As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

It's Chevalier's Thread and He Can Do What He Wants To

Late turn. Have pictures later.

No real news - everyone but me and Emperor grew last turn, which makes sense since we moved. I grow next turn.

Slinger is finished and I send him to scout the southeast, there might be room for a city south of the desert that way.
I Think I'm Gwangju Like It Here

A blog about my adventures in Korea, and whatever else I feel like writing about.

Here's a picture:

Looks like there's not a whole lot to the west - Granada is on the sea, then I think the coast extends south and east until it reaches the desert peninsula southwest of Escobar. Unfortunately, I can't see anyway to pick up those teas with a non-shitty city. :/

Escobar's location also precludes a city on the wheat to the north, or I'd think about one there eventually. Might be a possible copper town on the far side of the lake. Not a lot of fantastic land, I have to say, at least north or west. Maybe south and east will yield better results, or else we've got to get off our island soon.

A blog about my adventures in Korea, and whatever else I feel like writing about.

(June 18th, 2018, 10:46)Chevalier Mal Fet Wrote: If they count for the Ballistic Science eureka, I dunno, maybe worth keeping around, building 2, and then killing them? But I'm almost certain they don't.

I built two during my collapse in PBEM 6 - they do not count for the eureka.
Sending units to their death since 2017.

Don't do what I did: PBEM 3 - Arabia , PBEM 6 - Australia This worked well enough: PBEM 10 - Aztecs Gamus Interruptus: PBEM 14 - Indonesia 
Gathering Storm Meanderings: PBEM 15 - Gorgo You Say Pítati, I Say Potato: PBEM 17 - Nubia The Last of the Summer Wine: PBEM 18 - Eleanor/England
Rhymin' Simon: PBEM 20 - Indonesia (Team w/ China)

Granada's terrain isn't too appealing, but later on it might be able to share that 1/3 hill tile with Zobrist. Slinger is slogging through the thick hills south of Escobar, where again it's more solid hills. There might be a productive city possible down here, but again food will be a problem. 

Overall, the island has a very, uh, segregated set-up. Do you want food? All the wheat, floodplains, and marsh tiles are in the north, along the Zobrist river. Do you want luxuries? Most of the luxuries are concentrated in the west, where the land is flat as a pancake. 3 luxuries in a 2-tile radius out there, while my capital has 0 within 3. Hills? All the hills seem to be clustered in the north and around the capital.

It's going to make for some very odd city set-ups. A city founded for production won't have any luxuries. A city founded to grab the luxuries will never be able to build anything. Zobrist will grow fast but only has 1 luxury and not as many hills as I'd like. And nowhere is there as much forest or jungle as I'd like, but that's because I'm spoiled by PBEM8's jungle heavy start, I think. As I push south towards the equator the vegation should grow more thick.

There is a shitton of desert on my starting island, though. We've got desert to the east of us, desert to the west at Granada, and now desert to the south. I guess Cornflakes made these starts challenge mode, eh? Well, we'll see what we can do with it. Probably half the island yet to explore. 

Need to start district mapping and plotting tech paths. At least the low-pop cities means I don't have to stress too much about districts! lol

So what's the city naming convention here? I'm enjoying my "Former Tampa Bay Rays middle infielders with an Arabic twist" theory, but I imagine you have something different in mind.

Turn 10

Slow turns. Exploring to the south, I think there's potential for another city down here. Coupled with the northeast, I may be able to get 5 mediocre (more or less) cities onto the island, and add Granada for a 6th mediocre city. Really hope my neighboring islands have good potential, because I'm just underwhelmed by the terrain.

International news: Rowain met a religious state, since he is 1st in religious rankings. Emperor is still growing to size 2. 

Quote:So what's the city naming convention here? I'm enjoying my "Former Tampa Bay Rays middle infielders with an Arabic twist" theory, but I imagine you have something different in mind.

That...is actually a lot closer than I expected anyone on this site to get, on a first guess. Nice job! 

Well, since the game is slow, perhaps you guys will permit me to tell you a story. Fair warning, it is a long story. In fact, I will probably need multiple posts to tell it all. And it may not be to all of y'alls' liking, because it is about baseball, not Civ. But if you bear with me and have patience, in the end - well, we'll see if you appreciate anything in the end. smile

Anyway. Story time. Gather 'round, children. 

I like to name my cities after things that are important to me, while also thematically matching up with my civilization. When I played England, I channeled my love of naval history and named all my cities after great naval battles. When I played Korea, I went with a science fiction theme, but nothing too serious, so I chose Culture novels. For Arabia, my choice was twofold. The second part of each name is to make sure that I have a suitably Arabian flair to my civ. I'm simply naming each city after one of the 99 attributes of God. Translated, my first city is Escobar, the Gracious. City #2 would be Zobrist, the Merciful. City #3 will be Cain al Malik, or Cain, the King. 

So what's going on with those first names? Well, one of the most precious memories in my life are the Kansas City Royals baseball team. The reason is because of my grandfather. See, Papa was a huge Royals fan all my life. He started following the team right from their foundation in 1969 and never wavered. This is significant, friends, because the Royals, for most of my life, were terrible

Now, maybe you follow sports in your home city or country. Maybe you don't. You may have the vague impression that "oh yeah, we know what it's like to have terrible teams. England can never make it anywhere in the World Cup..." or "Washington is the most cursed sports city on the planet..." or "Houston never wins ANYTHING" Well, I contend that in the years between 1985 and 2014, Kansas City was the most cursed sports city in North America. 

See, most cities just lose in the playoffs. Like, the Cubs? They had the most famous curse in the world, going 108 years without winning a World Series championship. Red Sox? Same deal. No championships. But those famous cursed teams were at least playing in the playoffs. At least they had a chance. The Cubs had the Bartman game. The Red Sox had Carlton Fisk and Bill Buckner and Aaron Boone. Even though they lost in the end, those teams had moments that united them, moments that fans could talk and bond with each other about. Kansas City? We had nothing. Because neither of our two professional teams even won a single playoff game for 20 years.

The Chiefs, the local (American) football team, had a habit of losing disastrously in any playoff game they played. They'd find new and creative ways to lose - missing 6 field goals. Blowing a 28 point lead in the last 10 minutes of the game. Losing despite not giving up a single touchdown. It was absurd. And the Royals? Well, the poor Royals never even MADE the playoffs. 29 years, from 1985 until 2014 (when our story begins), they missed the playoffs. 

And we're not talking heartbreaking pennant races that fell just short. No, there was no drama here. There was just quiet, hopeless, failure, year after year after year. For almost three decades. The Royals were usually out of the running by August. They couldn't even manage a winning record for 18 out of 19 years, from 1993 to 2013. The on-field product was appalling - on an easy pop fly, outfielders would look at each other and happily jog towards the dugout, content in teh knowledge that the other guy would catch it, as the ball dropped forgotten behind them. A center fielder would climb the outfield wall to catch a home run - only to see the ball land 20 feet short of him. The first baseman tried to throw home and knocked the pitcher unconscious when he accidentally punched him in the face on the throw (true story. All true stories). And in Kansas City, we didn't have championship droughts - we had any kind of meangingful victory drought. We had nothing.

And through all this, my grandpa faithfully cheered for the Royals. I thought he was an idiot for wasting his time on such nonsense. He continued to invite me to go to games with him (I declined every time), and told me that one day, they would rewards his patience. That day should have come on September 30, 2014. For reasons I will get into, it did not. But the events of that day did forever change both our lives. But that I will have to tell another day, because I'm going to bed now.

How does the story end? I'm at the edge of my seat here and actually very afraid that it will be a sad story.

(June 22nd, 2018, 02:50)Ituralde Wrote: How does the story end? I'm at the edge of my seat here and actually very afraid that it will be a sad story.

It has some twists and turns, and there are some places where I felt like I was punched in the gut, but I believe it is happy in the end (and I lived through it). You'll have to decide for yourself. smile

Love your reporting thumbsup and also captivated by the story.

Quote:I guess Cornflakes made these starts challenge mode, eh?

mischief I wouldn't go that fa.... er, maybe so. Certainly not as lush starts as previous maps I've made. But if this is any reassurance, I'd pick your start if given the choice. I'll be following along with interest to see how you solve the food challenge yup

Turn 11

Moving south, my slinger spots our first barb and traps the scout against the coast. I'll start whacking him - the terrain between here and the capital is rough, so hopefully I can murder him before he gets a chance to report back. No sign of the camp, so it lies further to the south. 

The scout is also standing on a short river, which makes this a fresh water coastal site, and looks like a good candidate for city #2 or #3. Accordingly, I've pinned two possibilities for Cain al Malik, to be further investigated:

Founding on site B lets me pasture the sheep for a little more food (or is it just +1 production on a sheep pasture? Can never remember). It also has 2/1 grassland hills to work, superior to the not-very-useful desert hills to the north. Both sites get the nice fox tile, and can share a 1/3 hill with the capital. 

Founding site A preserves the 2/2 forest for later chopping, and lets me pack in the cities a bit closer. With space limited on the island, and the terrain here looking promising, it might be good to take the hit on the desert hills in order to squeeze in an extra city in the south. It all depends on the terrain down there, so we don't have to decide yet. 

In international news, the three first-turn founders (Archduke, Rowain, and Japper) all finished their first techs, as expected. Archduke also picked up 2 era points. From my chart, the only possibility this early in the game is a barb camp destroyed. I'm also on top of the domination rankings, with an intact warrior and slinger, so the others opened with scouts/builders or have been having a bit of combat, or both. 

So much for civ. Let's continue the story of How Chevalier Got His Naming Theme. 

September 24th, 2014, my grandpa called me. I was expecting the call - it was my 25th birthday, after all. I was in class, though, finishing up the last year of my master's degree in education, so I wasn't able to answer. He and grandma left me a nice voicemail, but of course I called them anyway as soon as I got out of class. 

"Hey, buddy! Happy birthday!" You could hear the happiness even in his gruff voice (roughed by years of smoking - but he had given up cigarettes 20 years before and never touched them since). 

"Thanks, Papa. I'm glad you called."

"Say, when are you going to come see me again?"

"Well, I have a lot of class, but I should be able to make a trip back to KC sometime next weekend. I'll come see you after your surgery, how about that?"

A few weeks before, doctors had discovered a loose bloodclot in Papa's bloodstream. Not immediately dangerous, but there was the chance that it could detach and cause a heart attack or stroke down the road. A ticking time bomb, essentially - so the family had talked him, with some reluctance, into undergoing a slightly risky operation to get it removed. He was young, as grandfathers go - only 72, with a 25-year old grandson. We'd been close ever since I was a kid. He had helped me on countless school projects - our diorama of the Battle of Gettysburg belongs in a museum, it was so detailed and gorgeously modelled (grandpa liked building landscapes for model trains), I had interviewed him in-depth about his life and experiences for history class once, and my girlfriend had even dogsat for them for 6 months while they were in Florida one spring. I visited my grandparents every chance I got. 

"My surgery is in about a week. September 30th."

"Arright, well, I'll come see you next weekend, then."

"Say, you been watchin' the Royals?"

"You know the answer to that question. Why should I tune in to watch us get our butts kicked?"

"Don't be too quick to judge, buddy! They might make the playoffs this year!" 

"I'll believe that when I see it." 

I was right to be skeptical. 

See, the Royals had the longest postseason drought of ANY professional team in all 4 major North American sports. Football, baseball, basketball, and hockey - over 100 professional franchises. Out of all them, the Royals had gone the longest without any sort of playoff trip. 29 years, to be precise, since their lone World Series victory in 1985, 4 years before my birth. The next closest team, the Toronto Blue Jays, had only waited 21 years. 

Throughout those 29 years, ownership had promised success just around the corner. And year after year, the hapless franchise continued to lose. Not dramatic, exciting losses, but quiet, dull futility. Mathematical elimination came in August most years (the regular season ends in September). 

In 2006 - 8 years before - Royals ownership brought in a new GM, Dayton Moore, formerly assistant manager with the Atlanta Braves, who promised that his Process would bring results and restore a winning tradition to Kansas City. But the Process dragged on, and on, seemingly without end. Each new piece Dayton acquired never seemed to pan out. 2004 brought Billy Butler, a chubby kid with a gift for hitting - but he never became the power hitter he should have been. In 2005, Alex Gordon was drafted. A third-baseman, he was widely touted as the next George Brett - the greatest player in Royals history, their lone member in the Baseball Hall of Fame (and now part-owner of the team). But Gordon struggled, and struggled, and was eventually demoted to the minor leagues. 2006, Luke Hochevar, supposedly a once-in-a-generation pitching talent who became one of the worst starting pitchers in the game. 2007, Mike Moustakas, a replacement third baseman for Alex Gordon, who never developed the power with the bat that he once promised. 2008, Eric Hosmer, a first-baseman with one of the most beautiful swings in all of baseball - but he for some reason couldn't hit. 

In trades, the Royals' best pitcher was traded to the Milwaukee Brewers for Lorenzo Cain, a young man who had barely played 40 games in the majors, and Alcides Escobar, a flashy defensive shortstop. The Royals' best prospect was traded to the Tampa Bay Rays for James Shields, a decent starting pitcher, and Wade Davis, a failed starter who was just supposed to eat innings. The Process dragged on, and the losing continued, but what I didn't know was that the pieces were there for something special.

In 2013, the Royals won more games than they lost for only the second time since 1993. 

And now, in 2014, with just a few games left in the season, they were chasing a  playoff birth, with real hope for the first time in three decades. 

Billy Butler never developed his power, and his unathletic form couldn't play the field - but he could hit doubles like no one else, and he made a rock-solid Designated Hitter (a player who only bats, and never plays defense). 

Alex Gordon shifted from third base to left field in the minors - and he became one of the best defenders in the game, earning 3 Gold Gloves as a left fielder (2014 would bring him a 4th Gold Glove, the award given to the best defender in the league). Lorenzo Cain's fast, lanky build made him a top center fielder, and any flyball hit to center in the expansive confines of the Royals' Kauffman stadium was run down by the smiling young man. Alcides Escobar became one of the best shortstops in the game, and Moustakas and Hosmer came up through the minors and took their spots on the major league squad, promising someday to develop into the stars they could be. From Latin America came Salvador Perez, an optimistic young man with a dazzling smile and an arm like a cannon, establishing himself as one of the best young catchers in the game. Latin America also contributed Yordano Ventura, with a lightning arm, a fiery temper, and a fierce fastball, and Kelvin Herrera, one of the best relief pitchers in the game. Wade Davis also became a relief pitcher and revealed hitherto unseen talent, becoming almost untouchable pitching in one or two innings a game. Second base was covered by Omar Infante, a solid position player, and the Royals signed Japanese player Nori Aoki to cover right field.

Gradually, the Royals had established the best defensive squad in baseball. Their starting pitching was not great, but between Herrera, Davis, Hochever, and closer Greg Holland they had the best relief pitching in baseball. They weren't the best team in the game - but tehy could compete. They could make the playoffs - maybe.

Baseball has the most restrictive playoffs of any of the 4 major North American sports. The major leagues are 2 in number: The National League, and the American League. Each league consists of 15 teams divided into 3 equal divisions. The team to win the most games in each division makes the playoffs, but the top 2 runners up also get a chance: the wild card.

Most of the time, baseball is played in the series - a set of 3, 5, or 7 games, winner of the majority of the games takes the series. But not the wild card teams. These teams face each other in a single game. Winner gets the chance to go to the playoffs. Loser goes home. One game to decide the fate of your entire season.

That September, the Royals finally ended their playoff drought when they qualified for the wild card spot. They would face the Oakland A's in a single double-elimination game on September 30th. 

The same day, my grandpa was wheeled into surgery.