As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss 18 Organizing Thread (RB Mod 34 Civs)

(February 19th, 2014, 08:56)plako Wrote: Any idea how to implement the observation civ for Sullla. I gave this little thought and came out with this:
* owns useless city surrounded by mountains
* Has access to Satellites tech
* 33 Great spies placed near every other player capital that will then be used to infiltrate after settling
* 33 Airships that can be used to further monitor progress
* 6*Merchants settled to pay the bills
* No one should ever interact in any way with this civ
* After spies has been infiltrated could be turned to AI (Sullla does not need to log in every turn to keep game rolling smoothly)

Just as an FYI, I wouldn't have any problem logging in to end turns for an observer civ. For a 34 player game, I would probably log in all the time whether it was necessary or not. biggrin
Follow Sullla: Website | YouTube | Livestream | Twitter | Discord

PB13 has probably a good number of "average tiles per player", but I think the game could be fun also with e.g. 10-20 % less tiles per player. However, as already stated, it is important that spacing is done with thought. Toroid helps probably a bit in this compared to PB13, but especially if the map is continent-like mapmaker should take into account dynamics that often lead into players on sides pushing towards the middle.
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Okay, looks like we're in a current equilibrium a bit low of 34, but that's fine; I'm going to make me map, make it for 30-33+one Shang-ra-la-peaky-city-full-of-settled merchants working spies. Sullla gets Darius of India, that's then only civ I'm "assigning".

...that being said, I am going to slide the scales a bit, and you will find variable density upon this map based on preferences. There will be lusher equatorial spots with tighter spacing and more realistic temperate zones with north of 220 tiles per person, and I'll roll each person in their preferred "band". Now these are not OCC tightness spaces anywhere, OCC chanters like Brick are best served teaming with reasonable more normal folks like Mardoc; we're not cramming anything, and the variance should be lower than the de facto variance of PB13. BUT, please do not pull a retep people, going wandering will earn you mapmaker bile.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

It would probably help people know what to expect if you posted your target number peaceful citys/civ or something like that.

I love that "pulling a retep" has entered the common parlance
mackoti Wrote:SO GAVAGAI WINNED ALOT BUT HE DIDNT HAD ANY PROBLEM?

I agree with everything Plako said, and am ambivalent to the land area (so long as it remains reasonable and there is enough water to make contact with more then just the close opponents).
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

(February 19th, 2014, 21:45)Commodore Wrote: you will find variable density upon this map based on preferences. There will be lusher equatorial spots with tighter spacing and more realistic temperate zones with north of 220 tiles per person, and I'll roll each person in their preferred "band".
I think that's a very interesting solution to the different preferences stated. I'll jump back on board for that (as a cramped setting was one of my interests in this). Probably much harder to balance, but it seems perfect balance isn't top priority anyway. Will you define preference as either cramped or spacious, or will there be more "levels" to choose from?

I have a question about this game.

Why 34, specifically? I mean, it's not like its double the current number, and I don't think it was specially calculated based on how many members we have. 34 just seems like an oddly specific number, and strange that we are shooting so specifically for it. I mean, surely a game with 30 civs would be equally crazy. Or 28. Or 26.

There are 34 civilizations total.

Oooh, that makes sense.