As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

PBEM 2 Organizing/Tech Thread

Are we using the Civ starting terrain bias?

(April 2nd, 2013, 16:04)Ichabod Wrote: Are we using the Civ starting terrain bias?

Was planning to leave it on. If someone picks Carthage, Iroquois, or the Celts for example, I'd rather not have them screwed over. I think we wait to decide that until we see what civs are in the game though.

If none have an essential start bias, then we can turn it off (buff Russia). I doubt anyone will pick Russia though so there's no real disadvantage to having it on.

I have all DLC.

I don't see any need to ban Notre Dame.

Also, I'd rather have 2 CS per person. 1 per person makes it more likely that someone won't have access to a CS, or that someone gets unlucky and has a CS that is of no use to them.

There are also map scripts that claim to be better at positioning CS, but i don't know if better still means "fair"
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

(April 2nd, 2013, 22:18)pindicator Wrote: There are also map scripts that claim to be better at positioning CS, but i don't know if better still means "fair"

I'm open to other map scripts (as long as they're one land-mass). Have a map script in mind?

Seems we still need to hash out exactly how many city-states we want in this game and whether to ban Notre Dame or not before the game can begin. However, in the meantime, we can all begin civ picking. I don't think the number of city-states will dramatically change people's civ choices. The only civ ban is The Huns, and since everybody has all the DLC, all civs are open including Babylon, Korea, Denmark, The Inca, and.... Polynesia smoke smoke smoke. As I posted above, I'll be last in the pick order and first in the turn order so I can setup the game (unless anyone has any strong objections to this, I'm not particularly set on going first).

MASSIVE EDIT:

Seven has brought to my attention that we should plan the turn order based on time zones, something that I was an idiot and completely forgot to factor in smoke

So, before picking, everybody, please post when is best for you to play. Apologies for the confusion.

Post your thoughts on City-States/Notre Dame and anything else that needs to be addressed before we get rolling.

I have all DLC too, including Korea and wonders of the ancient world.

Two comments.

1) You really think number of city states doesn't affect picks? When you said in the last game that Greece and Siam should always be picked?

2) You chose turn order at random???!?

Discussion with Seven on whether or not ND should be in the game:

me: My concern around ND is basically that we end up with a lot of people blowing their liberty GP on a GE and then getting a sub-par wonder for it bc someone got to Physics a turn or two before them
not the same level as Pyramids, but enough that I thought it merited discussion
scmccarthy: ah
yeah I wouldn't worry about it. I mean getting stuck with an unused great engineer is less bad than e.g. losing liberalism race, or taj race
or oracle
(in civ iv)

After talking it over, I'm convinced to leave it unbanned, so the only wonder ban will be the Pyramids. Any objections?

(April 2nd, 2013, 22:33)oledavy Wrote: Seven has brought to my attention that we should plan the turn order based on time zones, something that I was an idiot and completely forgot to factor in smoke

So, before picking, everybody, please post when is best for you to play. Apologies for the confusion.

Post your thoughts on City-States/Notre Dame and anything else that needs to be addressed before we get rolling.

Wow, that went over my head too. Guess I'm not paying too much attention yet smile

I'm at Pacific Daylight Time (GMT -8)
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

GMT +3