As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[SPOILER] - Suboptimal finds trees, still seeks forest

We'd only be getting three culture out of the city with the initial builder. That would be enough to complete PP in the mid 60's unless we got the inspiration, in which case we'd complete it in the mid/late 50's (assuming inspirations for Early Empire and State Workforce). If the city-state has a monument that we can repair that should get us PP in a reasonable time frame.
Sending units to their death since 2017.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England
Rhymin' Simon: PBEM 20 - Indonesia (Team w/ China)

Turn 13

Open the save to a notification – the Bayuda Volcanic Field is now active. I move the slinger west to get out of the way, not like it’s going to blow its top any time soon. mischief

Over in the west the barbarian warrior has followed my warrior and is standing in the marsh. The warrior, having better things to do, moves southwest.

We get the first meet bonus and they would like us to construct a Government Plaza. That location will be a difficult one to take. A mountain blocks the eastern approach which only leaves one hex to approach the city from. As long as that hex is a hill we’ll be able to position 2-3 archers to attack the city, then walk a warrior in while the archers keep the city near zero hit points. If it isn’t a hill then it’ll be up to two archers with a third rotating in. I’ll send the warrior down that way (and away from the barbarians) to check the approach. If the tile SE of the GFH is land that gives us a little more space. This nut can be cracked, it will just take a bit of effort. With the limited approaches I’d probably start attacking with only three archers.

Next turn Code of Laws. We’ll take Discipline and God King.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England

Ooh, yeah, tough nut to crack. On the bright side, looks like ~4 archers and a warrior should suffice - because they'll have to, since we can't squeeze any more in! Removes the temptation to over-build military before attacking. It's also worth noting how much the thick terrain in this direction has slowed scouting - it feels like the warrior has to move one tile more often than not. Hopefully we can break into open country soon.

We're also at the stage where most players should be meeting their first city-states, so I think next turn check the religious scores. If we're in first with Nazca + God King, great! Let's run it until we get our pantheon, which should be, hang on...turn 22? Not bad at all. Should be good enough for first crack, unless someone else met a religious CS before us. Keep an eye for when the first Russian lavra goes down, that'll be our main competition - Archduke loves his culture pantheons, so I think there's about a 40% chance he takes Festivals if he gets the chance (50% Open Sky, 10% River Goddess just to mess with Khmer).

Again, operation Clam Worship is harebrained, but just in case we want the numbers available:
Working the pearls starting on turn 14 gets us the pantheon...all of 1 turn earlier, turn 21? okay yeah that's out. Oh, well. ALTHOUGH, if you work the clam for just two turns in there, you give up - say - 8 food in order to bump up pantheon selection 1 turn. That might be worth doing if we see anyone jump ahead of us in the religious rankings, so long as we do it before turn 20.
I Think I'm Gwangju Like It Here

A blog about my adventures in Korea, and whatever else I feel like writing about.

Archduke did gain six points last turn - three were era points, one was empire, two were for his first tech. I'm going to guess that he's found a natural wonder and completed Astrology during his turn. We should be seeing a lavra in 5-8 turns depending on his available production. I'll be sure to check the religious rankings next turn.

Nazca will only need three archers as that's all we can fit. The tile to the SE of the GFH won't be able to see the city and if it exists will be where the warrior pulls rear guard. Three archers would be able to zero out the garrison in two turns, 3-4 if a warrior parks in the city. Ideally we declare war and kill off the warriors for some XP before dealing with the city. Just a shame those reefs aren't on the shoreline. The city will be a slow grower but might make a good (eventual) candidate for Liang's Aquaculture promotion (build fisheries, +1Icon_Food, +1Icon_Food if next to a sea resource, +1Icon_Production if Liang is in the city, +0.5 housing). Speaking of governors I'm thinking about putting Pingala with his culture promotion in City #2 instead of the capital so that we don't lose any bonuses when Magnus shows up for chops at the capital.

I've been buried under finals for a while now, and otherwise mostly been just skim reading. In general though, things seem to be going well, though Nazca's location is a bit of a pain. Quick recommendation, maybe city 3 should go 2 tiles west. It will give up the Bananas granted, but it will gain several 2/2 jungle hill tiles to work (not fantastic but better than the 1/1 tiles city 3 currently has), a marsh tile, and whatever benefits come out of the volcano. It would also let you put down a city on that river tile to the SW of the current city 3 spot. I think it depends on more scouting to make that call, but just a thought.

We'll have time to scout out the area before city #3 goes down as any archers out of City #2 will come down the coast to get to Nazca while those out of mashed go through the desert. It's an interesting idea, though the bananas would gain 1Icon_Culture2Icon_Gold with a plantation provided we get our desired pantheon.

Turn 14

First things first, I check the religious rankings. We’re in second place behind Alhambram. He’s just completed Code of Laws this turn (as have we). Speaking of which, I slot God King and Discipline and start Craftsmanship. Slinger continues making its way towards Mashed and will meet the settler in two turns on the PFH at the capital. That barbarian warrior in the south is following us. Warrior moves southeast and finds a bit of open land:

That water to the direct south is coastal, not lake. The bananas is in a good spot – it might be claimable by a city on the river further east. I’ll bring the warrior around the mountain next turn and we’ll get to see the approach into Nazca.

Interesting! It looks like Nazca might be on its own tiny stupid peninsula.

The constricted terrain, while annoying, does at least have the benefit that your archers will easily be able to murder their way to the city, shooting down enemy warriors one at a time.
I Think I'm Gwangju Like It Here

A blog about my adventures in Korea, and whatever else I feel like writing about.

In a way, Nazca is on its own stupid (but tiny) peninsula...

Turn 15

I take a second look at the religious rankings, we’re now first so the early pantheon should be ours. Nothing new in the north; slinger moves towards Mashed. Warrior in the south navigates the open grasslands.

The approach to Nazca will be tight. Three archers can attack the city (one each on the three land tiles) and then a warrior can shuffle in as the city defense drops to zero. That’s the plan. It won’t have good production but we’ll use it for an initial galley or two.

Note the name of the lake. We’re not the first one to find it. My guess is that Khmer and Pindicator are somewhere to the south. Looks like we may be neighbors again. The warrior will continue south around the lake to try to locate Pindicator. If we find him it might give us the next target after Nazca.

Kaiser’s empire score has dropped by one, so he’s got a settler out. The Black Sword is currently odd mad out having not completed a civic or a tech by this point in the game.

Turn 16

The settler is out and meets up with the slinger. Three turns to city founding. The slinger will stay with the settler and then perhaps I’ll use it to defog the area immediately NE of City #2, as well around the river to the south. Mashed starts a builder and is now working the rice and the deer. The city will regrow to 3 pop in 4 turns and the builder will complete 2 turns after that. As for the warrior, well, it will continue southwards to confirm if Pindicator is close by or a bit further away. It can only move one tile so doesn’t reveal much this turn. I’ll screenshot the area next turn as I’ll be climbing up on a hill.

Archduke has either built a Lavra or founded a city somewhere interesting. His empire and era scores each went up by 4. The Black Sword has also completed Code of Laws but no techs. Wonder if he’s slow-rolling them to keep potential costs down for his first district. contemplate

Need to defog the area around the bananas and geothermal vent east of Nazca.  That spot looks to have at least a +3 Campus (+1 for 2 jungle tiles, +2 for the vent itself.) Imo, it might make more sense to delay killing Nazca and get out another quick settler.
Global lurker smile ; played in Civ VI PBEM 4, 5, 15; DL suboptimal Civ VI PBEM 17