As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[BTS] Civ IV Newbie Succession Game - Monarch - Beginning now!

GMT, Limerick.
Travelling on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

I'm in Adelaide! (GMT +9:30)

Just chuck the save into a .rar or .zip, thats the easiest way.

Okay, playing the turn now. Settling in place, teching mining and BW as first priorities. We already have Agriculture, so the first worker can to do until we get BW.

PS. Epic game speed? Really?! Well, screw it, here we go. This might throw out my planning slightly, as I am more used to playing on Standard or Quick speed.

Okay, turn played. I'll post the save now, took a few screenshots but I'm tired and have work, so no full report yet. We have explored a bit, fought off a bear with the warrior, and have Mining. BW is on its way.

Playing 10 turns apiece on this speed is going to be very dull. In the first 20, we haven't even built our worker yet. On normal, we would have the corn hooked up already, with BW a few turns from coming in.

I suggest giving the next player at least 20 turns to work with.

Attached Files
.zip   Hart t20 BC-3500 newbSG.zip (Size: 38.16 KB / Downloads: 1)

Ok, 20 each it is. great feedback Hart, it's all good learning for me on how to do this stuff better smile

I wasn't aware Epic was unusual for an SG - my thinking was that Epic would make the game a bit easier to follow since there wouldn't be so much going on between turnsets
mackoti Wrote:SO GAVAGAI WINNED ALOT BUT HE DIDNT HAD ANY PROBLEM?

Got the save, Hart, I'll play my turns tomorrow morning and post up my report after you've done yours.

upcoming turn order

Hart - JUST PLAYED
Dhal - Playing now!
BaII - Up next! (20 turns)
Brian Shanahan - 20 turns
Tasunke - 20 turns
Hart - 20 turns

It actually might be easier to follow. There'll be more turns to plan unit movement around. But build costs, food needs and tech costs are much higher, and the game will have less cities and units as a result. It might have the effect of lessening the impact of any micromanagement errors that could occur.

The main upshot is, this might take some time to finish!

It will probably also require less investment of time from participants since each turn will have less going on and thus reports will potentially be easier to write

Game speed is something I will think about more carefully next time, for now - let's see where it takes us! I look forward to reading your report Hart.

When we get up to a few non-trivial cities, there won't actually be much difference from Normal speed in things to do. It will make the early game a lot longer, slavery stronger, and make warring a bit easier.

I'm not really worried about the game speed.
Travelling on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

Okay, screenshot time!

Open up the save, and here we have it:

Doesn't seem to be much point in scouting for other resources, since we have no scout and are surrounded by forest. So we strike the earth! (Does anyone care for a naming scheme?)

And as discussed our first build is a Worker.

And we move our warrior onto the tile with the best odds of revealing new terrain...

...and it's glorious, glorious riverside grassland!

I keep moving the warrior around, revealing more and more grassland. This is going to be a great economic core. (I love Donut maps!)

This last shot was taken today, at the top of t20. You can see there's a nice amount of production, river tiles and a few food bonuses as well. I might put a few dots down later today once I have a bit of a think.

We're 14 turns from Bronze Working, but 3 turns from getting our worker out. I'm not sure how long worker actions take on Epic, but he'll be sitting idle for a little bit... unless you decide to farm the empty grassland tile 1N of the corn.

i don't think our capital will require any farms to get it to max size - every tile can feed itself once we get a lighthouse up except the mines, and the food bonuses can take care of that. we do have mining - we might have time to farm the corn then mine the southeastern hill before we need to start chopping the workboat.