As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

New CIV VI PBEM

(April 11th, 2021, 17:04)Kaiser Wrote: I will happily share the map making burden with Woden if he is up to it, we can figure something out how exactly sharing works best

So far I have noted down:
Player count: 4 or 5?
Map Type: no Pangea, mapmaker's discretion
Map size: adjusted to player count
Disaster Settings: 0

CS: no bans
# CS: 2 per player
CS accessibility: mapmaker's discretion (Suboptimal did a good job)

CIVs will be figured out directly by you

The final player count would be good to know before starting on the map, let me know if you want to deviate from my above list

We are 5

TheArchduke
Suboptimal
Thrawn
MarcoPolotheFraud
Alhambram

(April 12th, 2021, 12:29)thrawn Wrote: The patch will be ready in just 10 days, so let's get everything ready.

What's a good turn window for everyone? Is it best if Marco, TAD, and Suboptimal keep their turn order from PBEM 21 to make it easier to pass both turns together and Alhambram and I take the gaps? For me the gap between Suboptimal and Marco would work but the other won't. Alhambram, what are good times for you? The other PBEM 21 gap which would be easiest to fit in is European evening/US afternoon, but if you need another time we can move things.

PS. 5gp says TAD will pick the Mapuche.

I play mostly at evening European time , in past PBEM's I often played after TheArchduke's turn which did work fine. In PBEM 17, Suboptimal was next after me. So I can fill gap between TheArchduke and Suboptimal.

The turn order looks like it'll work. My window is 5pm to 11pm eastern (2200-0300 GMT).

Screenshots - doesn't matter to me either way.
Tech shuffle - on the one hand it adds interest by removing the expected beelines and tech paths. OTOH I have to wonder if one wrong tech getting buried in a tree could be too unbalancing
DLC's - I've got NFP but am content to stick with up to GS. If we added any of the DLC's from NFP I'd suggest only Ethiopia for its changes to city-state play and perhaps the Vietnam pack so we see what Preserves might be capable of.
Sending units to their death since 2017.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England
Rhymin' Simon: PBEM 20 - Indonesia (Team w/ China)

Oh my, of course they did not tone down the new civs, they just buffed and broke the old civs.smile

The turn order should work for me too.

1. Yes, I'd like a screenshot before picking my civ.
2. No, I don't think tech shuffle is a good idea. Suboptimal's critiques are spot-on, and I don't think tech shuffle adds *that* much interest and surprise to the game.
3. One big problem with NFP is that *nothing* from it is balanced. I must've played at least 50 hours of NFP games, with every single game mode, and I think Secret Societies is the only "fair" game mode. Likewise, the only "fair" new civs are Maya, Byzantium and Kublai Khan...though of those three, I think Maya and Kublai Khan are both extraordinarily underpowered.

Hmmm...let's turn on the Ethiopia Pack and Vietnam Pack, just like Suboptimal says. But let's also ban Ethiopia and disable Monopolies/Corporations.

1. Screenshots before picking sounds good, we have time to wait on the mapmaker.
2. No Tech Shuffle
3. I hold my breath on civs, it seems they will all be broken.

MPTF will be first player

Marco
TAD
Alhambram
Suboptimal
Thrawn

I will start working on the map this week and will reach out to Woden how to best team up

Cool, thanks!

i am in a pbem and we use immortal difficulty settings. I does make the City states harder to tackle. It is still the AI so not brilliant but they have walls and army fairly early.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

(April 14th, 2021, 13:32)roland of gilead Wrote: i am in a pbem and we use immortal difficulty settings. I does make the City states harder to tackle. It is still the AI so not brilliant but they have walls and army fairly early.

We just make everyone play as Canada.  That solves the city-state problem.  lol
Sending units to their death since 2017.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England
Rhymin' Simon: PBEM 20 - Indonesia (Team w/ China)