As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss 18 IT and Tech Issues Thread

(July 29th, 2014, 18:19)Boldly Going Nowhere Wrote: On another topic, I logged back in to pause, just under 3h remaining and 12 still to play. I do not know how many of these waiting to play are waiting on an opponent in a timer split, but we have discussed treating war splits as occasions for the first half player to hustle it up so the second half isn't staring at the timer as it counts down. I know this isn't always possible, though.

Is there any interest in asking for a lurker to step in and play a first half turn in the event that the first half player has not played by ~4h remaining on the clock? Even allowing just 4h for the second half may be problematic in case the turn rolls at a bad time for the second half player, but I would hate to assume the second half player gets Parkinized because the first half was tardy in playing.

Just something to think about.
I think one of the problems with this is that wars aren't public by default--I'd argue they (along with the associated turn split designations) need to be public in a game as big as this if we want to have a reasonable turn pace without turning people who are actively trying to play into Parkin-drones. Yes, there's some information being leaked (mainly which civs are close to each other, as well as the actual presence of conflict), but much of that isn't as relevant as people start getting Alphabet, and a lot of these turn splits are becoming known in the tech thread regardless. Granted, this doesn't solve the root problem (whatever happened during this last reboot), but it hopefully lets people (including the ones in the game who could possibly help) know of problems.

I'm reloading the games now, to see if the bounce issues may be on my side.
As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master. - Commissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"

Oh, and I'm thinking it would be helpful to have one unified thread for server status messages. It's a bit cumbersome for me to have to deal with 3 tech threads here on RB and 2 over at CFC whenever I need to take down the server, or relate that the server is back up.

How do you guys feel about that? A unified thread for general server messages, and the usual good the system for game specific tech stuff?
As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master. - Commissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"

Where would you put the unified thread? I guess as long as there's a link to it in the first post of the various game tech threads it would be accessible enough.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

(July 29th, 2014, 20:33)spacetyrantxenu Wrote: Where would you put the unified thread? I guess as long as there's a link to it in the first post of the various game tech threads it would be accessible enough.

Somewhere here on RB. Not sure where would be the most appropriate place - a very very lonely thread here http://realmsbeyond.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=20 perhaps?

That would be a good place for it, or maybe stickied in Civ general if that won't be lost in too much clutter there.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

(July 29th, 2014, 20:39)spacetyrantxenu Wrote: That would be a good place for it, or maybe stickied in Civ general if that won't be lost in too much clutter there.

Stickied in Civ general would work too. Whatever suits people here the best is good by me smile

All games are back btw. I'm experiencing a weird thing that hasn't happened before. After I select Direct IP as the game type, the Pitboss window freeze for about 30 seconds before I can select Load Game. That used to be instant before. It might be a funky Windows Update that has done something to something, or it might be the IP change. I am absolutely clueless as to what the cause is, and it may be the reason for the sudden bounce issues as it may be a problem with creating a proper socket for the Pitboss.

Will play my turn before it rolls- no need for help from Parkin

And I'll be able to play my turn as long as Xenu logs out in the next 25 minutes or so.

FWIW, I also bounced a couple times today before getting in when there was no one logged in. Hopefully the restart will help with that.

(July 29th, 2014, 19:47)Cheater Hater Wrote:
(July 29th, 2014, 18:19)Boldly Going Nowhere Wrote:
On another topic, I logged back in to pause, just under 3h remaining and 12 still to play. I do not know how many of these waiting to play are waiting on an opponent in a timer split, but we have discussed treating war splits as occasions for the first half player to hustle it up so the second half isn't staring at the timer as it counts down. I know this isn't always possible, though.

Is there any interest in asking for a lurker to step in and play a first half turn in the event that the first half player has not played by ~4h remaining on the clock? Even allowing just 4h for the second half may be problematic in case the turn rolls at a bad time for the second half player, but I would hate to assume the second half player gets Parkinized because the first half was tardy in playing.

Just something to think about.
I think one of the problems with this is that wars aren't public by default--I'd argue they (along with the associated turn split designations) need to be public in a game as big as this if we want to have a reasonable turn pace without turning people who are actively trying to play into Parkin-drones. Yes, there's some information being leaked (mainly which civs are close to each other, as well as the actual presence of conflict), but much of that isn't as relevant as people start getting Alphabet, and a lot of these turn splits are becoming known in the tech thread regardless. Granted, this doesn't solve the root problem (whatever happened during this last reboot), but it hopefully lets people (including the ones in the game who could possibly help) know of problems.

One option here would be to notify your war opponent out of game via PM and copy a lurker who you know to be paying attention to this game (I suggest Commodore, Parkin, etc) so that you have a verified neutral observing that the out of game contact is not verging toward diplomacy. This is only if you are having issues coordinating play windows with your opponent. This might speed things along, or, at the very least, to prevent you from having to repeatedly check the timer to see whether it's clear to play.