As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

New FFH/EITB PBEM?

(January 30th, 2013, 13:28)Mardoc Wrote: gtAngel picked them before you released screenies, so it's clear he didn't base his decision on that unit.

Though Merovech did mention the possibility of starting us with a free adventurer, which might have factored into the civ choice.

The Heroic scout is not necessary; however, I am unsure if replacing them (and I have thought about ways to do this) would be fair to gtAngel at this point, if the possibilt influenced his decision. If he says that it did not; however, it is a large advantage to the Sidar...
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

I didn't expect a hero unit when I picked Sidar. I still want to keep it though frown

Edit: Of course I will respect Merovech's decision. If you feel it's too unbalancing a factor then you can take it away. Do keep in mind though that if I settle my hero I'm going to be down a potentially 100 experience unit all game long. While settling has benefits, being able to use the scout to clear out enemies from the get go is very strong as well. (And of course the easily acquired Aeron's chosen.)

(January 30th, 2013, 21:13)gtAngel Wrote: I didn't expect a hero unit when I picked Sidar. I still want to keep it though frown

Edit: Of course I will respect Merovech's decision. If you feel it's too unbalancing a factor then you can take it away. Do keep in mind though that if I settle my hero I'm going to be down a potentially 100 experience unit all game long. While settling has benefits, being able to use the scout to clear out enemies from the get go is very strong as well. (And of course the easily acquired Aeron's chosen.)

Yes, it is not a straightforward decision... I will have to think.
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

I have made a decision: The heroic scout will be replaced by a level 3 scout with 7 exp. Both promotions will be spent; specifically, on Combat 1 and Drill 1. The scout will also get free Mobility 1, Sentry 1, and Valor promotions.

I think it's likely you guys will get a finished map tomorrow evening. Sorry I couldn't get it to you guys so that you could blitz this weekend, but there were some unintended things that needed to be fixed.

(January 31st, 2013, 22:26)Merovech Wrote: I think it's likely you guys will get a finished map tomorrow evening. Sorry I couldn't get it to you guys so that you could blitz this weekend, but there were some unintended things that needed to be fixed.

Realistically, the blitz wasn't going to happen anyway. I'm working tomorrow, Elli on Saturday, Selrahc's busy Sunday, and that's before trying to get HK and gtAngel into the mix. Besides, I think we've mentioned a time or two that right is better than fast wink.
EitB 25 - Perpentach
Occasional mapmaker

(January 31st, 2013, 22:26)Merovech Wrote: I think it's likely you guys will get a finished map tomorrow evening. Sorry I couldn't get it to you guys so that you could blitz this weekend, but there were some unintended things that needed to be fixed.

Turns out that there is a huge party I'm going to tonight. I thought it was next Friday, sorry. Saturday afternoon at the latest.

That's fine. It gives me more time to write about how to play different civs smile

Four years ago, a battered, weathered ship landed in Innsmouth-a Lanun galley that was thought lost after it drastically sailed off course during a series of powerful storms. The survivors' tales of a new, uncolonized continent full of rich land, surrounded by dangerous and magical islands, raced across Erebus, and its five greatest civilizations each immediately commissioned a group of explorers and scouts to conquer this new world and elevate themselves to the greatest civilization in all of Erebus!

You, as the finest example of your nation, were chosen to lead your civilizations' expedition and entrusted with a small map of the new land, supposedly leading to a sunken treasure, and, finally, after four long years, land is in sight, and you can step onto this virgin soil, make camp, and unload your remaining supplies! Of course, few journeys are flawless, and another tempest begins to rage just as you and your crew bed for the night. Stuck on land, you are helpless to watch as first one, than the second of the mighty warships that brought you here crash onto the rocky shore, beaching themselves and half sinking. At least the storm vanishes with daybreak, certainly a good sign for the new era that begins today.

[Image: 55278_new_world_lg.gif]

The save has been sent to Ellimist.