As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[spoilers]Commodore likes it restrictive; Galling DuGaulle of the Gauls

Good news everyone!
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0019.JPG]

Sian is helpfully funding my idiot ass, which is much needed considering my GNP is abysmal. As is my power. As is my crop yield. Um. As is my power? Well, I'll be whipping out an axe the turn after next, which will be welcome, and the redirected overflow is making me a lightning-fast granary in Asterix. So I'm okay.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0020.JPG]

Just need that Oracle, kiddies, and then it's time for Operation: Bile of the Gaul's Duct.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

Well, not sure if you noticed, but there was a little warrior dude poking at Slowcheetah in the shot above. Um.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0021.JPG]

Sigh, nothing for it, I scrambled back my worker and moved a warrior where he would hopefully take care of that little annoyance. Sure enough, next turn the warrior kill himself on my hill, and once again my glorious workerforce is chopping. Meanwhile, research proceeds apace...
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0022.JPG]

Bingo. Whipped in the granary for massive overflow. I'll be a bit chop-delayed, but I'll have the Oracle in two turns. After that, it's all about growing the capital and working an engineer for a GE shot, and preparing for island-pushing.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0023.JPG]

So naturally this is when we're delayed waiting for Slowcheetah.

do you have a dotmap planned for the islands? base #3 is on the coast, I assume?
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

(October 26th, 2012, 14:47)Bigger Wrote: do you have a dotmap planned for the islands? base #3 is on the coast, I assume?

Yeah, port (Getafix) is city #3, and I'm saving the southern capital forests for getting it up fast. The islands themselves are simple...stone hill for each, because the marble is on flatland and in this setup, flatland is death.

One more turn for it to not be built, and we've got outselves an Oracle. Whee!
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0024.JPG]

Whipping in that workboat next turn, and then we'll really start to punish Obelix.

jive
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0026.JPG]

I am now officially doing...okayish, I guess. Once the fish and then cows come online, I'll assume my rightful place as semi-decent CY, truly top MFG. Even moreso once the forge comes online, which will be pretty soon as well. The soldiers are worrisome, but without too much difficulty I can squeeze out a few more axes.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0027.JPG]

And they'll make money/hammers for me! This is not where I would first choose to settle that port, but it's a pretty decent location in the end, and that's 65 hammers of settler I wouldn't need to spend...hrm, not bad, not bad.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0025.JPG]

Operation: My Private Lake is a go!

Well this was predictable., eh? Note the lower-right scores...early wonders aren't advised, kiddies.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0033.JPG]

So, then, let's double-down and make an absurdly early forge, eh what? Working My First Cottage, we'll still manage decent time on the bugger.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0034.JPG]

Not shown, end of turn horses in ugly positions.

End of turn 39, things appear on-track. The forge will enable me to run an engineer, netting me about a 50/50 shot at a Great Engineer. A Great Prophet would be annoying, but still helpful enough.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0040.JPG]

I opted to dump forge overflow into an extra axe, because it looks like Slow's Chinese are healthily paranoid.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0043.JPG]

He sent an axe to chase me back, but if he advances too much I'll be able to kill it without too much hassle.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0044.JPG]

A bit more worrisome are incoming chariots. Slowcheetah settled right on top of horse, so I finally have to research Hunting for spears. I'd hate to take Apache only to lose it immediately. I need boat-in-water ASAP to claim those isles.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0045.JPG]

Obelix is being that best of all cities, an easy one. It'll whip out an axe and then forge, which ought to be good to allow it to keep up a 4-2 whip cycle nonstop. The worker lack here is hurting.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0046.JPG]

Libraries? Fuh, GNP is for losers.

So here's a sticky wicket. Slow's axe is still being pesky, and now Boldly's sending along an annoyance.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0056.JPG]

All I want to do is hang out on the isles, guys!

Right, so what have we been doing? Not many turns, alas, have passed. Boldly is still nosing around but is far enough back for me to take out a warrior. I win, naturally, but take an annoyingly large amount of damage in the process.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0063.JPG]

Meanwhile, yes, Slow, I see you have a chariot. If you charge right in, I'll show you just how little that matters defending against an axe.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0057.JPG]

...or not. Okay then, carry on gentle sir. My spear will come over to talk about this in a few turns.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0062.JPG]

Let's call Turn 45 a significant enough number to update on what the cities are doing. Firstly, we have Asterix:
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0064.JPG]
Asterix is just chillin, working on a 50/50 great person and rocking some respectable MFG. The early forge is nice, although I need to get on claiming silver and gold for it to really be great. I'm considering just building the 'mids here if I can take stone exclusively; it's pretty easy to one-turn them in that case.

Secondly, after end of turn, Obelix:
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0065.JPG]
First of all, the engineer is draft, no clue man. I'll be reassigning that citizen to the oasis and pump out a brace of workers for the cause. Happiness is just 20h away, too, if I need to include a cottage or two in the rotation of whippings. The forge will pay itself back in the blood of eight citizens.