As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss 18 IT and Tech Issues Thread

(March 12th, 2014, 04:57)novice Wrote: Oh and I agree that we will probably need a working civstats tool. Does anybody know how civstats actually works?

I don't know how the uploader reads the game state and passes updates to the webserver. We could try monitoring outbound packets sent from a pitboss server destined for the civstats website and see if we can figure out what is in the upload data. That would give an idea of what the uploader sends out and, maybe, an idea of what kinds of information it reads from the game server. I don't think we'll know the "how" part, though, unless someone can decompile the uploader software and read through it, if that's possible. Much better if OverloadUT is around and can update the software for us though, because we have no way of finding out what work happens on the back end with the database.

Plako mentioned sending OverloadUT a PM at Civfanatics. Did you also send him an email? It's listed in the FAQ section on the Civstats website.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

I did send private message through CFC - No response yet. No harm done, if someone else sends an email to him. I did a little digging and I think civstats just monitors the pitboss server window and changes there i.e. I feel it would be quite a lot of work in that approach. Other alternative is to add monitoring features to the mod, but then we would need to wait until those are implemented before we could start (I suspect Spanish mod is doing something like this).

I also did send similar Private message to Hart. In our Eitb pitboss we had another site that monitored the game.

(March 5th, 2014, 18:07)yuris125 Wrote: I'm getting stuck in the Select a Civ screen. Is it supposed to be slow, or is it just me?

I still have the same problem. Mod installed in C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\RB Mod 2.0.6.2, desktop.ini is present. Just re-downloaded the mod just in case, didn't change anything. Any advice please?

I've reinstalled the mod, same problem as before. Is this a MyGames folder issue? I have the mod saved there because that is where Civ recognizes it. When I extract the mod to the folder that Xenu indicated,
Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods
Civ does not recognize that the mod is in place. However, other mods loaded in that folder are recognized by Civ.

[Image: T0%20more%20help.JPG]

[Image: T0%20more%20help2.JPG]

Left:

Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods

Right:

Code:
C:\Users\Phil\Documents\My Games\beyond the sword\MODS

Is there a way to make Civ not read from My Games? Otherwise, I'm not sure.

This is the next level down after the Mods folder, after I've deleted the extra folder layer:

[Image: T0%20more%20help3.JPG]

Any ideas?

(March 12th, 2014, 08:41)yuris125 Wrote:
(March 5th, 2014, 18:07)yuris125 Wrote: I'm getting stuck in the Select a Civ screen. Is it supposed to be slow, or is it just me?

I still have the same problem. Mod installed in C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\RB Mod 2.0.6.2, desktop.ini is present. Just re-downloaded the mod just in case, didn't change anything. Any advice please?

That looks like a firewall issue. I see the same thing from work, and I have to bypass my workplace's firewall by using mobile wireless to connect to the game.
I have to run.

Remove from your my games folder so you only have one copy of the mod to load. And close civ and reopen it after you've done so. Then try launching civ and loading the mod only from the program files location.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

(March 12th, 2014, 08:46)novice Wrote: That looks like a firewall issue. I see the same thing from work, and I have to bypass my workplace's firewall by using mobile wireless to connect to the game.

Wouldn't firewall block all games, not just this one? I just played Pitboss 17 turn without problems

Boldly, and after you've tried what Xenu said, if it still doesn't work, go back to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\RB Mod 2.0.6.2\ in your file explorer and click Organize->Folder and search options->View->Show hidden files, folders and drives and click OK. Is there a hidden desktop.ini file in that folder?

(If you normally don't display hidden files and you've been moving the mod files around, the hidden file may not have been moved along with the rest of the files. This would trigger the "protected assets" warning.)
I have to run.

(March 12th, 2014, 08:46)spacetyrantxenu Wrote: Remove from your my games folder so you only have one copy of the mod to load. And close civ and reopen it after you've done so. Then try launching civ and loading the mod only from the program files location.

I tried this but it doesn't show up as an option there. I found this in the civ.ini file:

Code:
; Specify a Mod folder (Mods\Mesopotamia), '0' for none
Mod = 0

Can I assign a path there? I'm sorry for cluttering this thread up so much. There's a reason I usually let Xenu fix things for me. shakehead

Edit: Clearly that wasn't the answer. It just loads the game as a mod without actually being a mod. Hmm.

(March 12th, 2014, 08:49)yuris125 Wrote:
(March 12th, 2014, 08:46)novice Wrote: That looks like a firewall issue. I see the same thing from work, and I have to bypass my workplace's firewall by using mobile wireless to connect to the game.

Wouldn't firewall block all games, not just this one? I just played Pitboss 17 turn without problems

PB17 is hosted on dyndns.org on port 2064, this game is hosted on no-ip.org on port 2058. So there might be a difference. Are you able to ping caledorn.no-ip.org from your computer? I'm not, but I am able to ping sunrise089.dyndns.org.

You can try connecting using the IP address instead of the dns name:
87.252.66.245:2058
I have to run.