As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

RBP13 IT and Tech Issues Thread

Does it make a difference if other people are logged in or not?

Doesn't seem to - except insofar that your teammate can sometimes ruin a successful attempt to connect because I wait for him to log out and then it doesn't work anymore :P
mackoti Wrote:SO GAVAGAI WINNED ALOT BUT HE DIDNT HAD ANY PROBLEM?

My guess is it has to do with your internet speed. I understand it isn't THAT slow, but so far that seems like the thing that's out of the ordinary and might vary from moment to moment, unlike say a firewall setting.

When I say slow, I mean 4-5 megabit, not dialup. Not slow enough to be bottlenecking a mere authentication request.

You could rule it out by trying to log in on someone else's WiFi...

(December 6th, 2013, 10:21)Dhalphir Wrote: When I say slow, I mean 4-5 megabit, not dialup. Not slow enough to be bottlenecking a mere authentication request.

I don't know the code at all, but I wouldn't presume there's anything "mere" about the net activity Civ 4 does before you see the civ select screen.

Not sure I understand...

(December 5th, 2013, 21:10)Dhalphir Wrote: Uninstalling and reinstalling isn't really an option, as I have very slow internet that would take longer than a turn to reinstall from Steam.

4 Mb/second is over 40 GB/day, which is shorter than an in-game turn IIRC. Surely the Steam edition of BtS isn't THAT big, is it?!

If you have that much bandwidth why not reinstall? If you don't then I stand behind my initial guess.

Well, my internet is very slow. And I mean, very slow (for today's standards, at least). When it's in a good mood, I can download ~60 kb/s. So, I don't think a slow connection is the problem, at least it doesn't make sense to me.

(December 6th, 2013, 14:22)sunrise089 Wrote: Not sure I understand...

(December 5th, 2013, 21:10)Dhalphir Wrote: Uninstalling and reinstalling isn't really an option, as I have very slow internet that would take longer than a turn to reinstall from Steam.

4 Mb/second is over 40 GB/day, which is shorter than an in-game turn IIRC. Surely the Steam edition of BtS isn't THAT big, is it?!

If you have that much bandwidth why not reinstall? If you don't then I stand behind my initial guess.

Well, you're right, I was exaggerating a bit. But as I said, the problem is identical on my Surface Pro, which has a different operating system as well as its own fresh install.

Game paused with little over an hour to go
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player