As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

One More Mod

Since I discovered the tweaker I couldn't stop making changes to the game. Here is my version, made for my own enjoyment (it has no pretention of being a "balance" mod), but some may like to test.

last version : http://www.sendspace.com/file/yrx42u

My most important changes were in the building tree, as I wanted to offer more choice in early game / for new settlements while also opening alchemist guilds and war college to more races but slowing a little the military and powerful buildings developpment.

So,
- I removed the builder's hall requirement for granary, shrine and library. Builder's hall is instead used to enable tier 2 buildings (temple, guilds, etc..), and has a slightly increased cost.
- I made a smithy needed for sawmill and barracks, and barracks + builder hall needed for city walls
- A temple is now needed to produce shamans, so no building allowing to build troops better than spearmen is directy available
- I changed requirement for alchemist guild, now only needing library and armory, but increased its cost a lot
- as well for war college, the requirements have been lowered to fighter guild and sage guild
- armorer's guild is so now more optional than before (for races not getting good units at this stage nor needing it for fantastic stables) but I gave it a cool effect : it now reduce a lot the upkeep of fighter's guild (from 5 to 1)
- there are cross requirement for religious and research buildings, slowing the access to mage and priests (sage guild is needed for parthenon, temple is needed for university)

The effect of these changes is to offer more interesting choices in early and mid game. For example with fighter guild, armory and sage guild you have the possibility to directly research the very expensive war college to get better troops, or first go for armorer's guild to reduce your cost, or another possibility is to make the alchemist guild all races can now build.

I also made a lot of change to units and races...

As I wanted to make terrain more important and combat less predictable, a lot of units (notably all non dwarves swordsmen and most elite racial units) get an extra 0,5 movement point, allowing them to move 2 tiles through clear terrain, and making harder to use fire and retreat against them in combat.

Halberdiers and spearmen remain as slow as before, but halberdiers have been largely boosted (at the price of an increased cost) all getting armor piercing attack and better defense, and spearmen, while still crappy, now have negate first strike for most races.

To compensate the melee units being faster, all bowmen have recieved +1 to their ranged attack, or some other bonuses.

For the races, my main goal was to make generic races less generic, so I mostly changed orcs and nomads.

Orcs have now more special units : their swordsmen have 2 movement (haven't they outrun Aragorn ?), their bowmen and shamans are mountaineers, and they get very special "mages" (in fact more necromancers), not good at range but able to teleport in combat and turning defeated enemies into undead. On the other hand orcs have lost the ability to build cathedrals, making harder for them to developp big cities.

Nomads are more nomads and the globally fastest race (only equalled by gnolls). All their troops got increased movement at the price of reduced combat stats. They also get settlers moving at 2 and able to defend themselves, and the fastest outpost growth, but an as bad city growth as elves, and they have lost the ability to build cathedral, mechanician and animist guilds, while now having access to their own mages, who don't use fire ball spell but have a wind walking ability.

Dwarves is the only race to remain as slow as in vanilla, with only move 1 units, but now all dwarves have the construction ability, while their engineers have been replaced by (rather crappy) slingers, their melee units got increased defense, and their golem is now the only recruitable magic immune creature (an ability I removed from paladins).

Halflings, to simulate their small size making hard to hit them at range have all recieved the large shield bonus (which was also increased to 3 shields).

High elves have a scouting bonus for their cavalry and longbowmen, who also recieved the long range ability. Their mages now use nature magic, and instead of fireball are now able to cast a heal spell.

Lizardmen have special shamans, more expensive than others but who have learned from lizards replacing their tails how to regenerate, and their javeliners use poison now. While still having no access to buildings increasing production, lizardmen can now build sage and alchemist guilds as well as war colleges.

Dark elves non caster units have lost one ranged shot, while their casters have gained one. Their warlocks now use the web spell instead of doom bolt, more thematic for a race worshiping a spider goddess and a little less frustrating when you have to take their cities in endgame. They are also now able to planeshift, so beware of surprise warlocks attack.

Trolls now have war mammoths that should be feared, being the strongest unit with first strike and armor piercing and also cold immune. Out of that and the ability to build alchemist guilds they also get mountaineer swordsmen and shamans.

High men paladins have been made more paladins than immune tanks, losing their magic immunity (replaced by a death and stoning only one) but gaining healing abilities (finally that's an healer unit that should survive some fights especially as their defense has been increased too).

Barbarians and draconians are mostly unchanged but their special units got a little boost (first strike for berserkers, more defense for doom drakes)

Finally I changed many spell casting costs (and some effects) too.
- All nature summons as well as early death and chaos ones have largely reduced casting costs, so expect to see large armies of skeletons, bears or hell hounds early
- I nerfed some spells I find very annoying / overpowered like disenchant area (cost increased to 90, so it should be rarely seen on battlefield before very endgame ; on the other hand I reduced the costs of standard dispell magic and disenchant true), flame strike (reduced damage by half), crack calls (cost increased), meteor storm (casting cost doubled) and confusion (save a little easier and now not affecting illusion immune creatures)
-I made harder to resist against warp creature
-I reduced the cost of some death globals like eternal night, which combined with cheaper summons should make death as powerful as other schools
-I reduced a little spell of mastery research cost but increased its casting cost to 8k mana

First version : [url="http://www.filefactory.com/file/3xndw973flsj/n/onemoremod_zip
"]http://www.filefactory.com/file/3xndw973flsj/n/onemoremod_zip
[/url]
v2 http://www.sendspace.com/file/qscr7p

Welcome to the (mod) party! thumbsup

Interesting mod, most changes make sense, expecially increasing the range attack to compensate increased speed of the units, other changes I don't like (Paladins, Warlocks), but Hey, as I said elsewhere: modding is changing the game to better suit our tastes. smile

P.S: you mod is based on what version of MoM?
Only the people crazy enough to think they can change the world of Arcanus and Myrror can do it. rolleye

It's based on the last insecticide patch (v1.40n).

What is the main idea of your mod? Speed,balance of races?(you think they must be equally strong?),Is it full realize of your idea? Please,annoy the main ideas of your mod.it must explain,why you decide to do such changes.
Ideally,you can say 'if you think so,you will make same changes';otherwise you just master your own game for your own taste.

I don't think a mod should have one goal, out of being enjoyable to play or renew the game experience.
Anyway I thought I explained why I made most changes. If you want a resume...

1/ goal for building changes is to offer a less linear tree, so more early choices, and open alchemist guild to every race so mithril/adamantium are important no matter who you play
2/ goal for unit/speed changes is to make terrain more important, combat less predictable and all units have a function even in late game
3/ goal for race changes is to make the races feel more different and closer to the ideas I have of them (ie : in 30 years of playing various versions of D&D I heard of paladins having healing abilities but not of paladins immune to all magic, so I changed their skill)
4/ goal for summoning costs change is to make more summons cost effective, and strengthen nature and death as summoning schools (and death more likely to field hordes of cheap undeads)
5/ goal for the few spell nerfs is to make the defender casting first advantage less frustrating (ie : reducing flame strike damage and nerfing disenchant area cost), and push later in end game the use of spells AI don't know how to counter properly (ie : meteor storm) I explained my gripes with some spells there

Finally it's not a balance mod, but I tried not to make the balance worse by adding some bonus to every race when I clearly buffed orcs and fast races to make them more special.

Quote:- I removed the builder's hall requirement for granary, shrine and library. Builder's hall is instead used to enable tier 2 buildings (temple, guilds, etc..), and has a slightly increased cost.
i like this alot.
dance!

Version 2

- corrected some mistakes I made in last minute changes (all engineers were renamed slingers instead of only dwarven engineers, disenchant true had a reduced cost instead of dispell magic true, and a few v1 listed changes weren't really present -just made in my connected test game)

- reduced most summons upkeep cost, and some debuff casting costs (warp creature 18->12, shatter 12->9)

- all creatures having special attack recieved immunity against this attack (ie : all fire breathing are also fire immune)

- all lizardmen (but not dragon turtle) made poison immune, and their javeliners recieved a poison attack

- all spearmen not having fire breath or throwing weapons recieved one extra spear they will use like a javelin (strength 1 ranged attack) ; the stronger trolls recieved a rock instead (strength 2 ranged attack ignoring missile protection)

- replaced priests with clerics, who are defensive melee fighters (5 figurines, decent attack and high defense, +1 hp, no ranged attack for non dark elves) and get special racial powers (in addition to their heal spell)
high men clerics : dispell evil
nomad clerics : illusion immune and resistance to all
beastmen clerics : immolation and fire immune
dark elves clerics : remain weak in melee and have an higher cost but can summon one demon in combat and have a powerful ranged attack (note that they need to summon their demon before being able to cast their heal spell) ;

- demons have been weakened a little (melee 12 instead of 14)

- made some shamans special too : barbarian shamans are weaker at range than others but have 6 figurine and decent melee, they have also been made cold immune (and berserkers as well) ; halfling shamans are missile immune ; lizardmen shamans regenerate

- gave Merlin 5 death and 5 life, and Kali 2 life and 8 death*, for people wanting to test life + death combos (taking them with default picks you can ignore the "no life + death" restriction)

- increased the chance of encountering different races on the same continent

- orc cavalry made mounted axe throwers (no first strike and only 3 melee but strength 3 throwing weapon), high men cavalry more heavy (4 defense, 2,5 move), elf and barbarian cavalry lighter (3,5 moves, 2 defense)

- halfling bowmen recieved +1 to hit instead of one more ranged

- wizard's guild cost reduced to 800 (compensate alchemist guild increased cost for mage nations)

(* wanted to give her 2 in all schools but it seems giving more than 2 schools to a default wizard don't work)

Quote:- gave Merlin 5 death and 5 life, and Kali 2 life and 8 death*, for people wanting to test life + death combos (taking them with default picks you can ignore the "no life + death" restriction)
It doesn't work well.

Tested years ago, so can't remember the details, IIRC wrong mana generation calculation, problems with Good/Bad moon, Diplomacy messed up and only life (or only death) heroes summoned. smile

Quote:- increased the chance of encountering different races on the same continent
How? How much? smile
Only the people crazy enough to think they can change the world of Arcanus and Myrror can do it. rolleye

FrancoK Wrote:It doesn't work well.

Tested years ago, so can't remember the details, IIRC wrong mana generation calculation, problems with Good/Bad moon, Diplomacy messed up and only life (or only death) heroes summoned. smile

I've played several hundred turns with him, had no big problem (don't remember if I encountered good/bad moons, hope they don't crash the game ; I got only good heroes I think ; not sure for diplomacy effects, everyone hates me but it's usual at impossible difficulty).

Quote:How? How much? smile

It's in Magic.exe customizer section of the tweaker. The base chance is 1/4 to have a random race (I think it's for every generated neutral city on a continent I'm not sure) and I made it 1/3.

v3

http://www.sendspace.com/file/yrx42u

just one change :

- removed construction from dwarves (out of their normal engineers) as it seems to create problems for AIs (who did things like sending their hammerhands to build roads when they were more needed in the army)

(- dwarven engineers keep their sling attacks but are called engineers again)