As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Cultural Domination in Balance: EitB Succesion Game

Re sailing & trade, I agree. Even if we should 'only' break even, we still get two techs we need for Esus. And faster caste system means we come out (way) ahead.

Great lighthouse fell early in my turnset so can't get that.

Writing . sailing. Trade. Then currency? With out gold rate there are a few cities that would benefit greatly from them money changers.
Played: FFH PBEM XXVI (Rhoanna) FFH PBEM XXV (Shekinah) FFH PBEM XXX (Flauros) Pitboss 11 (Kublai Rome)
Playing:Pitboss 18 (Ghengis Portugal) PBEM 60 - AI start (Napoleon Inca)

(September 18th, 2013, 16:53)akatosh Wrote: Found in capital? Does AV shrine produce significant culture?

4 culture/turn for the shrine. Not sure on holy city, I think that's another 3 or 4 culture.
EitB 25 - Perpentach
Occasional mapmaker

Holy city is 2 beakers, 2 culture.

I'd put it somewhere that it can get good multipliers (don't remember if it's 1 gold per city or 1 science per city.) We should found ASAP though.

(September 18th, 2013, 18:20)DaveV Wrote: Holy city is 2 beakers, 2 culture.
Ah, thanks, DaveV. AV's a weird one.
(September 18th, 2013, 18:30)akatosh Wrote: I'd put it somewhere that it can get good multipliers (don't remember if it's 1 gold per city or 1 science per city.) We should found ASAP though.

1 science per city from the shrine, but we've got to burn a Great Person to do that. Which means we've got to make one that isn't a bard wink.

Played three turns so far, nothing exciting yet. Should have more time tomorrow to finish my turnset.
EitB 25 - Perpentach
Occasional mapmaker

Mardoc,

Bit of an off topic question. I've read some of the lurker threads from the PBEM games here and have seen that some of the players are extremely micro focused, mapping out attack paths for boats and planning turn-by-turn moves for their workers. How long does it generally take you to plan a turn? Do you set up a micro plan for each worker in your empire, estimate what tiles will be worked at what populations, when cities will grow, and scouting paths for recon units in advance, etc?

Regarding 'what may be worth it'...bone palace, perhaps? I can't check in-game, but "extra income from golden age" times "turns in golden age" probably exceeds "cost of philosophy + bone palace". Only problem is that AIs tend to want that one as well, no good if we try and fail the wonder.

----
One can do that - micro everything, make a spreadsheet with techs, city worked tiles, production for each city and worker actions. Keep it updated for X number of turns into the future. To try out different moves one can make a sandbox and compare after X number of turns.

I think for a newish player doing this, it would take a long time because he would need to try out various first before making the detailed plan. But better players should have a good understanding of what is (probably) gonna be optimal play based on previous experience, and so not need a lot of testing - more like write the plan, check it adds up/optimize a bit.

I wouldn't know about time, I generally do this do great detail first city & worker, and decliningly less as my empire grows.
Played: FFH PBEM XXVI (Rhoanna) FFH PBEM XXV (Shekinah) FFH PBEM XXX (Flauros) Pitboss 11 (Kublai Rome)

Akatosh - how long is a piece of string? lol

Time spent on a game depends on a great many factors. A turn can be between a minute and a couple hours - and I'm not in the top tier here mostly because I'm not willing to spend the time to optimize even further (I might also not be smart enough - depends who you ask smile). Early game, you may take an hour or two to make a 20-turn plan, and then 1 minute/turn actually executing it. Mid game, things take longer, and you can at least double the amount of time if you're at war or about to be. Plans are easy when you've got one worker and one city, they get much more complicated when you're looking at how all your stuff should interact, and even worse when you account for a foe.

I've been treating the SG fairly casually, only checking city screens a couple times per 10 turns - I check to see what they're doing, what tiles they're working, if those tiles are right for the city's current situation, and if they need any worker love. Workers - the main balance with them is making sure they're improving where they need to be. It's easy to see things that could be useful, but harder to prioritize correctly.

Lack of progress last night was mainly due to not having a lot of time after I finished cooking and being tired, not to spending ridiculous amounts of time on the turn. I gave up when I realized I was putting off checking on cities because it would require too much thinking wink.

Also, for the SG, I'm spending about as much time reporting as I am actually playing the turn.

I think you're right, Molach, Bone Palace is worth a try. We're Industrious and we have Marble, and we're in a GA with bonus hammers. That's got to be darn near perfect conditions. It would have the bonus of letting us run Slavery until we get a better civic unlocked - maybe we can get lucky with some barbarian orcish slaves. If we do - it might be worth holding onto some of the slaves; reserving them for the best pressure city locations later on.
EitB 25 - Perpentach
Occasional mapmaker

(September 19th, 2013, 07:46)Mardoc Wrote: Akatosh - how long is a piece of string? lol

With continued breakthroughs in string theory, I think we soon may have an answer to that.

I think it is 42. But not sure in which unit of measurement.

Is there a youtube video or a tutorial anywhere about how people do these intensive micro plans? How they set up the spreadsheets, how they glean so much information from the demographics screens? I'm the kind of person that needs to see something done once and I can learn it quickly, I'm not as good at puzzling it out on my own.