As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] PB1- Mardoc buys a can of paint for Thoth and Ellimist

It's been a while since I've regretted dropbox being banned at work quite so much! I assume that picture shows that your fogreading skillz were 1337? wink. And that we're a turn or two away from having an extra 60 gpt in trade, just as soon as the settlers get onto appropriate tiles?

Tonight's another sorta iffy night for me, I'm likely to be around by about 9 EST, but I might be delayed. Certainly start without me if you can, especially on macro planning and already planned worker micro.

Given Thoth's valid point about our efficiency while playing, maybe an agenda would help us stay focused? We've already talked out the tech path in detail, but there's some other macro things it would be good to plan out. Obviously we don't need them all at once next turn.

Dotmap! We currently have a sorta vague plan to throw settlers at the borders and find spots when they're close. Can we firm that up into a 'city 1, city 2, city 3' plan, with all cities marked and a preferred order to settle them in? If we've the time in addition, label the settlers with the name of their city to be, and the same for Thanes. Workers are probably not tied to a city, so we'll need to try something different there. I think probably the best way is for one of us to throw down a bunch of c's in signs, and then to discuss and refine; when we're done, put a name on the sign instead of simply 'c'. Then make a list somewhere else of cities in order to found.

Workers. We need a better way to communicate with/about them. I think, on balance, that Ellimist's scheme of signs will work better than what we're doing. That is, label each tile that you want improved soon, with # of turns to completion (if not started, 4T farm, etc). I didn't like it at first, but the main advantage of a countdown is that you can label all the tiles that aren't yet started and should be soon. Maybe also label workers, something simple like directions to the tile they should work on. But the main confusion last turn came when workers were labeled with tasks, rather than the tiles being labelled. If I'd realized the chop was already done, I wouldn't have tried to start a new chop unnecessarily.

Also, if you must put a turn #, let's take 100 for granted and just call them T2, T3, etc. For workers anyway. There's currently a bunch of signs that say things like 'mine copper T10' and then we hit the character limit. But I think if we have tasks labeled, and a general policy of resources first, then tiles to be worked, and only last chops, that'll eliminate most of the confusion.

I think I will do some of this myself next time I'm in; of course feel free to revise.

Thane plans: I like the idea of bringing along Thanes to pop borders early in a city's life, where we can. And it's probably worth spreading the religion, too, eventually. Can we make a count of # of Thanes needed where and when? And when they're born, give them names like 'Border Eiswein'.

Military plans: Thoth, I'm sorry, but 'we needed those WR's' is way too vague to be useful. And our current approach to building military is quite vague, and a lot of the purpose is confusing. Why don't we work backward instead of forward? Right now, we're building military and then finding a use for it, or building to match Thoth's idea, in his head. Instead, I'd like to plan out task forces, and build to match them.

As a first gasp here: I really think we're going too heavy on wolf riders. I've heard you say things like 'zone defense', but that's a role they really can't do against anything but barbs. What they're good for is worker sniping, pickets, and...um...? Instead, let's go for axes and Moroi and chariots (and cats). Things we can expect to actually win fights if they get into them. WR's have their place, yes - but that place, in my opinion, is being covered by an axe while they do something tricky with their high mobility. And even there, chariots will be able to do many of the same things, and more.

Combat: I can't think of anything better than to take each turn as it comes, sadly. Too dependent on what the enemy does. At the moment - I would like to rotate some fast movers toward Loki. I'd rather not let them scout our core, or interfere with worker micro. Don't think we can kill him this turn with a reasonable level of risk, but if we get more units into the theater, it'll be easier.

I realize that this list is a lot of work, up front. But honestly I think it'll make the actual micro go a lot faster and more smoothly, and even mostly on autopilot. A lot faster to look at a city, see that it's got a bunch of farms desired, and go build them than to say 'Thoth, what were these workers doing' 'Sorry, missed the ping, repeat' 'here, the ones by Eiswein', 'oh, those were farming, go 2W and start that farm'.

I think most of our current frustrations are the result of something simple: we all have a slightly different macro plan in mind. Which means we're optimizing for different things. On those places where we're in agreement, like techs and the urgency of getting island cities, we're not finding anything to complain about, because we're all working toward the same goal. Even when we do change things, it's usually obvious if the change is an improvement or not.

Tonight's pretty busy for me, but I expect to have plenty of time this weekend to contribute to a macro plan.
EitB 25 - Perpentach
Occasional mapmaker

(December 6th, 2012, 14:06)Mardoc Wrote: It's been a while since I've regretted dropbox being banned at work quite so much! I assume that picture shows that your fogreading skillz were 1337? wink. And that we're a turn or two away from having an extra 60 gpt in trade, just as soon as the settlers get onto appropriate tiles?

It looks like I was off by one tile on the far corner.

Here's the shape:
_______
_____a_
__xha__
_xhxf__
__x____
_______

The entire island is grassland.
h = forested grass hill
f = forest
a = ancient forest
x = flat

Also, the seven "center" tiles of the island are riverside.
Active in:
FFH-20: Jonas Endain of the Clan of Embers
EITB Pitboss 1: Clan/Elohim/Calabim with Mardoc and Thoth

(December 6th, 2012, 15:18)Ellimist Wrote: It looks like I was off by one tile on the far corner.

Here's the shape:
_______
_____a_
__xha__
_xhxf__
__x____
_______

The entire island is grassland.
h = forested grass hill
f = forest
a = ancient forest
x = flat

Also, the seven "center" tiles of the island are riverside.

First...jive dancing
Thanks smile. And well done on the fog reading. 1-tile...hah! thumbsup

We have overseas settlers, without barbs eating them up! Not in between turns, not landed and spotted a barb, just a peaceful sail to a new home. This is going to pay for Sailing in something like 10 turns, even ignoring the prereq bonus, the Pearls and Whales, any tactical benefits from boats...Currency...Sailing has turned out to be an excellent choice of tech! And one the other teams are ignoring, I do believe mischief

So our options are
_______
_____C_
__xha__
_xhxf__
__C____
_______
or
_______
_____a_
__xha__
_ChxC__
__x____
_______
or

_______
_____a_
__xhC__
_Chxf__
__x____
_______
C = city
, right?

I think, much as ancient forests are nice, especially in a hammer-starved spot like overseas, that it depends on the location of seafood/pearls. If we can get decent seafood for all, then your suggestion of #2 there and keeping the Ancient Forests is probably right.
EitB 25 - Perpentach
Occasional mapmaker

Here's the island again:

4______x_
3___xxx__
2__xxxx__
1___x____
___12345_

There are a total of six possible ways to settle it. The only absolute requirement is that we must place at least one city in column 1 or 5. Latitude won't matter, so we can do 1 and 4(2 sites), 2 and 5(3 sites), or 1 and 5(1 site)

There's a crab at (1,3) and a fish we already knew about at (5,1). There's also a whale and pearls we already knew about.

Of your three scenarios, #1 would give the western city the fish and crab, plus more possible resources in the fog. That's probably the strongest we can make a single city. The eastern city would be gimped, but maybe we're okay with that. #2 is more balanced, but may favor the east city unless there's seafood in the fog. Either way, it allows the two cities to share 3 grass farms and 2 hills. #3 is similar to #2 except that it trades an ancient forest for a standard one.
Active in:

On turn 102, the circus came to town.

People (and animals) came from distant lands to see the show:

One of the clowns couldn't take the pressure, and had to leave early:

Active in:

Well done!
Are you sure they didn't want it, though? (for SotC...)

Disclaimer: I have not read the clown thread recently, and therefore have no knowledge of the truth of this assertion.
Nor is this intended to in any way infringe on the excellent achievement of the group, or to imply in any way shape or form that the aforementioned achievement was in fact in any way undermined by the potentiality of that group commonly know (at least within the context of that singular thread titled " [SPOILERS] PB1- Mardoc buys a can of paint for Thoth and Ellimist " - I do not mean to imply one way or another as to the name said group is given within the context of this thread has been adopted by other threads within the sub-forum named " Erebus in the Balance Pitboss 1 ") as "clowns" to have possibly intended for the previously mentioned circumstances to occur.
I also consider any information not covered within this disclaimer that has been revealed in any way shape or form by myself to also be entirely unintentional "slip" and also am completely willing to take the sole responsibility of any alteration this has had on the authors of this excellant thread.
DISCLAIMER: Any opinions shown within the previous disclaimer - with paticular reference to the referral of certain items as "excellent" is in no way meant to disparage the frequency of and/or quality thereof of any other threads contained within that sub-forum " Erebus in the Balance Pitboss 1 " to which we all refer. Nor does this disclaimer represent a nervousness towards revealing any information that might contain the previously mentioned "spoiler" which might have resulted from prvious notes on the subject, in paticular not those authored by the poster "Thoth" - also known as "Sillygoat" on certain fora.
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

(December 7th, 2012, 00:04)Qgqqqqq Wrote: Well done!
Are you sure they didn't want it, though? (for SotC...)

Ha.

Keep in mind, Loki is a nearly invincible scout that can snipe workers at a distance with puppets. He could also have inspired/entertained up to three cities if they'd kept him at home.

Yeah, it does unlock shrine for them, and they may not be very sad to see him go, but I doubt they actually wanted him to die. If they had, they could have easily disbanded Loki a long time ago (and avoided paying unit upkeep/supply on him.)

----------------------------

Questions like that should be fine. In this case, it's after the fact anyway so it won't affect a gameplay decision. The other question that Thoth was referring to was sketchy because it implied information about the balseraph/illian defenses, which could have come straight from their spoiler thread. The point is, we have no way of knowing what's in their thread and it's best to be careful.

We try to take precautions to insure the integrity of the game, because it's something that we (literally) waste hundreds of hours playing and it's more enjoyable when we get to share it with an audience. If players have to worry about lurkers "leaking" information, then the spoiler threads won't be as enjoyable to lurk because players will be more paranoid.

When it comes down to it, the public nature of these games is the entire reason I started lurking/playing here at Realms Beyond. I used to play Civ IV single player(badly), and also played FFH for a time. I found it to be enjoyable but the FFH AI is pretty abuseable and single player gets old eventually. I hadn't played Civ IV at all for at least a year or two when I found RB, and thought it was ridiculous/awesome that people had somehow managed to turn Civilization into a spectator sport. "Play by email" sounded silly to me, but I knew I had to try it once I saw people enjoying the games and playing them on a level CRAZY-FAR beyond my own.
Active in:

Yeah sorry, that was only intended as a joke - i had intended to just mention that I didn't know, and then started rambling lol
I do fully understand why you worried - I hope it doesn't come across as taking the issue to trivial, I have also been actively avoiding the other threads to prevent anything occuring.
(Just to be clear - nothing has slipped through, I dropped that thread ages ago, and only started reading this when I was blanketly reading other threads by you guys.)

What is the Elohim hero? (is it sad that I have no idea lol )
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

Oh cool. So you're almost ded-lurkering us, then.

The Elohim hero is Corlindale, who is pretty awesome but requires Fanaticism tech. Fanaticism also unlocks the Calabim hero and some other cool units, so we plan to get it but it's not on the short list.

Corlindale is an archmage that automatically gains 1 exp per turn thanks to the hero promotion. He also starts with three free level 1 spells, but can potentially get additional ones if we build him with extra mana on hand.

Losha is the Calabim hero, and she starts with all of the special vampire promotions as well as the hero promotion. She gains the immortal promotion whenever she wins a battle, so she should be even harder to kill than Loki was.

Think I found something else, btw. I'm going to spoiler the images because I have several and they're relatively similar in many ways.

Here was my first clue:

That's a single tile island off the eastern coast past the Elohim. Now, most of this map has a lot of rotational symmetry. Compare the following set of images showing the land around balseraph and calabim capitals:

(I rotated second image 90 degrees.)

The river is PRECISELY the same shape. Several of the resources are in exactly the same place, even if a few have been swapped for different resources. The lake to the south is in the same place. The peaks are in the same place. It's slightly different, but otherwise very similar. (I may have mentioned this before, I noticed it a long time ago.)

Now take that into consideration when looking at the first image I spoilered. That one tile island, if the map were rotated 90 degrees, would be roughly southwest of the island our settlers just landed on. And of course there could be additional islands in that region as well. So maybe we should go looking through the fog again...

An anomaly! There is a landmass of some sort in this area. Let's see if I can refine it a bit:

Straight as an arrow, this goto order doesn't pass over any hidden landmasses.

Bingo! There it is!

The pathfinding algorithm can be very informative sometimes...

And moving further over shows only flatness (water). Keep in mind that the "16" hasn't moved since the last image, and it's on the same elevation as 17 here.

Are unique features on? (And more importantly Brigit...)