As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss 18 IT and Tech Issues Thread

Spacetyrantxenu, can you perhaps make that .exe available somewhere, like a dropbox or mediafire or something? I'd love to try that, if its really such a simple fix.

If there really is no installation required on BTS or regediting, then it's probably just easier to find a fully installed hard copy from somewhere else on the internet.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid about the RIAA (or whoever the hell it is), but I'd hate to see a cease & desist letter issued for what we're talking about. That's just stupid paranoia though, right?

You can tell Steam not to update specific games, so you won't have to take Steam completely offline to keep Civ from updating.

(June 5th, 2014, 23:21)Cheater Hater Wrote: You can tell Steam not to update specific games, so you won't have to take Steam completely offline to keep Civ from updating.

Except that anyone who had their computer and steam online today without having previously disabled updates has already been hit with this update. banghead

Before we get into talking about hosting and sharing .exe files on the internet (just how much do you guys trust me? lol ), if you have a backup mechanism in place on your computer (Time Machine for Mac users, Previous Versions for Windows users) that seems to be the easiest way to recover. If you didn't have those configured, we'll have to come up with alternate solutions.

Does anyone live in a country where legal restrictions aren't as retarded as in the US? Somewhere where publicly hosting a game.exe file isn't illegal? I'm normally not worried about those kinds of things but I don't think we should host them on this site.

Maybe if you have trouble restoring your own files from backup you can PM me about it and I'll see if I can help you retrieve the backup copy I've been holding for you since you gave it to me....

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

I was able to confirm spacetyrantxenu's solution from the general thread and was able to load my games in both RB18 and RB20, more details here:

http://realmsbeyond.net/forums/showthrea...#pid483531

Since the game is in a state of temporary pause, weren't there a couple of things we were discussing re: replacing files to make the interface more manageable for 32 players?

(June 6th, 2014, 06:27)Azza Wrote: Since the game is in a state of temporary pause, weren't there a couple of things we were discussing re: replacing files to make the interface more manageable for 32 players?

I agree. We should get these things that were previously discussed implemented while we're stuck waiting on those with Steam to get their systems resolved.. It's really annoying not being able to see the top of the scoreboard in-game, for one.

(June 6th, 2014, 06:27)Azza Wrote: Since the game is in a state of temporary pause, weren't there a couple of things we were discussing re: replacing files to make the interface more manageable for 32 players?

IIRC - there were two changes. One involved reducing the spacing in the scoreboard (see linked post from T-hawk). I can't see any attached code but the link below does include what needs adjusting and where (ie which file). I can put that together tonight.

(March 23rd, 2014, 14:38)T-hawk Wrote: Looks reasonable to me. Yes, you'll get the "different assets" warning unless both the Pitboss host and you put that in place. So I'm not sure how to test it without disrupting the live game.

As for the scoreboard itself, that's really simple. In CvMainInterface.py, change the line "iBtnHeight = 22" to a smaller number. Here's what it looks like at 14.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1072]

I'll let Krill or whoever handle the editing and packaging and distribution of that change.

The other change was to remove the lurker info from the stats page (max, min, average) as well as to change the ranking approach.

Note that we are talking about changing how Civ4 generates the rank so that two people with the same value get the same rank. Civ4 gives the person lower down in the list of civs a higher rank (result from reverse sort).

Again - I can review this change and finalize it tonight.

(March 23rd, 2014, 16:12)Ruff_Hi Wrote: Here is the final file, again with the compare back to the base file. I've tested it in a SP game and it works fine (assuming the lurker civ is #16).
I have finally decided to put down some cash and register a website. It is www.ruffhi.com. Now I remain free to move the hosting options without having to change the name of the site.

(October 22nd, 2014, 10:52)Caledorn Wrote: And ruff is officially banned from playing in my games as a reward for ruining my big surprise by posting silly and correct theories in the PB18 tech thread.

If new version of he mod is going to be taken into use, I would include also following changes:
* Bug fix for score tracking i.e. now score is updated only when player is not logged in
* Change the maximum number of lines logged in to the tracking. I think it is currently 4000. Something like 1000 would be better. Now loading the tracker page takes a while
* Pause fix i.e. one could unpause even when there are incoming diplo messages (they would appear when game is unpaused)

(June 6th, 2014, 08:38)plako Wrote: * Bug fix for score tracking i.e. now score is updated only when player is not logged in

I haven't figured out yet if that's a bug or a feature! It does change gameplay somewhat, e.g. adding a tiny information advantage to settling and then whipping to not produce a score event.