As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[spoilers]Commodore likes it restrictive; Galling DuGaulle of the Gauls

if slowcheetah razes apache, you can put it where you really want it smile. (level 1 barb would be auto-raze, no?)
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

Right, so weekends are busy for updating, and the one time I could update, time-travel freaked me out. Let's return in media res.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0071.JPG]

So yeah, Slowcheetah is surprisingly slippery. Obviously, I couldn't pop the chariot there, and he moved it even more annoyingly the next turn. I just tossed a couple axes down like a boss and dared him to try for the worker in the woods.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0073.JPG]

Never was a city name more accurate. Boldly settles something to play as a swiper...okay, I get it, those are your horses.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0074.JPG]

Apache was nice and opted to grow, so it is now capturable. Slow settled a pesky city near it, so he's contesting for islands. He actually plopped one down to steal my horses, too...five cities on this map is a bit on the economy-crashy side. But meanwhile, still got to fight for my third! cool
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0079.JPG]

And so began the slow and steady thump of 99% axeman hits. Notably, this turn Slow also began to probe around my north with his second chariot here. I need to settle that side before too long...ideally, after Currency though.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0080.JPG]

Not that I'm too worried about the east in general. The next pop ought to see Asterix claim the silver/sheep/ivory/silk spot all by itself. Fine capital, soon even more cultured as the Oracle doubles and I build a monument for happy(!).
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0081.JPG]

Keep plugging away. I could possibly have captured Apache this turn, but why risk a spear, and risk a Slowraze?
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0082.JPG]

Slow got sloppy, moving his chariot into axe range. My C1 axe cleaned that up very nicely, netting me a lovely 4xp axe. Which is a frustrating creature to a lot of people, but to me is also known as "a shock axe". hammer
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0086.JPG]

I brought an extra spear to the party, so I risked the first at 78% odds, and captured Apache. Sure, capture gold, I'd love to be able to shave a turn off my research! After all, I still need...Sailing. smoke
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0087.JPG]

Welcome Getafix, folks. He's not much, but the new Gaul looks 50% less pathetic than the old Gaul. Now I'm only "very" behind on cities.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0088.JPG]

But I reap the benefits of having an actual intact economy: +50% hammers on my chops! Also, maybe, someday, the Hanging Gardens for the GE points. Now it's Sailing->Currency->ISLANDS.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0091.JPG]

With Getafix coming out of revolt, the financial situation is looking worse, except I'm also about to have an awesome +5gpt! Yeah, kill me, it was a Great Prophet. Nothing for it, really, just press onward. I can't afford a diversion to Theo bulbing, nor would a shrine be particularly sane. So...yeah. Settle it, weep a bit, and move along.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0092.JPG]

On the plus side, if you'll look on the upper-right...that's a nice worker swarm. Let's make them and Math help us get out of this self-inflicted hole, eh?
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

You do lovely reports smile
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

Lovely Reports, Ugly Civ: The Commodore Quality* Pledge. Here's the somewhat less than ugly capital, however; at least it's paying for the extra city with that prophet. I'll be hooking the ivory soon, so that's fine, beyond that it's just work, work, work on those all-important cottages.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0095.JPG]

Oh, I haven't introduced everyone to Getafix! The work boat just got chopped, and hooking the seafood means a fast growth which will be followed up by a monument whip. I'm also getting a missionary going this way soon, so I can at least contest the seafood over there. Let's see how Operation: Own My First Ring goes, eh?
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0096.JPG]

*for some definitions of quality.

Okay, so, here's the situation. Slowcheeta has an easily-blocked port, which is great. And I have triremes available, which is great. But we might not have time to deploy them before that darned galley settles the islands, which is not great.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0097.JPG]

On the gripping hand, I'd really not rather tangle with Slow right yet. Give his economy crash, I can field knights before he gears up CKN/longbow production, I think.

What happens if you aren't able to dominate the islands?
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

(November 15th, 2012, 17:43)Merovech Wrote: What happens if you aren't able to dominate the islands?

Then he fails as a head of state, as well as a person. smoke

Yep, Brick has the right of it. So question: Will +9gpt pay for this?
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG]

So as alluded to above, Slowcheetah settled his near island for IC trade routes and continued economic not-striking. An annoying side effect of this? Getafix is in a fix, culture-wise. Hope you guys don't mind eating rocks!
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0101.JPG]

Two part solution to that: First off, I whipping in a monument and along comes a lill' bald guy in orange robe, for make benefit home country!
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0102.JPG]

Being Commodore, the other part ought to be obvious...I make a few more axe and spear guys to put on the newly-created galley...
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG]

And hey, walla walla wish walla walla BOOM. Slow moved an axe to help defend his new island holding, while only having one healthy and one wounded chariot in Cat, his port. I can diggit.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0112.JPG]

Object lesson #1: Don't overexpand so far and so fast that you can be easily forked. Particularly not aggressively against me. shakehead
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0113.JPG]

As an unexpected bonus, my axe was left alive so now I only have two more XP (Chm!) to the heroic epic. Kotchanski might very well provide the opportunity. I'm hoping to get out that trireme before Slow can refound Cats and thus completely shut things down.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0116.JPG]

You'll notice some Ohms happened. I revolted to Buddhism as I was bumping up against happy cap in Asterix. I'm making a settler now for the silver out east, which will get me to the happy cap of 11 needed to work all my nice river tiles. Cottages, cottages, cottages my friends.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0114.JPG]

Boldly has ignored the retarded fraction of his dedlurker pool and rather than focusing on culture or pissing matches, has opted for big, big cities. I suspect good things out of him, particularly given his cheap libraries and Fin. Poor Slow my be in a bit of a bind given his lack (I assume) of IC trade routes. Merely size seven? Pfft.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0115.JPG]

My own other city of note needs to be much better. I'm whipping in a library and then it's time for it to squat and strain out a GE or GS. Obelix needs calendar for those bananas soon, fortunately, that's my next stop*.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0117.JPG]

*After Currency->Masonry->Construction, naturally.

Oooh. Action.
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.