As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Psilons overrated?

(October 23rd, 2023, 22:54)MJW (ya that one) Wrote: Could you make a tier list too? The list would be heavily biased towards small maps because the only objective measure in this game is the risk of dying as there is no MP or scoring system (lol). And dying isn't likely on larger maps. But that's okay.

It seems to me that the main risk in MOO1 is losing elections, any race can do this with equal ease
UPD: I'm not an expert in playing Human, maybe it's easier for them to avoid total war

(October 23rd, 2023, 22:51)MJW (ya that one) Wrote: I would consider the unofficial patch version of the game to be the "true" version.
Many people will simply never use third party binaries for security reasons

I don't think the version matters if the only thing that can stop you is a cheese election loss. Humans would be the only faction that would be able to help you with that.

(October 24th, 2023, 18:57)MJW (ya that one) Wrote: I don't think the version matters if the only thing that can stop you is a cheese election loss. Humans would be the only faction that would be able to help you with that.

There are certain scenarios in which it is quite difficult to survive on a small map. With unlimited fuel range tech the AI can be quite deadly.
UPD: Also, if every AI has a second planet, it makes a significant difference, especially if you have an enemy Alkari + Mrrshan + Klackon combination.

(October 24th, 2023, 18:57)MJW (ya that one) Wrote: I don't think the version matters if the only thing that can stop you is a cheese election loss. Humans would be the only faction that would be able to help you with that.

On the other hand, the Council is supposed to discourage early and/or overt aggression. So, if MyName's strategies have been frequently stopped by them, it's a sign they're working as intended. Not going to say that it can't be unfair though.

(October 24th, 2023, 20:29)Anskiy Wrote:

On the other hand, the Council is supposed to discourage early and/or overt aggression. So, if MyName's strategies have been frequently stopped by them, it's a sign they're working as intended. Not going to say that it can't be unfair though.
Yes it's true. Sometimes the elections is random, but sometimes it is a reaction to aggression. I completely agree.

(October 24th, 2023, 18:57)MJW (ya that one) Wrote: I don't think the version matters
I'm having a lot of trouble trying to win a small galaxy with starting locations balanced. On each map there are strong Klakons, sometimes with 3-6 planets, or some other strong race. Feels like last 1oom version is next level.
UPD: I usually make strong picks for enemies: Mrrshan, Silicoid, Psilon, Klackon, Darlok
UPD2: I guess I'm just bad at playing Alkari
UPD3: Darlok is probably a bad last choice because on a small map with 6/6 checks you can't have 6 non-isolated races, so it's better to take the 6th meklar.

While learning to play the Human race, I unexpectedly discovered that ECM can be extremely effective at an early stage.
UPD: It feels like you don't need to study the human race because you can just win randomly
UPD2: Increasing the quality of missile bases seems like a viable strategy, but the Psilons are better at it.

My main mistake for Alkari was that I did not take into account the effect of ECM on bombs.

(October 25th, 2023, 04:13)MyName Wrote: UPD: It feels like you don't need to study the human race because you can just win randomly

LOL yeah, Humans are infamous for getting Council victories on a platter, sometimes without the player casting any votes even. Besides that, they mostly excel for exploiting trade agreements and for turtling, imo.