As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[SPOILER] Kyan + thestick. Is that the best you can do?

I guess we're going with the Carthaginians, then.

Still, don't these starting techs leave a lot to be desired? No roads or land food, just Bronze Working and Work Boats.
(March 12th, 2024, 07:40)naufragar Wrote:"But naufragar, I want to be an emperor, not a product manager." Soon, my bloodthirsty friend, soon.

thestick Wrote:I guess we're going with the Carthaginians, then.

Still, don't these starting techs leave a lot to be desired? No roads or land food, just Bronze Working and Work Boats.

Agriculture or hunting (based on starting food) would be finished before our first worker is out. Roads aren't terribly vital. There will likely be a second tile we can farm until BW comes in at which point we can begin chopping and whipping.

It all depends on the map and yeah, they're far from ideal, but they're not as bad as they could be. Heck, if we get seafood start, these are potentially one of the strongest combinations.

Agree. Bronze Working, chop out Work Boat, and whip everything.

So, uh, when do we get to see our start?
(March 12th, 2024, 07:40)naufragar Wrote:"But naufragar, I want to be an emperor, not a product manager." Soon, my bloodthirsty friend, soon.

Kyan Wrote:Ok. I agree. Once you've received confirmation, feel free to make our pick official. I'd like brians p.o.v. Pick has been with us for sometime, mostly due to me.

I'm a ded. lurker not a player, so while I can give advice, you can't blame me if it is bad :neenernee.

Apart from that if Kyan likes Carthage, then I'd say go with Carthage.
Travelling on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

Sian - Julius Caesar (Imperialistic/Organized) of the Vikings (Fishing/Hunting/Beserker/Trading Post)
Leader: More ICS fun? Fast settlers and lower maintenance, but no economic traits besides that.
Techs: Pretty bad. Fishing won***8217;t be good without Bronze Working. Hunting might be okay if there***8217;s Deer, but he gets stuck with a Scout. I wonder if he***8217;ll get Warrior choked.
UU and UB are obvious water picks. I***8217;m not too worried, though. I think land armies will be more important.

Shoot the Moon - Catherine (Creative/Imperialistic) of the Mali (Mining/The Wheel/Skirmisher/Mint)
Leader: ICS alert!
Techs: Another ICS alert! With no natural food techs, research Bronze Working and chop your way to expansion.
Even the UU could be an ICS alert. Build Skirmishers everywhere and hole up in your cities. Of course, he could as easily choke someone with them. Mints are decent (we considered them), but they probably aren***8217;t too overpowered without Industrious boosting them or the Industrious Oracle.

Nakor - Pericles (Creative/Philosophical) of the Koreans (Mysticism/Mining/Hwacha/Seowon)
Leader: Anyone else see him building Creative Libraries followed by hiring Scientists everywhere?
Techs: Still bad, no early food and reliance on either researching an early food tech or Bronze Working chops.
Hwachas look like decent Catapult replacements for shredding field armies. Philosophical Seowons look like a decent synergy. Wow, his pick works together nicely. Is it better than just picking strong traits, though?

mackoti - Ramesses (Spiritual/Industrious) of Sumeria (Agriculture/The Wheel/Vulture/Ziggurat)
Leader: Yet another Industrious leader. Spiritual isn***8217;t that good except for mass civic switches and monk economies, right?
Techs: Good starting techs.
Vultures could be a problem, being as strong as Swordsmen but still getting odds on Axemen. Plus, they get coinflip odds on Horse Archers. We considered Sumeria for the Ziggurat, and he***8217;ll probably spam those everywhere for an economy. Could you imagine someone being Catherine of the Sumerians?

Musicman/Catwalk - Pacal (Expansive/Financial) of Inca (Agriculture/Mysticism/Quechua/Terrace)
I have nothing to say here. Great leader, great civ. Surprised they didn't pick India.

How are we going to handle turnplaying? Have a dedicated turnplayer, take turns filling the position, or just whoever's online when the save rolls in?

The Stick:

Cre/Philo is a good choice IMO. Cre gives you the free border pops, and discounts on the building (Library) that really pushes Philo. If you're Philo you want to build early libraries, and with Cre they come even quicker at half the price.

Spi can also be massive. You don't eat anarchy, ever, allowing you to be very flexible in your approach to the game. You've been declared upon, you've too many peasants; go to slavery and whip. You need that scientist to get to Lib first; go to Representation, Caste and Pacifism. You need the commerce to boost your economy; go to Emancipation, Free Speech and Representation (also giving you an outlet to spend that extra money on, for late wars &c.). Yes you do need the techs/wonders to unlock the civics but when they're there you can chop and change every five turns with no penalty, allowing you to really customise your game to the circumstances you find yourself in.

All in all though pretty strong picks, except for the Vikings. It's a good warring civ, but without Lodbrok I can't see them managing to stay in the game long enough.

As regards Pacal of India, I think Musicman goofed here, he could have gone with Tokugawa of Celtica for goodness sakes!
Travelling on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

thestick Wrote:Spiritual isn’t that good except for mass civic switches and monk economies, right?

Financial isn't that good except for bringing in lots of commerce, right?

Gah, I messed up, TheMusicMan is Pacal of Inca.

I guess I just underrate Spiritual.

Happy Birthday!

[Image: EN92U.jpg]