As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss 18 IT and Tech Issues Thread

Caledorn has reloaded just now. The game is back up, play on.

(But not Bacchus, yet. lol )
Lord Parkin
Past games: Pitboss 4 | Pitboss 7 | Pitboss 14Pitboss 18 | Pitboss 20 | Pitboss 21

(July 10th, 2014, 19:02)novice Wrote:
(July 10th, 2014, 17:14)spacetyrantxenu Wrote: I would suggest that when someone logs in to pause the game that you log in with something in your name indicating a game issue so other players don't just unpause and play anyway. That way there's a visible disclaimer in case someone doesn't visit the tech thread, or only checks the pitboss portal.

Good idea. "Game Paused by CHECK TECH THREAD" ought to work.

Or, instead of having convoluted requirements for people pausing games, that probably won't work anyway, people could try not being idiots? I mean, the game is obviously paused for a reason, if you don't know why it's paused, check the thread!
mackoti Wrote:SO GAVAGAI WINNED ALOT BUT HE DIDNT HAD ANY PROBLEM?

I PM'ed Krill, Furungy, Zanth, HitAnyKey and MYKI letting them know that they need to replay.
I have to run.

(July 11th, 2014, 03:06)Dhalphir Wrote:
(July 10th, 2014, 19:02)novice Wrote:
(July 10th, 2014, 17:14)spacetyrantxenu Wrote: I would suggest that when someone logs in to pause the game that you log in with something in your name indicating a game issue so other players don't just unpause and play anyway. That way there's a visible disclaimer in case someone doesn't visit the tech thread, or only checks the pitboss portal.

Good idea. "Game Paused by CHECK TECH THREAD" ought to work.

Or, instead of having convoluted requirements for people pausing games, that probably won't work anyway, people could try not being idiots? I mean, the game is obviously paused for a reason, if you don't know why it's paused, check the thread!

Well that all sounds like good advice, doesn't it? But in reality it turns out that some players either don't check the tech thread, don't know to, or for some other reason go right through a pause without considering that it should have been a stop sign. It isn't unique to PB18. About the same time you made your post yesterday asking why someone would play through a paused game there was a post in the PB17 tech thread where someone had done just that, it happens. Instead of questioning why it happens (which is almost assuredly along the lines of "these games are played by people and people make mistakes") why not instead simply try to find a method to reduce the possible problems other players could face as a result of the error? It only takes one person playing through a paused game to spoil the turn for others, because subsequent players probably won't know the game was ever paused at all, unless they'd checked the portal or tech thread already. And if they'd done that they probably would not have even logged in to play, already knowing about the game issue that needs addressing that was holding up remaining players from playing their turns.

It doesn't seem like an undue burden or a "convoluted requirement" to suggest that someone log in with a name that states why the game is paused for everyone to see. If you don't want to do it then don't, with this many players someone will do it and help the remaining players out. That doesn't seem idiotic to me.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

I don't think it's idiotic to take measures to prevent other people doing silly things. That wasn't my meaning at all. I'd actually hoped one of the people who did play would shed some light on why they didn't think twice about unpausing without checking the thread. I thought that was a given in this game.
mackoti Wrote:SO GAVAGAI WINNED ALOT BUT HE DIDNT HAD ANY PROBLEM?

Stuck on Finishing. Just me?

What we need is a giant floating global sign that anyone can place that every player can see.
I have finally decided to put down some cash and register a website. It is www.ruffhi.com. Now I remain free to move the hosting options without having to change the name of the site.

(October 22nd, 2014, 10:52)Caledorn Wrote: And ruff is officially banned from playing in my games as a reward for ruining my big surprise by posting silly and correct theories in the PB18 tech thread.

The tracker shows Cheater Hater as playing, but it doesn't look like CH has logged in since the turn was reloaded. Is this just an artifact of the reload? It doesn't look like CH has actually played since the game was reloaded.

Completed: PB 28, PBEM 55, PB 18, PBEM 60, some other stuff, PB 2

Just already in advance: We are probably going to need to pause the game later today so that people manage to replay their turns. Currently there are still 6 hours in the clock, but most certainly there will be several people who aren't aware of the situation and checking the tech thread.. So people with no life on Friday evening.. mischief Pay some attention to the clock and maybe even poke some of the slackers!
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

I guess Cal reloaded to his log in so the tracker doesn't know he logged out?