As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

spoilers: this aint no cakewalk, its a musicalcatwalk; pacal of inca

seriously guys no response? ok guess im gonna have to make a decision and kinda overrule you both. i think the best course of action is to go 1se onto that road and see where it leads. itll put him in a quandry as he could take the odds but if he fails and hasnt completely recked his plans by whipping a safety warrior we will get a shot at an open city. he could just leave it alone and offer peace again [which i wont accept again haha] or the worse case scenario is he kills our quechua. at least ill see what at the end of that road. hes roaded for a reason. could that be his [as yet unmined] copper? could it be a food resource? if he doesnt attack we could choke whatever that resource is.

im also making a decision with the settler. i do think that the rice site is best and could be a good whip-city for workers and settlers. its behind our capital at the moment with regards shoot so will be safe for now.

ok turn played [and still no input]

moved quechua 1se:

[Image: turn18shootfound0000.jpg]

still got those bad odds. and hes not even fortified yet! but oh look its corn by a river. so wed get that defense bonus for a choke! assuming the quechua gets there haha

options for the settler:

[Image: turn18east0000.jpg]

im in favour of 1nw of the rice now

and finally demos:

[Image: turn18demos0000.jpg]

I'd imagine those are the real odds. Hmm, not sure what to do. Can you see his worker?

Edit: whoops, missed your last post. I think I would pillage the corn, not sure what I would do next.
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

Hill for a 25 boost, city culture (I think?) for a 40 boost.... man.
MP
Pitboss Demo - Darrell's Tropical Trolls
PBEM45G - Sareln

I have no problems with 1NW of the rice. I'd make sure to chop a terrace into it as soon as possible, though, so that the fish is in range when we get fishing (plus all the food saved, etc.)
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

Yeah, don't take 3.4% odds. Should have messed with his worker, though. And yes, pillaging the corn sets him back a lot.

The timing of your settler is unfortunate, not sure why I thought BW would be done first. I agree with NW of rice, it's not a great site but we're not seeing anything great.

As for his road, I'm guessing it was simply a matter of using the spare turn to and from the corn site. Also, it connects his capital to the river.

hmm. shoot offered peace again and i can see its gone dark about his captial so ill accept ... for now haha

wtf?

[Image: turn19shootfound0000.jpg]

he took 32.2% odds and won? did the game fuck up and let him strike first too? otherwise why did he get a free hit? dammit! the gamble did not pay off. with hindsight moving onto the hill wouldve been better but hed have realised the choke potential and moved his warrior to block that. ill be back after the 10 turns shoot this time with axes haha!

im glad you both agree with the city site as i settled mr.mistoffelees this turn and set a worker building whilst working the corn. ill amend the build list in macavity to slot in an earlier settler instead.

i found i cocked up the worker turns and admetus will be standing idle on the forest hill waiting for bronze working before he can mine. so i moved him 1s and used the rest of turn to part-farm. he can move on as planned next turn

switched to a quechua building at macavity to grow to size 3 and bring the grassland mine into play.

[Image: turn19empire0000.jpg]

dammit! the new city has put bronze working back 1 turn! so that means admetus will have to bugger about part-farming the tile 1s of him. if id realised this id have brought forward the other mine.

at least demos are helthier in places:

[Image: turn19demos0000.jpg]

hang on. gnp is the same so why the delay in tech?

I'm guessing he whipped the warrior, meaning he would have another one ready at EOT. Otherwise there's no way he'd take those odds. I did forget about the possibility of getting two warriors like that, my bad. But yeah, sucks to lose at those odds frown

oh well we killed his economy for now haha

damn this build order is doin my head in!