As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss 18 IT and Tech Issues Thread

I managed to connect with firewall off. Doesn't make much sense - Civ is a trusted application with all activity allowed. In theory

Firewall log, are there any clues there?

[Image: Firewall.png]

My second computer is having the same problem as my home desktop. Is there an issue with the game being installed into the My Games folder?

(March 12th, 2014, 09:32)novice Wrote:
(March 12th, 2014, 09:13)Boldly Going Nowhere Wrote:
(March 12th, 2014, 08:52)novice Wrote: Boldly, and after you've tried what Xenu said, if it still doesn't work, go back to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\RB Mod 2.0.6.2\ in your file explorer and click Organize->Folder and search options->View->Show hidden files, folders and drives and click OK. Is there a hidden desktop.ini file in that folder?

(If you normally don't display hidden files and you've been moving the mod files around, the hidden file may not have been moved along with the rest of the files. This would trigger the "protected assets" warning.)

I do not see a hidden desktop.ini file in that folder. I searched for one on my computer and one exists, but it does not appear to be in any way related to Civ (located C:\Windows\System32).

I'm going to have to take a break on this for now and take my dog to the vet. Thanks for the help.

Umm... I may have led you down a garden path. duh The desktop.ini file was in a previous version of the mod but apparently it's been removed in this version (as it should be).

Another thing for you to try then: Redownload the mod, and before extracting the zip file, right-click it and select properties, and see if there's an "Unblock" button showing in the property page. If there is, click it before you unzip the file.

I also tried this but did not see an "Unblock" option. Would it be on the "General" tab/page? I looked through all of them (Security/Details/Previous Versions) as well as the "Advanced" button by "Attributes" but did not see anything saying "Unblock", so this must not be an issue.

(March 12th, 2014, 13:21)yuris125 Wrote: I managed to connect with firewall off. Doesn't make much sense - Civ is a trusted application with all activity allowed. In theory

Well, looks like your firewall is blocking ICMP traffic. Stop doing that and you might be okay. At its core ICMP was designed as the debugging, troubleshooting, and error reporting mechanism for IP, and you shouldn't really be blocking it unless you have a good and specific reason to do so.
I have to run.

(March 12th, 2014, 13:41)Boldly Going Nowhere Wrote: My second computer is having the same problem as my home desktop.

Sounds like a pebcac error.
I have to run.

(March 12th, 2014, 13:46)novice Wrote:
(March 12th, 2014, 13:21)yuris125 Wrote: I managed to connect with firewall off. Doesn't make much sense - Civ is a trusted application with all activity allowed. In theory

Well, looks like your firewall is blocking ICMP traffic. Stop doing that and you might be okay. At its core ICMP was designed as the debugging, troubleshooting, and error reporting mechanism for IP, and you shouldn't really be blocking it unless you have a good and specific reason to do so.

Silently discarding ICMP echo packets helps firewalls hide devices on a network. That would be why in the simplest case of two devices on a local network when you try to ping a computer with its firewall turned on (including blocking ICMP packets) you get no reply and the ping result is "request timed out".

I have a list of ports Civ uses on my computer at home, I don't have access to it from work. Anyway, I wonder what is different trying to connect to Caledorn's server versus connecting to Sunrise's server -- I don't think Yuri has had any trouble logging in to other games lately on Sunrise's end? And likewise I haven't heard a lot of trouble from people connecting to Caledorn's server either. Without Civstats working its hard to know whether the problem was simply bouncing off someone else who happened to be connected at the time. Although I guess if someone was logged in the game client would have said something about attempting to peer with someone....I dunno. noidea

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

By the way, going by the settings from first post, and also my mention of the different starts for the "we want tight!" set, this is a 60x124 cylinder. It'd considerably more roomy than, say, PB15 for you "normal" people and every single land tile is going to be eligible for being in city borders. I know the tile amounts look scary, but don't worry folks. wink
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

(March 12th, 2014, 13:48)novice Wrote:
(March 12th, 2014, 13:41)Boldly Going Nowhere Wrote: My second computer is having the same problem as my home desktop.

Haha. I thought this might end up being the case. I would like to think that if I had any control over my own network that I'd have less of these problems, but I'm not really even convinced that is true. bang

Xenu, let me know which software I need to install for you to remote in. This?

Sounds like a pebkac error.

Most likely that's the cause of it, but Boldly does connect from a campus network and has no control over it. He probably tried the connection from both devices from the same network.

Hey bro, go get a cup of coffee and try again on your laptop from a different network off campus.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

(March 12th, 2014, 13:59)Boldly Going Nowhere Wrote:

Haha. I thought this might end up being the case. I would like to think that if I had any control over my own network that I'd have less of these problems, but I'm not really even convinced that is true. bang

Xenu, let me know which software I need to install for you to remote in. This?

That will work but don't do it now. I'll call you tonight.