As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Races, Units, Buildings

For me uncommon being able to do that is fine, the exploity bit is getting that with a common. Airships I consider more or less equivalent to uncommons, balancing it.
I guess chaos channels might be something to consider as that's only 75 mana on average and an early uncommon so not too far from WF.

The problem with Chaos Channels is half the ships you produce will have the wrong enchantment and thus entirely useless.

Well they are still ships... If you're aiming for a flying ship that costs you on average mmm, [75? 100?] 150 is the answer, so it's probably fine as well.

I'm adding the "sailing overrides noncorporeal" change to the next version. Overall, noncorporeal ships are probably behind a whole lot of issues - for a mere 2 picks they speed up road building, all types of doomstacks, and on top of that enable warships to fight battles on land. That's way too good for a common spell already, but in this case, it's merely an extra on an already very powerful spell.
I suspect it was a major contribution to the werewolf/shadow demon effectiveness as well.

Meanwhile, Flight and Chaos Channels should be safe - both require a high number of picks in realms that are weak early and much less likely to do rush.

It seems when we added the ship related building tree changes, we never really paid attention to that and were busy with the research/power income rebalancing. So I don't think keeping the ships as they were, but not requiring a Fighter's Guild on the Warship was a very well planned move, more like an oversight. So let's also correct that now and require the Fighter's Guild for the Maritime Guild. Doing so won't prevent players from producing Galleys without requiring additional expensive ship buildings once they already build FG for military units, but will prevent shortcutting into warship without ever unlocking the galley. As the stats are strictly superior on the warship, that isn't good design.

Next step, I will have to play a test game before releasing this as the other change, the ship related UI changes, is quite radical. It seems to work correctly so far but definitely isn't the thing I'm going to risk releasing without a test game.

Byebye wraithform endurance floating island -rushes!

It seems to me with barbarian gladiators there is no point in making berserkers anymore. I think the unit should either have some weaknesses compared to berserkers or cost a lot more.

Bezerkers without buffs are overpriced, and actually fairly weak. Gladiators without buffs will therefore seem comparatively powerful. However, bezerkers with buffs are much stronger than gladiators once you meet a certain minimum armor/resistance, as they have more figures.

Exactly. Basically you make Berserkers if you play Life and/or Warlord/Tactician, etc, otherwise they are unplayable for you due to too much losses.

Why do high men have higher unrest with themselves than with dwarves and halflings? They are the only race on the table with this kind of attribute which I find is interesting and amusing at the same time. Are they just like "THE TAXES ARE TOO DAMN HIGH BUT WE DONT MIND WORKING AS LONG AS ITS FOR THE SHORT PEOPLE ".

I'm late to the discussion, but I do like the concept of High Men as depending on spellcaster units. You should consider adding spellcasting of some sort to some of the other regular units. Maybe spearmen could cast some minor and unreliable, but interesting spell in combat. The main reason is to differentiate the rival races, forcing you to create different stacks to best deal with different races.

For orcs, a different concept would be cheap disposable units. Where another race would send one stack of units, the orcs would send maybe three (very cheap) stacks, expecting that the first two would die, but wear down the opponent. I haven't thought this through in terms of spell enhancements or experience gains, or the fact that MOM doesn't allow multiple units to be built in one city in one turn, but it would provide an opponent that would require different tactics to deal with. Just something to think about.