As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

"You have been struck down." - Dwarf Fortress Adventure stories

I set up a little live-training area for our dabbling axedwarves.
Linked a cage to a lever (outside Uberfish's old office). Put the four elephants and the two goblins in it and told the squad to defend the burrow! (Burrow Kill Room assigned to the training area).

Now lets remote-open the cage and have the dwarves fight!
Antisocialmunky, Brackard, Lewwyn, Merovech, Molach, Thoth and Zakalwe have followed the orders (7 out of the 10 dwarves in the squad.) They are equipped with bronze helmet, breastplate, shield and battle axes!
Lets hope I won't ruin the fort by a elephant child stampede.

I disarmed the two goblins beforehand, btw.

mh
"You have been struck down!" - Tales of Dwarf Fortress
---
"moby_harmless seeks thee not. It is thou, thou, that madly seekest him!"

That went very well.
With the exception of Antisocialmunky, everybody in the room got at least one swing in on the two goblins.
Both goblins held out long enough to get some experience to our dwarves. The elephants just fled to the corners and got ignored so far.

Specifically setting the squad to kill the elephants they begin to hack away at them. Unfortunately the elephants pass out quite quickly, reducing the experience gained by the dwarves.

mh
---

Meanwhile, the dwarves have decided to elect a proper mayor. Gustaran was chosen, but I overruled that and installed Uberfish as out mayor for now, since he has been expedition leader and manager.
With the new position, Uberfish now demands better quarters, a separate dining room a proper office and additional furniture.

Luckily uberfish has already created a new office which is more than sufficient, due to the legendary crossbow in the weapon trap there. Since it also holds a table, I assign it to be his dining room as well. His quarters get improved by additional furniture, but that does not add much value.
So I have Helium engrave some art onto the walls:
[Image: heliumengraving1.png]

Yes, Brian got sacked by me. The reason is, that she is a legendary bone carver and likely to bring her babies to the fight.

mh
---

Bigger was incinerated in a magma accident. For some reason, neither the dwarves nor lurkers seemed to care. tongue

(December 27th, 2012, 19:06)mostly_harmless Wrote: Yes, Brian got sacked by me. The reason is, that she is a legendary bone carver and likely to bring her babies to the fight.

mh

What was I sacked from, the image is not appearing for me.

Also, my mother'd be pleased that I have children, not so pleased that it's only in a game.
Travelling on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

You were fired from being head of the militia.

(December 27th, 2012, 17:28)mostly_harmless Wrote: Meanwhile a thief has gotten away with Mini-Mardoc! Oh, no! I hope the parents don't get all too unhappy!

mh

All the true heroes have an unhappy childhood among thieves. 20 years from now, I'm coming back to save y'all from a Balrog shades
EitB 25 - Perpentach
Occasional mapmaker

Bigger's ghost started to haunt the fortress, so I ordered a slab to be engraved in his memory. Also JKaen's coffin came without a headstone.

Lots of animals were bought from the human caravan for useless stone craft junk and slaughtered straight away. I need the leather for military equipment (quivers, waterskins, backpacks)

New individual rooms are constructed to fill the wide hall way.

And mining gold as been restarted.

A new well is up and the hospital is ready and very well equipped. Which is quite good, as the second round of elephant training for the squad resulted in a broken toe for Thoth!

Enoch does the diagnosing:
Compound fracture and broken tissue.
Cleaning, surgery, suture and dressing requests are noted down.

Here is what the Health screen looks like ('z') after the diagnosis (Once you have appointed a chief medical dwarf [minimum diagnosis skill required] the Helath screen becomes available).
[Image: thoth1.png]

Sian is doing the surgery and stitching (by putting Thoth on the table). Thoth is still sleeping but is also quite thirsty. Wounded dwarves need water to drink (no alcohol! a sure sign there is something wrong with them). Unfortunately no empty bucket can be found in the fortress!
Overseer: "CYNEHARD!!!! Make some damn buckets quickly!"
Cyneheard: "I would, but there is no wood available!"
Overseer: "PLING!!! Wake up! Cut some trees!"

And then Cyneheard makes a masterful acacia bucket, which Helium rushes to the well with and finally gives water to Thoth, still lying snoring on the surgery table.

mh
---

(December 28th, 2012, 10:19)Brian Shanahan Wrote:
(December 27th, 2012, 19:06)mostly_harmless Wrote: Yes, Brian got sacked by me. The reason is, that she is a legendary bone carver and likely to bring her babies to the fight.

mh

What was I sacked from, the image is not appearing for me.

Also, my mother'd be pleased that I have children, not so pleased that it's only in a game.
Brian, was militia commander at some point, was sacked since she is a legendary bone carver and therefore very valuable for the community due to her ability to create high quality trade goods and being very fast in creating bone bolts used for archery training.
Bringing her kids to any fights is not really an issue it seems, Brian is quite old and her husband is not with the fortress at the moment. She is quite good with the crossbow.

(December 28th, 2012, 11:19)Mardoc Wrote:
(December 27th, 2012, 17:28)mostly_harmless Wrote: Meanwhile a thief has gotten away with Mini-Mardoc! Oh, no! I hope the parents don't get all too unhappy!

mh

All the true heroes have an unhappy childhood among thieves. 20 years from now, I'm coming back to save y'all from a Balrog shades

Mini-Mardoc was "just" a rather uninspired name for the "real" Mardoc's only son. Mardoc is our legendary cook and has a far reaching family tree.

If lurkers are interested, I can give a little portrait and overview of their dwarves here. Just post the request.

mh
---

The dwarven caravan arrives and brings some alpacas. I suspect uberfish has requested them. I trade for all their animals and a couple of iron and steel bars.

I think it quite safe to say that out fortress cannot create steel by itself, lacking a source of iron ore.
So trading for iron is ok, I think.

An easy work around would be to just buy any steel item the caravan offers (i.e. toys and cages and stuff) and melt it into bars and make weapons from that.
Rather cheesy, especially since with a skilled stone crafter you can create valuable trade goods out of stone.

So I rather like the idea of being self sufficient. We can do bronze by ourselves, which is good enough. So I will restrict my iron and steel trading to the minimum, by only trading for bars and not specifically requesting them.

Also, we have now 7 alpacas, which is plenty to get the wool industry going. I want to move their pasture inside the walls, though.
For sustainable meat industry, I like to rely on pigs, which do not need any grazing grounds, and can be held underground. We only have to sows so far, though.
I am not a big fan of all the poultry running around, but will leave them alone, since uberfish set that branch up.
Every other animal (besides the dogs) gets butchered for their hides though.

mh
---