As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[spoilers]Commodore likes it restrictive; Galling DuGaulle of the Gauls

Let's fill in the edges of Gaul, shall we? Weird floodplain hills/floodplain plains...I like how the river drains south here.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0278.JPG]

Lady and Gentlemen, I give you Fullyautomatix. There are two ways I could run this city, either cottages all the flood plains (the hills too) and get the best effect slowly, or what I will do: Farm the two plains, mine the three hills, cottage the grass riverside, and work the two incense plantations. Less-good longterm, but in the here and now, hard to pass up instant +6 commerce each.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0282.JPG]

That being said, I do have a few longer-term irons in the fire. First off, I managed to get Aristotle!
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0279.JPG]

Vive la Academe! Asterix is my science monster; I need Oxford and Bureaucracy and Hereditary Rule post-haste, eh? I know that's a painful thing to see; the wet riverside corn farm lying fallow. But that, and the Hanging Gardens, waits for silk and incense coming online. Then I'll see if I can't push in a market for another +2 happy.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0284.JPG]

Meanwhile, the ongoing naval warfare is still, um, ongoing. Boldly planted for marble in my face, I'll take it, but I can't before he swings the MoM, alas. Still, handy of him to save me a settler.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0277.JPG]

He's now most definitely on the raw end of this setup, with a single galley retreating to Megatron while I have two triremes (one a 3-mover) and two galleys as of this turn. So long, so long, and thanks for all the fish!
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0281.JPG]

Here's the demographics. I've just landed Calendar and will be going CoL->Monotheism->Monarchy->Feudalism->Civil Service->Machinery->Guilds, with a little bulb help if I can manage it. Soldier count tells me Sian's skirmish with Boldly was at least a little bloody, but Boldly is still #1 in all categories.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0285.JPG]

Imma gonna get thishere lake if it kills me, though.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

Today is your lucky day, folks. Not one, but two reports. A fair bit happening now, I figured I'd show it sector-by-sector. First of all, in South Moist, I cheerfully pillaged another net. Megatron is now either leeching from the capital or hamstrung, either is fine.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0290.JPG]

Of rather more import is The Kraken. Note the two galleys, and then note the axe/spear in the Kracken. I can definitely sieze the stone hill, and I need to review odds on taking the place...not sure, might be worth more to let it grow enough to capture. Either way, we're invading, and after we ought to be able to sweep the sea.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0291.JPG]

I'm letting the Hanging Gardens complete now too; next turn I'll have incense online, barring a hefty force from Slowcheetah. The northern incense is easier to defend; honestly I really will feel better securing the second ring here, but at least with a Buddhism spread Fullyautomatix has some cultural umph.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0292.JPG]

Obelix's borders are what secures the flood plains now, actually. I love this city, still under-improved but nevertheless thriving. I really wish I could afford the beakers to divert up to Literature for this fellah, National Epic would be wonderful. Alas, wishes, horses, etc. Push out more missionaries.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0289.JPG]

In a more secure sector, silks are also about to come online. A looooot of catapults are going to be coming out of Dogmatix for the next little while, as I'm now content to remain 100% defensive on the mainland. Just grow cottages and build GLH/Colossus in the water.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0293.JPG]

I'll name it Lake Commodore.

Smack dat.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0295.JPG]

jive

Nice job. You know, I really counted you out of it before you took on Slow. Man, that was a mistake.
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

Did you take The Kraken? the pic seemed to show you failing to take it...
Completed:  PBEM 34g (W), 36 , 35 , 5o, 34s, 5p, 42, 48 and PB 9, 18, 27, 57

Current:  PB 52.  Boudicca of Maya

(December 19th, 2012, 07:41)AutomatedTeller Wrote: Did you take The Kraken? the pic seemed to show you failing to take it...

Right, I suppose that was a bit ambiguous. Boldly had an axe and a spear in the city, so I weakened the axe with two axes, took out the spear with above C2/Shock monster, and then cleaned up with a chariot.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0296.JPG]

Unable to keep the city, I'm making a settler in Asterix now to replace it 1N on the hill. Asterix needs to grow a little more with silks coming online soon, but the Hanging Gardens have at least brought it up to near world standards...not Boldly's Size 15 monster, but we can't have everything.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0298.JPG]

Amusingly, Confucianism founded in Obelix, so for what its worth (very little), I have a double holy city! Obelix finished the missionary for the next island city and will now work on courthouse to cut back on the nearly 10gpt maintenance burden.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0294.JPG]

Fullyautomatix is looking better and better. Kids, this is why you like the Hanging Gardens: Supercharging new cities since 2004. Incense is online now, and the couple of hills will get mined shortly.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0297.JPG]

As you can see in the above screens, I opted to hit Aesthetics->Literature first before going elsewhere; given my lack of Polytheism, the Paya is a better bet for religion, and of course I need the Great Library or I really am out of this.

Nice of Boldly to chop the jungle and pre-road the stone for you...

(December 19th, 2012, 10:28)DaveV Wrote: Nice of Boldly to chop the jungle and pre-road the stone for you...

No kidding. Now if we could just do something about that nasty green holy city culture on the tile...

...I'm thinking maybe a Great Lighthouse.

(December 19th, 2012, 10:45)Commodore Wrote:
(December 19th, 2012, 10:28)DaveV Wrote: Nice of Boldly to chop the jungle and pre-road the stone for you...

No kidding. Now if we could just do something about that nasty green holy city culture on the tile...

...I'm thinking maybe a Great Lighthouse.

OR! lots and lots of axes and catapults! hammerhammerhammer
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

Heh. Lack of banter thread is fine, but I appreciate the low-level banter we've managed in between Gaul and Villan-land. I got this with the save:
[Image: RELEASE-THE-KRAKEN.jpg]

heart Boldly

(December 19th, 2012, 11:24)Bigger Wrote: OR! lots and lots of axes and catapults! hammerhammerhammer

Ah, yes. You see, though, the issue is that Megatron is very well guarded, and this side of knights/musketeers, I don't have anything to disembark to take it. It really would massively open up Lake Commodore, though:
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0301.JPG]

This turn's news is that we're now into the two million mark, woot. Also, as can be seen, Boldly pillaged the pasture on my horse. I'm okay with it, I'll take 3 GG points and a promo on that spear. Who needs horses anyway? I'm going to have musketmen that can 2-move.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0299.JPG]

Finally: Our second and final +5 land food got improved!
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0300.JPG]

Great library location, eh?