaning towards no, partly to keep it simple. If we go for it, it has to be an all out effort with all moves planned out.

Catwalk Wrote:If we want to go for Oracle, delaying AH is pretty much mandatory. While AH early is best for econ, it will most likely weaken our Oracle completion date (based on extensive sims last time around). If all other Oracle competitors go for AH then we should also go for AH, if one doesn't then he will likely land it. So first decision should be whether or not we want to commit to the Oracle plan, as it will affect every early decision.

I'm in two minds about it, it's a gamble which weakens our early game in exchange for a shot at these prizes:
- early triremes, allowing for naval domination
- forges, excellent infrastructure building although we probably won't need it right away
- Colossus, pairs nicely with FIN in making coastal cities profitable

I'm honestly leaning towards no, partly to keep it simple. If we go for it, it has to be an all out effort with all moves planned out.

This is very good advice, imo. Although I personally like the Oracle normally, our strengths as Pacal of the Inca are expansion and teching. For an early wonder like the Oracle, teching is less important than for later wonders and being industrious is more important. We might lose it even if we go full-on for it, although getting it would be huge...

We don't have to make a decision yet, of course.
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

so the games started and themusicalcats get off to a flying start haha

[Image: turn00macavity0000.jpg]

taken end of turn. the worker will take 7 turns total. i forgot to take 2 food off haha. guess well stick with the musical cat theme so ive named the capital "macavity". will use the main characters for cities and the lesser cast for workers if i remember. wont bother naming other units. full list posted below

ive put animal husbandry as the placeholder tech. it will take 8 turns so at least our worker will have a choice of farming the corn or pasturing the cows when he pops out. will follow with mining [5t] bronze working [12t] wheel [6t] and pottery [7] unless im told different.

city names [will pick randomly]

asparagus
bombalurina
bustopher jones
demeter
grizabella
griddlebone
growltiger
jellylorum
jemima
jennyanydots
macavity
mr.mistoffelees
mungojerrie
old deuteronomy
rumpleteazer
therumtumtugger
skimbleshanks
victoria

workers [taken alphabetically]

admetus
alonzo
bill bailey
carbucketty
cassandra
coricopat
electra
etcetera
exotica
ghengis
george
plato
pouncival
rumpus cat
pollicles
tumblebrutus
tantomile
victor

as no word to the contrary ill continue as stated before

quechua moved 1nw:

[Image: turn01macavity0000.jpg]

hell do a complete circuit of the city

early demos:

[Image: turn01demos0000.jpg]

guess our exp bonus gives us the early edge with mfg haha

Conditional bonuses don't show up on the MFG page, we simply produce 4 hammers (and then get another one). Note that the others have more food than we do, working a 3f/1c tile most likely.

I would have gone NE with the scout instead to get hill visibility. Also, I recommend going far with our first Q and then doing a circuit with our second Q.

Catwalk Wrote:Conditional bonuses don't show up on the MFG page, we simply produce 4 hammers (and then get another one). Note that the others have more food than we do, working a 3f/1c tile most likely.

ok my bad on the mfg haha. but only one [or two max] is working the corn [or equiv and also topping gnp] and were the only one working the plains hill. so what are the 4/2'ers working?

Quote:I would have gone NE with the scout instead to get hill visibility. Also, I recommend going far with our first Q and then doing a circuit with our second Q.

but cat you said to go nw then round to sw. umm my bad again as i didnt see who had posted before playing. went onto the hill to the west so this is what we can see now:

[Image: turn02macavity0000.jpg]

do we go an early settler after the quechua instead of the 2nd worker to drop onto that rice?

TheMusicMan Wrote:do we go an early settler after the quechua instead of the 2nd worker to drop onto that rice?

I think that depends on when we get fishing or if another resource is hiding in the fog. Rice plus riverside grassland with few forests and hills makes a decent city. Add in coastal fish though, and now you're talking.