As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss 18 IT and Tech Issues Thread

(March 13th, 2014, 10:37)Mardoc Wrote: So, I realize we'd prefer to have it automated, but could we start playing with a simpler solution? Open a Google Spreadsheet, with a row for each team and a column for each turn, and when you play your turn, go write 'done' in the appropriate cell.

Well, once the game has started we'd need to restart from scratch if we need to make code changes to the mod.

...or could everybody* just apply a dll hotfix?

*except BGN
I have to run.

If the hotfix consists of a copy/paste operation to drop the new .dll over the old one, BGN can do that, at least now that the mod is only installed in one directory. smile

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

What's a .dll? neenerneener

The worst part about me being so bad at fixing things is I'm the guy who fixes basic computer problems for my office, but nothing more serious than getting rid of the pile of garbage that my boss installs on her computer that prevents her getting to the internet. You should see this bunch that I work with... I do fine with the stuff that you train me to do but really struggle with anything else. That is why Xenu is here. :thumsup:

Edit: I'm going to leave that obvious mistake as a testament to my awesomeness on computers. lol

Unless there are massive objections, I am postponing the gamestart until we have figured out how to deal with the Civstats issue. I dread that I will have a reload request bonanza in the upcoming weeks if we start the game without something that can function as Civstats. Do note that we should also have an automated emailer built in to the application that can email every (alive) player that the turn has flipped if we end up with a custombuilt solution.
As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master. - Commissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"

While I am personally eager to begin, I think it's pretty clear that a sizable portion of the group would be extremely unhappy to play without civstats or some sort of substitute. I'm guessing this will be an indefinite hold until a solution is found?

Completed: PB 28, PBEM 55, PB 18, PBEM 60, some other stuff, PB 2

How about something as simple as an e-mail list which you drop an e-mail to if you finish the turn? And if the player finishing fails to do so, first player who logs on after sends it instead. We won't get any way to track double moves, but we're mostly taking that on faith anyway. It'd be less work than Mardoc's solution, utilizes something people use already and doesn't require everybody to do something actively. I'm not in a hurry to get started, though.

(March 12th, 2014, 05:59)Bacchus Wrote: Without civstats, we could use a separate stickied thread, where only turn progress would be posted.

This is the best manual workaround IMO. People post when they end turn, with info on how many players are left to play and how much time is left.

If it is possible to hotfix a game in progress we could go for this workaround.
I have to run.

Google, why do you fail me?

That's the first time something I wrote turned up as the first Google search result for something I was searching for.... lol

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

That's hilarious.

Completed: PB 28, PBEM 55, PB 18, PBEM 60, some other stuff, PB 2