As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Churchill of Portugal: Gallipoli Part II

Complete T192 graphs, will post more thoughts later if I have time.

Score - This looks bad, but I'm actually in 7th place out of 11, not 7th out of 8! lol
[Image: T192-Score.JPG]

GNP - Keeping company with Azza -- not good!!!
[Image: T192-GNP.JPG]

MFG - No tiles, no hammers. But I get hammers from the whip, damn the mod.
[Image: T192-MFG.JPG]

Food - Mmmm...can you taste the whip?
[Image: T192-Food.JPG]

Culture - What is it good for, absolutely nothing!
[Image: T192-Culture.JPG]

Espionage - If nothing else my game has been a guide on how to check your EP panel every turn and spend your 4 points wisely. And also to be irrelevant enough that no one cares to spend crazy points against you.

[Image: T192-Espionage.JPG]

A-bee-a-bee-a-bee that's all folks!

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

I'll post a report later but a quick question. I'm finishing Optics next turn (if I can scrape up the cash), will a trireme upgrade in the build queue to a carrack?

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

No (IIRC)
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

(May 7th, 2013, 07:42)spacetyrantxenu Wrote: I'll post a report later but a quick question. I'm finishing Optics next turn (if I can scrape up the cash), will a trireme upgrade in the build queue to a carrack?

It won't, since triremes also upgrade to frigates, which you haven't unlocked. What a trireme build would upgrade to once you unlock frigates I don't know, but my guess is it would then upgrade to a frigate and not a caravel.
I have to run.

Confirmed. A trireme will not upgrade to a Carrack when completing Optics.

Edit: novice beat me. A trireme in the build queue does not upgrade at Astronomy, as a Galleon would be an upgrade for a Galley. The trireme looks to upgrade at Chemistry into a Frigate. As of Astronomy, the trireme build persists.

[Image: trireme%20upgrade%20at%20astro.JPG]

Now I'm wondering what the upgrade option would be if you didn't have iron available..

If would stay a tireme.
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

Thanks for the input. That means I won't bother to start a trireme in One Fish this turn. I'll probably build another crossbow or catapult or whatever. The Zulu are invading at Glad Fish with a stack of 5 maces and 3 cats, but I've been watching Civstats and they haven't taken the city this turn. If they don't sacrifice the cats I'll just scratch whip another unit this turn, I have 3 pop in the city so that should get me something. Probably just a chariot, but oh well. I won't leave them much of a city and it will cost them to take it. Oh, one of the maces is a GG, I think a CR3 mace, maybe it has C1 also.

But yeah. That's going to be the extent of their invasion. And if they don't take peace soon I'm going to whip a ton of carracks and start fucking up their weak coastal cities as soon as Optics is in. Maybe. We'll see after T198 when my enforced peace with Serdoa ends. Depending on how things look at the time I may declare war on Serdoa again and immediately offer peace to start another 10 turn period of peace. He probably won't take offense at it, it isn't like we're missing trading because of the war declarations as he is in mercantilism. And honestly I didn't really want OBs with him anyway, I just wanted to get my chariots home from his territory. But in the meantime I have chariots wandering around his land and he has a sentry knight wandering around mine. I'm sure that he has traded for my maps by now anyway so no big loss. And if not...well, still no big loss. He already knew where my front city was and what was in it. The only surprise he may find is the 28 units sitting in my capital. Surely that will give him pause if he is thinking about picking another fight. Really, guys, I'm not worth killing.

Speaking of...I think Slow is going to attack me soon. He spiked up his power a bit and I'm underdefended at Old Fish. My power is understandably concentrated at One Fish and Blue Fish. And then there's Plako, he hasn't shown up yet but I expect he'll come after New New Fish soon. It is also underdefended. I'm hoping I can grow it onto all its grass farms and a few high hammer tiles before I start its constant whip cycle. May be too late to save it, though, once Plako lands his troops. (Surely he will -- what else is his veteran army going to do?).

In the fairly near term I'm likely to be reduced to One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, and Blue Fish. I can probably garrison those four well enough to hold out until cannons show up (unless someone really wants to spend a lot of catapults on me). But that worst case scenario only will unfold (I assume) if all of Plako, Slowcheetah, Serdoa, and the Zulu harass and attack me. I'm obviously best equipped right now to hold off Serdoa and the Zulu, as they can't really do much to me by land. But if boats show up from the east I'm screwed, as those cities have spent their production reinforcing the active military fronts and are exposed by sea.

If you guys aren't taking bets yet as to when I'll be eliminated, maybe you should start that in the lurker thread. Or post here, I don't mind. I've been eliminated in the post count victory race but I can still finish in a respectable enough position in that race, too.

You can't dry whip at 3 pop.
Minimum is a 2 pop whip for dry.

Do you plan to look for some post-astro land to colonize with carracks? Seems that you have run out of peaceful expansion room in your heart land.

(May 7th, 2013, 20:15)Oxyphenbutazone Wrote: Do you plan to look for some post-astro land to colonize with carracks? Seems that you have run out of peaceful expansion room in your heart land.

The nice thing about carracks is that you can go colonize at Optics. The bad thing is that there's no decent land available to me. I can try to settle one city on my awful west coast, which I would do now if I wasn't at war. Or I can try to send a boat off into some distant islands with a settler and hope for the best. But that won't work well, someone will snipe an isolated, distant city as soon as they find it. My expansion is pretty much done, unless I can take land by the sword. And that isn't very likely at this point.