As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Gavagai, Bacchus and Elizabeth Form a Romantic Trio

A different alternative is to go for a crazy conquering spree. I think I can eventually conquer Sian, Jowy and Kurumi without much difficulty - they are behind and the gap is only increasing. Main problem with this scenario is that it will almost inevitably lead to a collision with Slowcheetah - something we both can't really afford. Also, my borders are going to become pretty awkward.

I think, I will need to go for culture after all.
Preliminary thoughts. I will need to research: Drama -> Music (doesn't require explanation, I think), Feudalism -> Guilds -> Banking (I need these gold multipliers and also want to get a great merchant from economics; also I want to have knights early), Paper -> Education (for universities, economics and liberalism), Theology -> Divine Right -> Philosophy -> Nationalism (for religion and civics; also, Spiral Minaret seems useful), Printing Press -> Replaceble parts -> Gunpowder -> Rifling (Redcoats; also, I will use a lot of RP-enhances windmills, I think), Chemistry -> Steel (workshops and cannons), Military tradition (cavalry).
Also: Calendar (my next tech after Machinery), Compass -> Optics. I think harbours and caravels can be of use.
What I decided to skip: Astronomy (too expansive, I think, I will just give up the sea), Constitution -> Corporation (Representation, Jails, Wall Street but don't worth it, I think), Biology/Communism (useful but too expansive).
Biggest question is if I should go for Economics after Music or Divine Right. I either risk losing a religion and a wonder or risk losing a merchant and delaying a lot of key economic techs. May be I will use a compromise like Guilds -> Divine Right -> Economics. A lot of will depend on the shape of my economy after golden age.
I'm going to launch two more GAs and most possibly use a scientist for education bulb. During first GA I will switch to Nationhood, Free Market and Caste, during second - to final civics which will be: Heredatory Rule, Free Speech, Caste System, Merchantelism, Pacifism.
Major problems: EP and gold. I imagine that Serdoa would normally accumulate an enourmous EP advantage over me. Happily, spies are banned (or culture victory would be just impossible) but if he would have full visbility on me, it will be rather unpleasant. I think I will need to run EP-slider quite a lot.
Also, gold. I'm planning to sit in Pacifism with a huge army at hand. Enough said. That's the reason I want to have Spiral Minaret.

Missed HBR and and Engineering in the above post. I think, I will most likely give up Economic Merchant and delay Guilds until after DR and Education.

If I skip Economics, I can spam castles for EP bonus. Nice idea, actually.

Also, Castles give +1 culture - one small step to victory. cool

(September 29th, 2013, 17:54)Gavagai Wrote: I guess, my point is that my land must have some balancing advantages which I failed to exploit.

I have to say, this is a refreshing take on "blame the mapmaker"! lol

(October 4th, 2013, 12:05)WilliamLP Wrote:
(September 29th, 2013, 17:54)Gavagai Wrote: I guess, my point is that my land must have some balancing advantages which I failed to exploit.

I have to say, this is a refreshing take on "blame the mapmaker"! lol

Yeah, this is the recurring theme. Though should I complain? Egypt, for example, is much more screwed.

Surely you must be joking:

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0152.JPG]

Serdoa's golden age has ended.

Also, we have researched Machinery and produced our first Maceman same turn.

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0153.JPG]

What's even wrong with this guy? I DOWed him to deny Nakor Iron, he offered cease-fire, I accepted and here you are, he is sending him Iron again. Doesn't he understand that I can easily redeclare? Will DOW him after Nakor plays his turn.

A question for lurkers: do open borders increase the chance of spreading religion? I'm thinking about offering OB to Jowy to get Hinduism. Of course, I can always capture this city:

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0154.JPG]

but it seems stupid to go to war just to get a religion. Especially given that I might not have the luxury to do it.

Nope, OB do not boost spread chance.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.