As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Old Harry's Game

Turn 154

There are a lot of great things about this game, but one of my favourites is that I've got novice on my team. Hydra doesn't stand a chance.

Other things that don't stand a chance include Lancaster - I think I need to abandon it, but I'll come back to this after the main event...

I have 23 grenadiers (a handful aren't fully healthy) and 16 rifles. He's got one uninjured cav and one rifle, then the rest are still hurt.

I'll send in a catapult first, (it gets no hits). Then I use some unpromoted grenadiers to try and get odds for my promoted ones.

A 50/50 chance of killing his GG medic sounds good to me. Unfortunately he survives which I will probably regret...

My grenadiers kill a few units before they start being allowed to hit rifles, at which point there is a bloodbath! But now I'm not getting odds on the remaining rifles any more (I've promoted way too many of my rifles to guerilla and city garrison so they only get 50% at this point - Noble is going to kill me). So I'll send in my withdrawing horse archers to try and score some hits and flank some catapults.

After which I have a bit of a rush of blood - every one of these losses was at better than 50%, some were as high as 70%. I'm not happy. Especially about Beliarius. Worse, now I have a lot of grenadiers sitting unprotected on flat land and Hydra's units will start healing. If only I'd killed his great general medic. I think I need to move my city garrison out of Barnet to cover the injured units. frown

I'd have 14 decent units and 8 pikes to his 16 catapults and 20 nearly-healed rifles. I don't like those odds much, but I need to protect my grenadiers. If possible.

Up north I've given Lancaster up. I'll leave an archer and two rifles in it to make things at least a little tricky, but I guess he'll only lose a couple of rifles capturing it. I'll have a lot of cats and grenadiers at Halifax soon and can start drafting rifles in two turns time...

In the east Azza can walk into de_inferno next turn so I'm going to offer this deal in the hope that he doesn't come after Redditch too. The city itself is culturally crushed and only useful for the MOM. It could be taken as a sign of weakness by Azza, but no more so than the current garison of one crossbow. Lets just see how much good will it generates...

This looks a little better, hope it still looks that way next turn. Nationalism in two turns.

rawr!
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

Turn 155

Sorry no pictures - I'm on my holls on a crappy laptop. Some interesting stuff happened though - Hydra offered peace and 120 gold. I'm happy to take him up on that even though he did destroy most of that stack of badly-promoted rifles and grenadiers and burnt Lancaster. I presume he was worried I'd kill his remaining units (20 rifles and 10 cav) but I could only have got about five or six and would have lost some more of mine, so this seems like a good deal to me.

I've whipped a settler out of Halifax to hopefully re-settle Lancaster one tile further north next turn - invalidating a couple of good city spots for him and keeping control of that inland sea, but losing the fish. I'll have to settle another city for the fish at some point.

With the military panic over I've dialled down the Nationalism research again until the universities are complete and will now revolt to nationalism in about four turns - so will have only about 15 drafted rifles next time Hydra can come for me.

In the east Azza accepted my gift of the MOM city - I'm not sure how smart this move really was - but he's got a bunch of rifles within walking distance, and at the time that I made the decision I couldn't afford a two-front war. I hope he's going to send the rifles at Serdoa some time soon...

So back to builder mode for a little while.

seems like a win to me. your economy is still superior to hydras, isn't it? How long until you can finish assembly line?
or physics, if its quicker smile.

I could have physics in 3 turns I think - should I prioritize it over nationalism and steel?

It'd save you FW tongue
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

FW?

Fast Workers (they wouldn't be needed as suicide scouts).
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

lol

well maybe over steel. airships are a lot more versatile than cannons. although they can't collateral, so you'd still need cannons.

the free great scientist wouldnt hurt either.