As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

spoilers: this aint no cakewalk, its a musicalcatwalk; pacal of inca

Catwalk Wrote:or maybe 3W1S (plains hill tile, can share 1 cottage with capital).

at least that one has corn on the other side of the lake squares

I do not like mungojerrie. If you must place a city 1s of the fish, which I recommend not to do, then I think you should place a city 1SW of the horses, not 1SE (and move rumpleteazer). Being able to work a few coast tiles (mediocre-to-poor tiles even when financial, unless you have both the Colussus and a lighthouse) and one dry grassland is not worth a city with no food. The only way this city would be reasonable, imo, is as a filler with either the Colussus of the Great Lighthouse already built.

In my opinion, I would place the cities:

1N of the horses, 1 SW of the pigs, and 1 E of the cows. Ignoring the (very minor) benefit that in this arrangement the city tiles are a riverside plains, a dry grassland, and a riverside grassland, instead of 2 riverside grasslands and a dry grassland, there are only three real differences to this arrangement:

1) There is no "super city," instead, there are 3 strong cities. Imo, this makes better use of our (for-now) limited happy cap. Later in the game, once the happy cap is raised and the national epic is available, this becomes a moderate drawback. Overall, I consider this to be a wash.

2) There is no city like mungojerrie. It's not a bad city, per se, but it is a definite filler location, since it has no food. All three of my city spots are strong locations that will contribute very much.

3) Catwalk's suggestion of where to move rumpleteazer is no longer a valid spot. This is unfortunate, although I can not really tell how much, since I can't really see that area very well in the screenshots.

After much consideration, I realize the above is more strongly worded than how I actually feel. While I think my dotmap is better, it is only a small-to-moderate boost, in my opinion, and not a game-breaker at all.

Finally, I would like to mention that I am also a multiplayer newbie, and my opinions are not always correct.
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

I think I'd go with N of horses, NW of pigs and W of current rumpleteazer location. Gives 3 good locations, of which one can be used as a high food city later on. Also doesn't waste a forest.

I don't agree with IW this soon, Swordsmen are not much use and we don't have the manpower to start clearing jungle yet. I'd say pursue Currency after Fishing.

turn played guys

found ivory near the north cows so heres a map that can be played with:

[Image: turn30north0000.jpg]

sent alonzo to help with the road to bombalurina. at least thatll be 2 workers down there to get it up and running. the southern scouting quechua has found shoots horse to the east of his capital. not worked yet. checked eps and shoots back to spending on us - he had a little spat with sian last turn so either he took offence at the scout of hes found sians culture - so have switched to 2 on each [shoot: 48/50; sian 8/10]. thinking ill recall this quechua to cover the copper city

moved admetus 1n to road the tile 1e of the cows for the time being whist bill bailey is roading the rice he just farmed

hmm the settlers come out 1 turn late and i dont know why. checked my figures again and cant see anything unless the chop didnt get the bonus as hoped. oh well hell head south-west. im building a quechua so macavity can grow so ill send this down to cover the new city instaed of recalling the southern scouting one

I suggest cutting EP spending on Shoot, it's more important to get graphs on Sian. And if you keep spending on him, he's encouraged to keep spending on you. You both lose out on that.

I also think that Iron Working is not needed yet, and currency is always a nice tech to have. Interesting about the ivory. If there is nothing else nice west of the ivory, that changes my potential dotmap, although plains ivory is only an "okay" tile (1/3/1).
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

Catwalk Wrote:I suggest cutting EP spending on Shoot, it's more important to get graphs on Sian. And if you keep spending on him, he's encouraged to keep spending on you. You both lose out on that.

ill review the situation each turn then dont want to lose his just to gain sians quicker

Merovech Wrote:I also think that Iron Working is not needed yet, and currency is always a nice tech to have. Interesting about the ivory. If there is nothing else nice west of the ivory, that changes my potential dotmap, although plains ivory is only an "okay" tile (1/3/1).

what about calendar? we get sailing writing and mathematics on the way so currency would follow shortly afterwards

you can download that screenshot i posted to show us your city options

Calendar could be useful, we have a spice and will have a banana soon. I guess I'd get it slightly before I settle the copper city, but it would be fairly useful even now.

ok turn played. ive queued fishing writing and mathematics. then we could go sailing and calendar or currency after

settler is on its way to the copper city so were not going to do anything but work unimproved bananas for the time being. 2 workers are furiously roading haha

switched eps fully onto sian. shoot is at 48/52 now so he didn't spend on us last turn. sian is now 10/16 [at end of turn]

how are these city sites guys?

[Image: turn31north0000.jpg]

mungojerrie is where you both suggested. old deuteronomy has 2 options - the northern site will only be used if something useful is hiding in the fog if not the southern site shares the pigs as well as the fish with mungojerrie. rumpleteazer has been pushed further out - it has the wet corn as well as the 2 lakes and the ivory. just realised it can go 1w if needed

I like this a lot more; just make sure to get a terrace into mungojerrie quickly:it has some nice second ring tiles. Is there any chance that Mr. Mistoffeles will be able to make a workboat for it as well as for its own fish? Having a netted clams on the turn it is settled would be nice.