As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

New CIV VI PBEM

everyone playing as the same civ is a concept in it's self.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Yeah, we need to play the unbalanced civs so that we know what to ban and what to mod.

Should be fun nevertheless.

I am a 100% on board that the balance patch needs a balance mod. But I still think there is a great MP game in CIV VI.

can we use the better balanced mod as a framework? just adjust it for normal speed.

truth is there will be more than enough op civs to go round.

there is indeed a great MP game here to work with. especially once it stops changing mid game.

I would go with Vanilla this time as we have a rework ahead of us, but for PBEM 22 I think the better balance mod is a good start from the looks of it.

Another option is to go for a gonzo game where nothing is banned, and it's all about finding the biggest exploits. It might not be the game you were looking to play, but it would give valuable information on where balancing can go.
Playing: PB74
Played: PB58 - PB59 - PB62 - PB66 - PB67
Dedlurked: PB56 (Amicalola) - PB72 (Greenline)
Maps: PB60 - PB61 - PB63 - PB68 - PB70 - PB73 - PB76

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

(April 15th, 2021, 06:01)Tarkeel Wrote: Another option is to go for a gonzo game where nothing is banned, and it's all about finding the biggest exploits. It might not be the game you were looking to play, but it would give valuable information on where balancing can go.

yeah was thinking this. we try to take any randomness out here but what if we just maximize it. 

all modes all leaders. disasters maxed huts in.  

it may be unfair or maybe not but it could be fun.

Sounds like Tarkeel and Roland are looking for players for PBEM 22. mischief
Sending units to their death since 2017.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England
Rhymin' Simon: PBEM 20 - Indonesia (Team w/ China)

i am busy until end June but perhaps, you in?

(April 15th, 2021, 05:44)thrawn Wrote: Some thing we'll need to balance or ban right away. For example I don't think it's possible to defend against the Mapuche. The +10 str was already powerful, but add the loyalty loss and you are left with a choice to fold your city right away or try to defend it only to lose it when they wear down and kill 3 of your units in the same turn. And due to 1UPT you often cannot shuffle units and the front ones die. So what do you do if you pick Russia which is all about monumentality expansion and someone else picks Mapuche? Your game is wrecked. It's one thing to be a powerful threat against neighbours in GA, it's another to be guaranteed to roll over them no matter what they do.

This is entirely unrelated (almost) to your point, but for what it's worth Loyalty's been modified so that a city HAS to have negative loyalty per turn to flip. So you could massacre the entire Russian army outside St. Petersburg and as long as it has +.00001 loyalty per turn, it won't flip. 

honestly if Russian Monumentality snowballs (or Khmer, or Ethiopian, etc.) remain a thing, Mapuche might almost be a necessity to keep them in check.

But then the game becomes a metagame about civ picks, which is exactly the sort of thing that declaring certain civs or mechanics OP is meant to prevent. So probably do that instead.
I Think I'm Gwangju Like It Here

A blog about my adventures in Korea, and whatever else I feel like writing about.

(April 15th, 2021, 07:55)roland of gilead Wrote: i am busy until end June but perhaps, you in?

Steam claims I have 7 hours of playtime, but I think I've played less than 50 turns, so I probably won't be a good opponent. I'd love to watch a game like that though smile
Playing: PB74
Played: PB58 - PB59 - PB62 - PB66 - PB67
Dedlurked: PB56 (Amicalola) - PB72 (Greenline)
Maps: PB60 - PB61 - PB63 - PB68 - PB70 - PB73 - PB76

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data