As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Next RBTS SG: Finally Ready for Noble

Flood plains = much rarer than usual.
Precious few of them from that map script.

Dantski Wrote:Other obvious things that came to mind.

1. Def. want Colossus and plenty of coastal cities.
2. Use extra GPT to get as many resources from AI as possible?
3. Early alphabet
4. Floodplains = more yummy than normal

Hmm...I was thinking units, units and more units. Beyond the tech to unlock our resourceless UU, and Bronze Working for chops, Palace commerce might be better spent towards cash in case we overexpand. Well, I'm curious to see what line of play Sulla had in mind, he's obviously thought about this.

One last question: unrestricted leaders? Kublai Kahn of the Native American's seems like a good idea. If not, I did leave Sitting Bull off the list of possible leaders with resourceless UUs. Actually, Skirmisher and Bowman should also be considered. Maybe Gilgamesh of the Mali?

Darrell

Hammurabi (agg/org) of the Mayans (resouceless UU and +2 happy UB) would be good as well.

darrelljs Wrote:One last question: unrestricted leaders? Kublai Kahn of the Native American's seems like a good idea. If not, I did leave Sitting Bull off the list of possible leaders with resourceless UUs. Actually, Skirmisher and Bowman should also be considered. Maybe Gilgamesh of the Mali?
We are not playing Unrestricted leaders. Better get used to that Protective/Philosophical pairing. (I did state that we would be playing the Native Americans in the very first post. smile )

It's nice to see so many comments and interested posts popping up so quickly. Due to the fact that we've played several SGs together, I'm going to have to tab Zeviz for the last spot. That makes the overall list look like this:

Sullla
darrelljs
Compromise
Zeviz

A small team, but as I said, four players is my favorite size for SGs. I rolled some maps until getting one that looked decent, here's the start:

[Image: RBTS6-1s.jpg]

It fulfilled the requirement of both being on a river, and being on a river that empties into the ocean. (It would be disastrous to be on a river that emptied into an inland lake!) I'll see if I can get to this today and start it; hopefully so, since the early turns go fast.
Follow Sullla: Website | YouTube | Livestream | Twitter | Discord

Ok, seeing as how Sullla has made his selections, I'd like to gauge interest in running a "b-team" on this one. There are several directions we could go...from simply picking a different leader or map, to slightly varying the rules, to lowering the difficulty, but first I'd like to see what the interest level would be live.

In order to play the game on Noble, I'd probably like players who have at least won on BtS Emperor (SP or in a SG). I won't count expressions of interest in this thread so far as potential sign-ups, since playing on the "a-team" with Sullla may have had more appeal...so if you would like a "b-team" spot go ahead and post.

I would be on board for a b-team.
Lets use the same game as the a-team for better comparison.
A bit like the cultural conquest SGs.
mh
"You have been struck down!" - Tales of Dwarf Fortress
---
"moby_harmless seeks thee not. It is thou, thou, that madly seekest him!"

I'd play the on the 'b' team as well. Agree that we should play the same game as the 'a' team.

In the spoiler, I'm going to make comments specifically about the game, so anyone interested in playing "uncorrupted" on the B (for "better!") team can skip my comments

Edit: What are the spoiler tags? I've changed the font color so that it's hard to read unless you highlight it:

I think we're in for a rough ride. On Noble, we might get a chance to knock out an AI early if we find a reasonably nearby capital on flatland. Even 3 warriors have a good chance of taking such a capital if we're very fast.

I'd give serious consideration to settling on the plains hill (probably not the one with sheep though since it's off the river). The extra hammer would be nice, though from the looks of the opening screenshot, that will take the corn out of range. Not being on the river (for a commerce coin), that might not be as big a deal.

As for the game, my initial thinking is that Conquest may very well be the way to go. Resourceless dogs can come quickly. If we can take out a civ or two near us quickly, we'll need to fight long distance. A "scorched earth" policy might even be useful if we take a settler and found a new capital (abandon the other to barbs) nearer the later action.

Much will depend on exactly what the map and the neighbors look like.

Are we playing Normal or Epic speed? That will affect how long our UU is dominant.

Congrats on getting a "B" team together. At this pace you may have a "C" team if another captain shows up.
Will pillaging income be the biggest source of money?

I am not interested. This one makes my brain hurt...

LKendter Wrote:Congrats on getting a "B" team together. At this pace you may have a "C" team if another captain shows up.
Will pillaging income be the biggest source of money?

I am not interested. This one makes my brain hurt...
Well it's not quite together yet, (both responses to the 4 PMs I sent out have been "no"s) but 3 players is a good start.

And while the variant may be cause for headaches, I suspect our chances will at least be decided early on.