As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Suboptimal - Welcome to the Tlachtli of Blunders!

To the Lurkers

Having gone through the lurkers’ thread I figured I’d make some comments and provide some of the thinking, right or wrong on my part.

Japper’s Scout

My immediate thinking in attacking his scout was that I didn’t want my opponents to have visibility, even in the fog, of my territory. I considered a lack of visibility of the map in my territory to be an advantage that I was willing to defend. I don’t know how successful I was in that regard (yet). Understanding all of the meta in a situation like this, just like the next point, remains a (massive) work in progress.

Unfocused/Lack of Long Term Plan/Big Picture Strategy

Yup, guilty as charged. That’s been a constant weakness of mine in any strategy game situation, be it here in Civ 6 or playing Axis & Allies or Risk 30 years ago. It’s something I know I need to work on and will be a continuing work in progress. Recognizing what is, and is not, a “decisive” advantage and then how to use it is something I’m still working on. An overriding concern of mine through the second half of the game was that rho21 would attempt a breakthrough somewhere, which would have been disastrous. That defense-first mindset is what made my offensive play...offensive.

As Sulla pointed out my not delaying techs to get out cheaper builds was a Bad Idea ™. Two things pushing me in that direction were lack of gold for upgrades and that I had fallen into a “must keep tech pace with rho” mindset which was ultimately damaging to my buildouts. Likewise, in looking back at things with the lurker comments in mind I need to get a better handle on unit squandering.

The First Attack On Geneva

Yes, it wasn’t enough ships. Had I brought more ships it would have been razed on the turn I attacked. Sulla commented that I had more coastal cities than any other civ. Might be true until you look at the situation at that point in time – I had only two, Harborcoat and High Speed, both production constrained (Harborcoat was at 10Icon_Production, High Speed I think at that point was 12 or 13). Getting a lot of ships built out would have been difficult as the cities were chopped out by that point. I didn’t place the Harbor at Find for a third coastal location until after the Geneva attack was in the process of failing. The quadrireme → frigate upgrade path would have been workable had I been paying better attention.

Attacking Geneva Again, with Battleships

By the time I had even my three battleships out Geneva had Urban Defenses up and running. I suppose stuffing 6-7 battleships in there would have gotten the job done but that’s before considering the fact that Geneva was already up to a city defense of 76 when the first attack failed. Battleships against Geneva, even 6 or 7 of them, would have been massacred by rho21’s field cannons before I got the walls down because by that point the city walls were at 90+ and Urban Defenses were up and running. That would have also required slow-building them at cities that, at that point, were still in the 10-20 production per turn range (I was using Find to keep my research and economy running).

Regarding CMF’s “smash Geneva” comment on July 24th, at that point Geneva had Urban Defenses and a city strength of 101. My battleships would have been at attacking at 84 and doing 50% damage to the walls – ie 7 points of damage per attack. It would have taken three battleships six turns, without interference or attacks from anyone, just to get through the walls. I also would have had to put at least one of them within range of the city to gain a sight line and all of them would have been in range of land-based attacks from rho. Three battleships wasn’t going to be enough and would have resulted in a worse situation than the first attack.

Likewise at Perseus there was only one spot I could shell the city from and not be within range of land-based ranged units. (look at the T141 screenshot – only the tile 3NW of the city center was out of land-based range) With Urban Defenses a naval assault against that city would have suffered the same fate as the first one. As my ambush on the Greek battleship showed it doesn’t take much from ranged land units to really do in a navy.

Diminished

CMF’s analysis was correct, this was supposed to be a jump point for an attempt to take Kongo from the south, but then the Greek cavalry showed up. I also couldn’t raze the city when the Greek cavalry showed up (T162) as I had already taken it on Turn 160.

Not Attacking Bryson

I had no line of sight to the city from the ocean (that I could tell) and could not place a spy there to gain it. I think the only location I could shoot from, had I uncovered it, would have only allowed one battleship to fire. I’ll know more about this location once I go through rho21’s thread.

City #20

I think CMF was referring to Driver 8. Driver 8 was settled primarily for the luxury resources and to establish a pull back position if Greece turned its tanks on Diminished. Boy in the Well was for the oil, which was third ring to Kenneth. Driver 8 was settler #12.

War Weariness
Quote:1)His policy of not shooting "because that incurs war weariness" - surely Japper/rho would incur more, right? If not, then the WW system is seriously messed up. I just can't fathom how it's not worth it to damage enemy units when you have an advantage because the simple act of doing so harms you more. He also did the same with his battleships earlier, avoiding shelling.

War Weariness is accumulated on a per-combat basis based upon the era and the location of the combat. From what I recall attacking a unit that is within its own territory incurs more war weariness to the attacker. The defender accumulates at the same rate as the attacker. After the Medieval Era you accumulate 104 war weariness points per combat in foreign territory and 400 points gives you -1 war weariness in a city. I hadn’t had truffles hooked up at that point in the game and I had a couple of cities teetering just above the point of unrest & rebellion. A “formal” war isn’t much better, slowing the accumulation rate to 80 points per turn.
Sending units to their death since 2017.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England
Rhymin' Simon: PBEM 20 - Indonesia (Team w/ China)

(August 2nd, 2018, 08:10)suboptimal Wrote: Regarding CMF’s “smash Geneva” comment on July 24th, at that point Geneva had Urban Defenses and a city strength of 101.  My battleships would have been at attacking at 84 and doing 50% damage to the walls – ie 7 points of damage per attack.  It would have taken three battleships six turns, without interference or attacks from anyone, just to get through the walls.   I also would have had to put at least one of them within range of the city to gain a sight line and all of them would have been in range of land-based attacks from rho.  Three battleships wasn’t going to be enough and would have resulted in a worse situation than the first attack.

Likewise at Perseus there was only one spot I could shell the city from and not be within range of land-based ranged units. (look at the T141 screenshot – only the tile 3NW of the city center was out of land-based range) With Urban Defenses a naval assault against that city would have suffered the same fate as the first one.  As my ambush on the Greek battleship showed it doesn’t take much from ranged land units to really do in a navy.  

But even if there's only one spot, you're still immune there unless rho has a navy - and the only spot his navy could be was Perseus. I understand the difficulties, but it's also important to weigh the gains - Geneva was the linchpin of Rho's economy. Taking out that city would have basically forced an immediate end to the game, since there's no way Greece would have even the longest of shots at a space race or nuclear war victory. It would have been tough but doable if you invested your efforts in your navy. 

Note that submarines could shell the city, too, and be safe from shore-based counterattack - slower even than battleships, but a possibility if counter attack was your concern. 

Personally, I would have tried to focus my efforts on the naval push, with a supporting push by land along the coast, aimed at Perseus and then Geneva. Capturing Xenocrates would also have ended the game, of course, but I think that would ahve been a tougher nut to crack. 

Quote:Not Attacking Bryson

I had no line of sight to the city from the ocean (that I could tell) and could not place a spy there to gain it.  I think the only location I could shoot from, had I uncovered it, would have only allowed one battleship to fire.  I’ll know more about this location once I go through rho21’s thread.

True, but you DID have some muskets. Why not sail them up the coast and land them next to Bryson? I wasn't sure of Bryson's exact location, either - rho liked to give lots of text overview, but only one or two important screenshots a turn - but I thought it was worth an effort while you had the battleships over there. On the whole, the coastal campaign was probably the biggest win for you in the whole game (other than Egypt, of course) and I think it finally broke rho's morale - but I also think it could have achieved more. 

Quote:War Weariness
Quote:1)His policy of not shooting "because that incurs war weariness" - surely Japper/rho would incur more, right? If not, then the WW system is seriously messed up. I just can't fathom how it's not worth it to damage enemy units when you have an advantage because the simple act of doing so harms you more. He also did the same with his battleships earlier, avoiding shelling.

War Weariness is accumulated on a per-combat basis based upon the era and the location of the combat.  From what I recall attacking a unit that is within its own territory incurs more war weariness to the attacker.  The defender accumulates at the same rate as the attacker.  After the Medieval Era you accumulate 104 war weariness points per combat in foreign territory and 400 points gives you -1 war weariness in a city.  I hadn’t had truffles hooked up at that point in the game and I had a couple of cities teetering just above the point of unrest & rebellion. A “formal” war isn’t much better, slowing the accumulation rate to 80 points per turn.

Well, that's just absurd. Is the system really working as intended? It might be overambitious, given the other stuff it's looking at, but i wonder if this is worth looking at in the RB balance mod?

~~~~~~~~~

Sorry, I just realized I only posted the parts I was critical of!

On the whole, you played a great game. We hadn't seen the Aztecs since PBEM1, and you really impressed with them. You did fantastic work leveraging their advantages, and really made me give the civ a second look. I find myself wanting to play my own Aztec game now. Congratulations on the solid win!
I Think I'm Gwangju Like It Here

A blog about my adventures in Korea, and whatever else I feel like writing about.

(August 2nd, 2018, 10:03)Chevalier Mal Fet Wrote:
(August 2nd, 2018, 08:10)suboptimal Wrote: Regarding CMF’s “smash Geneva” comment on July 24th, at that point Geneva had Urban Defenses and a city strength of 101.  My battleships would have been at attacking at 84 and doing 50% damage to the walls – ie 7 points of damage per attack.  It would have taken three battleships six turns, without interference or attacks from anyone, just to get through the walls.   I also would have had to put at least one of them within range of the city to gain a sight line and all of them would have been in range of land-based attacks from rho.  Three battleships wasn’t going to be enough and would have resulted in a worse situation than the first attack.

Likewise at Perseus there was only one spot I could shell the city from and not be within range of land-based ranged units. (look at the T141 screenshot – only the tile 3NW of the city center was out of land-based range) With Urban Defenses a naval assault against that city would have suffered the same fate as the first one.  As my ambush on the Greek battleship showed it doesn’t take much from ranged land units to really do in a navy.  

But even if there's only one spot, you're still immune there unless rho has a navy - and the only spot his navy could be was Perseus. I understand the difficulties, but it's also important to weigh the gains - Geneva was the linchpin of Rho's economy. Taking out that city would have basically forced an immediate end to the game, since there's no way Greece would have even the longest of shots at a space race or nuclear war victory. It would have been tough but doable if you invested your efforts in your navy. 

Note that submarines could shell the city, too, and be safe from shore-based counterattack - slower even than battleships, but a possibility if counter attack was your concern. 

Personally, I would have tried to focus my efforts on the naval push, with a supporting push by land along the coast, aimed at Perseus and then Geneva. Capturing Xenocrates would also have ended the game, of course, but I think that would ahve been a tougher nut to crack. 

Given the forces around Geneva I was planning a tank blitz for around Turn 215...I think I had laid out the plans somewhere around my last turn and Xenocrates as of Turn 200 appeared to be a soft target. I think Xenocrates was a soft target as of Turn 200 because rho has to spread out to account for the tank at Valetta/Waffles/Rockville.

(August 2nd, 2018, 10:03)Chevalier Mal Fet Wrote:
Quote:Not Attacking Bryson

I had no line of sight to the city from the ocean (that I could tell) and could not place a spy there to gain it.  I think the only location I could shoot from, had I uncovered it, would have only allowed one battleship to fire.  I’ll know more about this location once I go through rho21’s thread.

True, but you DID have some muskets. Why not sail them up the coast and land them next to Bryson? I wasn't sure of Bryson's exact location, either - rho liked to give lots of text overview, but only one or two important screenshots a turn - but I thought it was worth an effort while you had the battleships over there. On the whole, the coastal campaign was probably the biggest win for you in the whole game (other than Egypt, of course) and I think it finally broke rho's morale - but I also think it could have achieved more. 

It never occurred to me to run the muskets up the coast under battleship cover. duh

(August 2nd, 2018, 10:03)Chevalier Mal Fet Wrote:
Quote:War Weariness

War Weariness is accumulated on a per-combat basis based upon the era and the location of the combat.  From what I recall attacking a unit that is within its own territory incurs more war weariness to the attacker.  The defender accumulates at the same rate as the attacker.  After the Medieval Era you accumulate 104 war weariness points per combat in foreign territory and 400 points gives you -1 war weariness in a city.  I hadn’t had truffles hooked up at that point in the game and I had a couple of cities teetering just above the point of unrest & rebellion. A “formal” war isn’t much better, slowing the accumulation rate to 80 points per turn.

Well, that's just absurd. Is the system really working as intended? It might be overambitious, given the other stuff it's looking at, but i wonder if this is worth looking at in the RB balance mod?

Yes, the system appears to be working as intended. From what I've seen on CFC discussing this it appears that the desginers wanted to force players into one of the peaceful victory options as the game got into later eras. I think the "immersive objective" was that as civilizations become more modern they become less desiring of war by themselves or others.

Crystalline Cat had modified the era modifier part of the formula (from GlobalParameters.xml) in his first pass at the mod. I commented out that code and implemented Bacchus' suggestion of having Encampment buildings reduce war weariness by a percentage. The actual implementation reduces the number of points accumulated so that a fully built out Encampment reduces accumulation by 10% per instance (check the thread over in General for the specifics).

My September is a bit too busy to get into a PBEM but I am interested in taking the mod's current iteration for a spin. Perhaps October... mischief

(August 2nd, 2018, 10:03)Chevalier Mal Fet Wrote: ~~~~~~~~~

Sorry, I just realized I only posted the parts I was critical of!

On the whole, you played a great game. We hadn't seen the Aztecs since PBEM1, and you really impressed with them. You did fantastic work leveraging their advantages, and really made me give the civ a second look. I find myself wanting to play my own Aztec game now. Congratulations on the solid win!

Thanks, and no worries about being critical in the lurker thread. thumbsup That's what it's there for. Though it can sometimes be hard to take it's how one learns (and I need plenty of that). Besides, the lurker threads have been getting less harsh with each PBEM I play so I must be moving in the right direction. The PBEMs here are my only experience with any sort of MP play so between that and my general mental wiring my learning curve is a bit steeper than usual.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England

Congratulations! So much for my analysis of turn 200 I was planning.

In any case, I hope I was a bit of a help and I think you earned a well deserved victory.

(August 2nd, 2018, 11:19)TheArchduke Wrote: Congratulations! So much for my analysis of turn 200 I was planning.

In any case, I hope I was a bit of a help and I think you earned a well deserved victory.

Yes, you were definitely quite a help, particularly in keeping me in line and getting me to rethink what I was doing before it was too late.  Thank you again for ded-lurking!

Part of me wants to see the analysis anyway, if only to see what I learn from it.  OTOH, with the game over I don't know that going through the trouble is worth it.

One question -- did you think my plan with the tanks & artillery was reasonable or another one of my underpowered assaults?

I wasn't sure how many forces you were planning on bringing, but just given the earlier campaigns - Geneva, Diminished, the first attack on Xenocrates - I was worried that you would underestimate how much was needed. I did exactly that in PBEM8 (well, my error there was not realizing how quickly Japper could build a military from scratch).
I Think I'm Gwangju Like It Here

A blog about my adventures in Korea, and whatever else I feel like writing about.

(August 2nd, 2018, 12:33)Chevalier Mal Fet Wrote: I wasn't sure how many forces you were planning on bringing, but just given the earlier campaigns - Geneva, Diminished, the first attack on Xenocrates - I was worried that you would underestimate how much was needed. I did exactly that in PBEM8 (well, my error there was not realizing how quickly Japper could build a military from scratch).

Two tank corps, a tank army, an artillery army, a musket army (primarily to escort the artillery) and possibly Napoleon Bonparte.  The Greek forces within the area are visible in the Xenocrates/Menaechmus screenshot in the T200 review post.

Congratulations on a well deserved victory! Don't worry about the posts in the lurker thread, it's always much harder to take part in a game than it is to critique from the sidelines. You've been getting better with each game played and this thread was a highly entertaining read for the last few months. Best of luck continuing your winning streak in the next game. smile
Follow Sullla: Website | YouTube | Livestream | Twitter | Discord

Sulla, thanks for the comments! thumbsup I do feel that I'm getting a better handle on these things with each game. Of course, in the next one I'll get put next to someone like Ichabod or Archduke and get run over again. lol The comments in the lurker thread, as with PBEM 6, are instructive and try to avoid having them make me feel too down for very long.

It's also good to know I'm keeping up the entertainment value for everyone, despite my sometimes addled play. smoke

(August 2nd, 2018, 08:10)suboptimal Wrote: Japper’s Scout

My immediate thinking in attacking his scout was that I didn’t want my opponents to have visibility, even in the fog, of my territory.  I considered a lack of visibility of the map in my territory to be an advantage that I was willing to defend.  I don’t know how successful I was in that regard (yet).  Understanding all of the meta in a situation like this, just like the next point, remains a (massive) work in progress.

Being scouted out is not that huge of an disadvantage. Score scrutinizing and the diplo screen give too much away.

(August 2nd, 2018, 08:10)suboptimal Wrote: Unfocused/Lack of Long Term Plan/Big Picture Strategy

Yup, guilty as charged.  That’s been a constant weakness of mine in any strategy game situation, be it here in Civ 6 or playing Axis & Allies or Risk 30 years ago.  It’s something I know I need to work on and will be a continuing work in progress.  Recognizing what is, and is not, a “decisive” advantage and then how to use it is something I’m still working on.  An overriding concern of mine through the second half of the game was that rho21 would attempt a breakthrough somewhere, which would have been disastrous.  That defense-first mindset is what made my offensive play...offensive.  

As Sulla pointed out my not delaying techs to get out cheaper builds was a Bad Idea ™.  Two things pushing me in that direction were lack of gold for upgrades and that I had fallen into a “must keep tech pace with rho” mindset which was ultimately damaging to my buildouts.  Likewise, in looking back at things with the lurker comments in mind I need to get a better handle on unit squandering.

Well, to be honest. Apart from the naval action digging in was the right call. You had the land. Only the luck of drawing Geneva kept Rho in the game at all.

(August 2nd, 2018, 08:10)suboptimal Wrote: The First Attack On Geneva

Yes, it wasn’t enough ships.  Had I brought more ships it would have been razed on the turn I attacked.  Sulla commented that I had more coastal cities than any other civ.  Might be true until you look at the situation at that point in time – I had only two, Harborcoat and High Speed, both production constrained (Harborcoat was at 10Icon_Production, High Speed I think at that point was 12 or 13).  Getting a lot of ships built out would have been difficult as the cities were chopped out by that point.  I didn’t place the Harbor at Find for a third coastal location until after the Geneva attack was in the process of failing.  The quadrireme → frigate upgrade path would have been workable had I been paying better attention. 

Not going easy on you there. A too small battlegroup by far.

(August 2nd, 2018, 08:10)suboptimal Wrote: Attacking Geneva Again, with Battleships

By the time I had even my three battleships out Geneva had Urban Defenses up and running.  I suppose stuffing 6-7 battleships in there would have gotten the job done but that’s before considering the fact that Geneva was already up to a city defense of 76 when the first attack failed.  Battleships against Geneva, even 6 or 7 of them, would have been massacred  by rho21’s field cannons before I got the walls down because by that point the city walls were at 90+ and Urban Defenses were up and running.  That would have also required slow-building them at cities that, at that point, were still in the 10-20 production per turn range (I was using Find to keep my research and economy running).  

Regarding CMF’s “smash Geneva” comment on July 24th, at that point Geneva had Urban Defenses and a city strength of 101.  My battleships would have been at attacking at 84 and doing 50% damage to the walls – ie 7 points of damage per attack.  It would have taken three battleships six turns, without interference or attacks from anyone, just to get through the walls.   I also would have had to put at least one of them within range of the city to gain a sight line and all of them would have been in range of land-based attacks from rho.  Three battleships wasn’t going to be enough and would have resulted in a worse situation than the first attack.

As much as Geneva would have benefitted you, the raid on the east coast of Greece was the easier call.

Those battleships running through the isthmus towards Geneva? Easy prey for cannons on steroids.

I think overall you did a splendid job. thumbsup

Do take the lurkers thread with a grain of salt. Judging from it PBEM #8 for instance was won the moment I clicked start game with Mongolia.

You did a great job being aggressive in the ancient and classical era. Imo I should have pushed you to really dig in and ignore the other at all and not waste units on fighting Rho prematurely.