As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss 18 IT and Tech Issues Thread

If he hasn't touched the code in six years I wonder if there's any chance he'd be willing to hand it off to someone?

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

(March 14th, 2014, 14:07)Caledorn Wrote: Sorry, but that didn't work. I immediately got an error message after selecting the pitboss.exe file that states:

Line 5713 (File "my/path/to/CivStatsUploader.exe"):

Error: Variable used without being declared.

Ahh... Well it appears he's attending this at CFC, maybe follow up with him in the thread I posted to?

(March 14th, 2014, 14:31)WilliamLP Wrote:
(March 14th, 2014, 14:07)Caledorn Wrote: Sorry, but that didn't work. I immediately got an error message after selecting the pitboss.exe file that states:

Line 5713 (File "my/path/to/CivStatsUploader.exe"):

Error: Variable used without being declared.

Ahh... Well it appears he's attending this at CFC, maybe follow up with him in the thread I posted to?

Posted there! Thanks for the link, WilliamLP smile
As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master. - Commissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"

I'll take Saladin back if needed, but if anyone responds to Boldy's personal ad I'm happy to hand him over.

I got tired of fine tuning so I've sent a new dll version to Krill that hopefully launches a new version of the mod. This will write 3 text files to C:\temp folder.

Current formats are like this (added turn played asterix to score.txt):
score.txt
Code:
* --- plako_brenn --- 48 --- 0
  --- Hannibal --- 11 --- 1
  --- Peter --- 11 --- 2
* or no star means whether player has ended turn or not. Then player name, the score and lastly player ID.

time.txt
Code:
23:56:19
Sat Mar 15 01:02:29 2014
1stis current turn timer value and 2nd is system time in the host machine.

event.txt
Code:
Sat Mar 15 01:01:20 2014  --- plako --- DisConnected --- 2
Sat Mar 15 01:01:20 2014  --- plako --- 48 --- 2
Sat Mar 15 00:59:42 2014  --- plako --- END TURN --- 2
Sat Mar 15 00:58:57 2014  --- plako --- Connected --- 2
Sat Mar 15 00:58:35 2014  --- Peter --- 11 --- 2
Sat Mar 15 00:58:35 2014  --- Hannibal --- 11 --- 1
Sat Mar 15 00:58:35 2014  --- Shaka --- 11 --- 0

Not as good as civstats. Probably I could make it the same, but I don't feel like doing it. So ther are 1st the current system time in host machine, player name and event that can be either Connected, Disconnected, END TURN or score change. Last value is player ID. There is one known problem: score changes are not instantenous i.e. there is some delay and e.g. in the case above it seems like the score is updated when player logs out from the game. The size of this is limited i.e. old events will start to disappear from the bottom of the list eventually.

Awesome job, plako. I don't think you or anyone else should bother with adding more info to this. Civstats is supposed to help players know how much time they have and which players are yet to play. It doesn't need to be a tool to help C&D. Or does score tracking has a more important use that I'm not aware of?

Edited the description in #405. I added Player ID event and score files.

Unfortunately found a bug that I won't be able to fix todayso you'll had to wait for tomorrow.

I updated the web app to display the file formats described by plako.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1521...portal.zip

This is what it looks like:

I have to run.

(March 14th, 2014, 18:26)Ichabod Wrote: Awesome job, plako. I don't think you or anyone else should bother with adding more info to this. Civstats is supposed to help players know how much time they have and which players are yet to play. It doesn't need to be a tool to help C&D. Or does score tracking has a more important use that I'm not aware of?

From the Civstats FAQ Wrote:Q: Isn't it unfair to allow players to see exactly when other players are logging in? Combined with being able to tell when scores increase you can even tell when two players make a trade!
A: My reasoning is this: The information that's available on civstats.com is the same information that someone could get by just staying logged in to the server and watching. They could see when people log in, and when people's score increases. This means that the unemployed guy that does nothing but log in every hour to check up gets an advantage over the players that can only log in once per day to play their turn. I find that by making the information available to everybody it prevents this slight advantage that a more... jobless person might get. You can tell when two players conduct a technology trade because both of their scores go up at the same time. But then again, you can get that exact same information (even more actually) by closely watching the foreign advisor.

It can be a time equalizer, if we were dealing with the alleged jobless Civ player who camps the game all day. But I don't know if it's worth the trouble worrying over. However, I say this as someone who doesn't do a lot of in depth C&D work as the game goes on, people who like digging into the kind of information Civstats provides may disagree. And I'll admit that kind of information can certainly be helpful to have, but I don't think it's necessary for us to play the game.

As long as we're able to police wartime turn splits and detect double move situations, I think that's all the information we need to have.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

Without this info, you'll get a way stronger "WTF happened to my Civ" feeling once you log into the game and see that half your cities were captured/razed! It's not the same when civstats warn you.

I live for this kind of thrill! bang