As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss 18 Organizing Thread (RB Mod 34 Civs)

(February 12th, 2014, 13:39)Bobchillingworth Wrote: Well, good luck then! I'm pretty sure we already once tried to have a game with ALL THE PEOPLE and EVERYTHING and it was called PB3. And that game died a horrible, sputtering death even though like every team had four players. This sort of game always sounds really fun in concept, but there is zero way this doesn't end in angry tech thread rants and universal disgust circa T100, when some of the players are treating it like a competitive MP game, others are tuned out & on autopilot after the initial jolt of interest has worn off, and a few are reducing the game to a crawl with endless pauses.

PB13 has just as many players as PB3. It's been a rousing success, and I believe it's safe to say it's probably the most followed game on the site right now. Settings and pre-game mindset matter more than number of players. Maybe I'm wrong because I'm obviously not reading other threads, but I get the sense that most players are enjoying that game, and I definitely know lurkers are.

The ghost civ idea is something we've thrown around as an idea quite a bit before, and this does sound like the game type where it actually makes sense to do.

(February 12th, 2014, 13:40)Sullla Wrote: If the playerbase is interested in this sort of thing, I would be happy to run the ghost civ and post screenshots for whatever lurker thread exists. Best of luck organizing such a monstrous undertaking. smile

You've just greatly increased the odds I choose to play smile. It'd be great fun to be able to read a history of the world afterward that actually includes everything that happened. Plus it'd be quite useful to see a critique of my play where the critiquer knows what I'm leaving out because I don't realize it's important.
EitB 25 - Perpentach
Occasional mapmaker

(February 12th, 2014, 14:14)Bobchillingworth Wrote: a lot of people were pumped to just go play some civ with a ton of other RBers

I don't think PB3 is a good comparison because it's well understood what made that game suck. A better comparison is PB13, where (I think?) quite a few players of varying skill levels have had fun.

Speaking without spoiler info I hope, the big and mysterious world with so many games within a game going on is a lot of the fun of it, and having much of the world hidden would make for a really interesting game from a "story" point of view if not a competitive one.

(February 12th, 2014, 14:00)darrelljs Wrote: PB3 was the worst experience of my life, and I'm 40 so that means something. To be fair though, the biggest reason was that it was a full diplo game with tech trading and Krilliavelli.

Darrell

+1

PB3 was a horrible game, and turned me off from BTS for a long long time.

I have to say, I love the idea.  As long as people keep the right attitude this should be great.  I also had a lot of fun in PB7 before it died a fiery death.  As for joining, I'm on the fence.  It also sounds like a lot of fun to help facilitate the awards and help try to make it so everyone has something to win
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Signing up.
(Based on what I've read so far)

"No tech trading" and "No diplomacy" are my preferences.

Random leader/civ assigned?
Played: FFH PBEM XXVI (Rhoanna) FFH PBEM XXV (Shekinah) FFH PBEM XXX (Flauros) Pitboss 11 (Kublai Rome)
Playing:Pitboss 18 (Ghengis Portugal) PBEM 60 - AI start (Napoleon Inca)

We don't need that many people to organize awards. We need players. nod

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

(February 12th, 2014, 14:16)scooter Wrote: PB13 has just as many players as PB3. It's been a rousing success, and I believe it's safe to say it's probably the most followed game on the site right now. Settings and pre-game mindset matter more than number of players. Maybe I'm wrong because I'm obviously not reading other threads, but I get the sense that most players are enjoying that game, and I definitely know lurkers are.

Well the other PB's currently running are two greens PB's and two non-RB PB's :P
I do think PB13 was a success though.

Current Player Signups (please confirm or deny as appropriate)

1. Krill
2. spacetyrantxenu
3. plako
4. Dhalphir
5. BRickAstley
6. Cyneheard (maybe?)
7. scooter
8. Oxyphenbutazone (spelled name right, no TT, how about now?)
9. WilliamLP
10. Boldly Going Nowhere
11. Azza
12. Nakor (signup?)
13. Cheater Hater (signup?)
14. Qgqqqqq
15. Jowy (but the map will surely be larger than 2 cities pre-war)
16. yuris125
17. Catwalk
18. dtay (was that a signup?)
19. Mardoc (maybe?)
20. pindicator (loves it, needs to embrace it)
21. Molach (I AM PLAYING)
34. Sullla (lurker civ)

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

(February 12th, 2014, 15:21)spacetyrantxenu Wrote: 15. Jowy (but the map will surely be larger than 2 cities pre-war)

Okay remove me then, I'm not gonna play a proper game until I finish up my old ones.