As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Serdoa and Civ 5 - a love/hate story in 0 acts

Thanks again guys smile I have to say I get more interested the deeper I dive into the game. And even though I do feel that some things are not good described ingame or are unnecessary obfuscated, I have to admit that I start to see the possibilities, the options, the choices. Something I before thought Civ5 didn't have.

Ok, enough of that, on to the turn report. I explored the ruins and:

[Image: T2Ruins.JPG]

First I was like: eek
Then I was like: dancing
And then I looked at my city-screen and was like: banghead

Because of course the only tiles to work are either 2/0/0, 0/2/0 or 1/1/0. Yeah, that start sucks lol The start I got in another testgame was much better, with Salts and riverside-wheat. Especially the Salts are crazy good. Oh well, anyhow, I did put the new pop onto the 0/2/0 tile. Reason is that I need it there anyway to finish the monument on EOT5. I think I will put the new pop onto the 2/0/0 tile though starting next turn. Reason is that I will get the Silver-tile into my borders by T7. I'll work that and the Stone and should grow by EOT9 to 3. Don't think that will speed up my worker at all, maybe even delay it a turn, but I could at best speed it up by a turn and that is only without any growth till T11. Not sure that is worth it tbh.

Demos:

[Image: T2Demos.JPG]

Someone has 2 pop as well. That has to be a popped pop like mine. Soldiers indicate that someone got a unit upgraded I guess. ~3000 soldiers seem not enough for a new unit (10392 just for the warrior).

Quick question:

Granary states +10% Growth. Is that +10% Food or actually only +10% on excess food?

Where does the granary state that? An old patch? Granary is +2 flat food.

Anyway, food multipliers are always only on excess. Landed Elite, Tradition finisher, Fertility Rites, WLTKD all work that way.

(April 7th, 2013, 18:49)T-hawk Wrote: This is always slower to Collective Rule than skipping the Tradition opener and going there directly. Like every other policy that produces culture, the Tradition opener looks good but in fact never catches up to its own exponential cost addition. Take the Tradition opener only if the expansion discount is what you want from it.

Well, I think I need it to aquire my tiles. Though - question: With the GG appearantly one can "culture-bomb" now via his unique tile-improvement. I guess that can be used - like every other tile improvement - only on tiles you own already? Also, does anyone know how much culture is needed for each subsequent tile, discounting theoretical bonuses?

Quote:It's actually two turns ahead - you need to finish Theology end of T65, so that the "Maya Long Count Bonus" triggers on T66.

Funny thing, I thought about how to get to Theology as fast as possible and I think I might be able to do T45. Not sure I WANT to do that, because it would leave me vulnerable, but I could.

Quote:It's definitely food - production - everything else. The Pyramid will produce both faith and science on the turn it's completed.

That means also a new citizen will produce science the turn it is born?

(April 8th, 2013, 12:42)T-hawk Wrote: Where does the granary state that? An old patch? Granary is +2 flat food.

Anyway, food multipliers are always only on excess. Landed Elite, Tradition finisher, Fertility Rites, WLTKD all work that way.

My bad, I am sorry. I probably misremembered, it is quite some information to digest right now, having not played Civ5 for real ever. But you did answer the question I actually had smile That will get... interesting to implement in my spreadsheet. Especially with Civ now keeping digits.

New citizens produce everything but food. So you want to tell the governor to emphasize production or gold or whatever so the new citizens are most useful.

Thanks Seven smile

Mechanics question regarding tile improvements: Can I put a farm on the grassland cattle? Farms seem not to need fresh water anymore and the cattle-tile should produce 4 food with either farm or pasture. I'll not have the resource connected of course, but assuming I don't care about that at this point, would it work to put a farm there?

edit: And actually the pasture would add +1 hammer not +1 food it seems. Anyhow, can I put a farm instead?

The Great General can build a citadel (culture bomb) on any tile in or adjacent to a tile you own.

Culture expansion costs, search on Civfanatics. Roughly, it ramps to 100 culture by around the 5th or 6th tile. The Tradition opener cuts this to around 40. (Normal speed.)

Yes, a new citizen produces science the turn he is born. He also works his new tile, and I think yields trade route income too.

You cannot build a "wrong" improvement on a resource in Civ 5. Cattle can only be pastured for a hammer, even if you'd prefer a farm for food. Farms do not require fresh water, but do get better with it at Civil Service.

Thanks again. Guess I need Hanging Gardens for the +6 food, otherwise I'll never grow this city to any worthwhile size.

Update?
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.