As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Old Harry's Game

Turn 13

Jungly silver!

The farm on the wheat is finished and we're growing on a warrior. And is that copper I see before me?

LegoHydra and Serdoa are both now size two, I think Azza will be next turn, I'll save it for turn 16. Earlier would just be showy.

Demos

Where did the others settle?

This pic shows city locations where the initial borders would give 9 land tiles (which all of us had), the numbers indicate how many land tiles would be in the BFC (ignore the yellow highlighting).

Serdoa settled t0 and his borders popped to 9, 18, 31 (if I've got them assigned correctly) which means he settled 1E of where I did.

LegoHydra settled t0 too and borders popped to 9 then 19, the same as me, so he could have gone 1NE or settled in place. My borders will pop to 33 next, so if he pops to 28 instead we know he went NE.

Azza, just to be difficult, moved and settled t1 and his borders popped to 9, 20 then 32. Annoyingly there were five places where his BFC could have 20 tiles. This image shows how many land tiles his next border pop will give at those five sites:

So Azza went 1N.

What does all this tell me? Well, nothing really. It was an interesting exercise in trawling the demo's though. And might give a clue later as to where second cities might be found.

I do wonder why Azza went there though. What's so good about that hill? Presumably Serdoa found the pig, while LegoHydra just made an excellent decision. thumbsup

Turn 14

Boring turn. Demos:

Turn 15

So the scout uncovers the final bit of the neighbourhood,

Allowing us to break out the coloured crayons:

I think I like Red, then Orange, then Blue,then Light Green and Yellow.

Red is the best start, but it could be placed 1W of where it is to get extra forests...

Orange can share a lot of cottages with Altrincham, while setting up the fish for Blue to claim copper and be a great commerce city.

Light Green allows naval access to that lake and has good food while Pale Blue should probably be one tile west, to complete the canal...

Yellow is a bit of a filler city so maybe could even wait until after Dark Green, by which time the silver city could be viable. It's tempting to stretch for the silver early, but it needs Calendar and Iron Working. Speaking of Iron working I'm guessing the jungle in my BFC is concealing Iron (it could be horses, but that seems cruel).

Demos:

why would the silver city need calender?
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

Good spot! smoke

I'm too accustomed to calendar resources being jungled!

Turn 16

I ran a few sims out past the founding of city two and getting pottery. It looks like the second settler is ready t34 and Orange city settled t35. That includes another fast worker to get new cities set up. I think I want to make that a bit quicker. I also tried settling silver city as city four (just as a test) and it pretty much crashed the economy just by itself!

I can't decide on where to place city two, should it be 1s of the pig or 1se? se gets a couple more forests but maintenance is a bit higher... If anyone wants to try out the sandbox this is the current turn, and this is just before settling city two.

The sandbox seems to give the wrong number of points for techs, etc, which I presume is to do with the number of land tiles available. Tech costs are right now, but once I expand I presume maintenance will be off. Mucking about in worldbuilder didn't seem to fix it, any ideas?

More exploring.

Working the Fur rather than the sheep to get AH a turn earlier:

Demos:

Turn 17

Gold and silver in one city? I wonder how close this is to my neighbour?

Chop comes in and a worker should be ready eot 18

Demos:

Turn 18

So I whipped the worker here, which means the settler is ready eot21 instead of eot22 (with a whip on t22). I lose out on four turns of working unimproved fur or sheep, whick isn't great, but I decided I wanted the second city earlier... I'm falling behind the other guys on score a bit. Lets say that's all part of the plan!

Demos:

Turn 19

Worker complete and goes to chop, the settler will complete when the two chops come in t21, at which point I need to decide between city 2a and 2b.

2a gets the Oasis straight away, is slightly cheaper for distance maintenance and has the possibility of 3/0/3 lighthouse lake tiles later.

2b gets more forests, easier for fast workers to chop and corn eventually.

Lurkers, what do you think?

Demos