As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss 18 IT and Tech Issues Thread

Quote:No one player should cause 30 something others to have to wait for very long. I don't delay staff meetings for the last person to arrive because I'm wasting time for so many people when I do
But your time *isn't* wasted when you wait for this game to roll. That's the very nature of pitboss! You don't have to be logged in, tapping your fingers and stewing. You can do a million other things. It's a false analogy.

The cost is that you might lose interest if you don't see the game often enough. I don't see how that's any different than Yuri losing interest if he isn't permitted to play a vital turn for himself, though. What's the point in having a civ if you don't have control of it? Might as well just lurk.
EitB 25 - Perpentach
Occasional mapmaker

Heh, Boldly, you have also my support reg hoping people would play timely, not use the full 48h-timer unnecessarily and organize subbing when they are away. In this particular case I think it's clear that we pause as yuris requested that well in advance, it's not an incredibly long pause (especially as we seem to have thunderstorm-related wait anyways) and I can understand yuris for not finding a sub as if I would be in war I would prefer playing myself regardless how good the subbing player is.

However, now that we have a 48h timer I think we can be pretty harsh towards people who just plain miss their turn without announcement and requesting a 3-day pause at the last minute is not ok either.
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

I don't think my opinion is worth much, but for what it is worth, when I signed up, I wasn't even expecting the game to make it as far as it has. I only signed up because a game this large seemed like an incredibly stupid idea. :D (I'm speaking a little tongue-in-cheek in case that's not clear.)

Completed: PB 28, PBEM 55, PB 18, PBEM 60, some other stuff, PB 2

As someone who has a lot of homework to do this weekend I really don't mind when turns don't roll every day. Even when I don't have homework there are other games to play or things to do
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

(August 15th, 2014, 11:26)Whosit Wrote: I don't think my opinion is worth much, but for what it is worth, when I signed up, I wasn't even expecting the game to make it as far as it has. I only signed up because a game this large seemed like an incredibly stupid idea. :D (I'm speaking a little tongue-in-cheek in case that's not clear.)

Your opinion is just as valid as any other. smile

I'm glad the game has made it this far. Part of the reason it has, I think, is that the turns have come around regularly (thanks x1000 LP).

If/when it comes my turn to delay the game, even if I'm at war, someone log in and play. Regardless of my position in the game, I place a higher value on the time of others over my own. Even if everyone isn't staring at the portal waiting for the turn to flip, it's still a delay, and it is still annoying to some players and that matters to me .

I'll shut up about this now. No hard feelings intended to anyone. hippy

I don't have a problem having only a few hours on monday - course, I'm not sure where Yuris is or when his afternoon is, in relation to me. I might need a pause until monday eve my time, but that shouldn't be more than a few hours.
Completed:  PBEM 34g (W), 36 , 35 , 5o, 34s, 5p, 42, 48 and PB 9, 18, 27, 57

Current:  PB 52.  Boudicca of Maya

(August 15th, 2014, 06:42)yuris125 Wrote: The hotel I booked was chosen for costing £25 a night, not for having wi-fi and other essentials

If you absolutely cannot wait for me to play the turn on Monday, LP can go ahead and play my turn. But I believe I don't request pauses excessively often, don't delay playing the turn, don't abuse the turn timer, I warned about needing a pause a week in advance... honestly, I don't know what else I needed to do to get a pause. Unless we're operating a strict no pause policy, which I was not aware of

You're right, I'm being unfair, and I'm sorry to stress you about this, especially since you did ask in advance... if there's any time we should pause, it should be for something like this. I guess I'm just paranoid about this game dying from apathy just as we enter the age of discovery... people finally adding in new contacts on their diplo screen for the first time since their starting scout was eaten by a barb 80 turns ago.

(August 15th, 2014, 10:11)Commodore Wrote: Caledorn's location: Optimal for creating monsters while screaming "IT'S ALIVE!" Slightly less so for hosting computer stuff.

Pitboss Eighteen:
[Image: to4dhtnz3af5ysmdmhle.gif]

Poor Batman frown

This year has been particularly crazy. You'd think I lived in some tropical area with a rain season or something judgning by this year (I wish I did.. This season means it's getting gradually colder, and we're in for our annual 5+ months of cold winter, and I'd rather have a month or two with lots of rain if it meant no cold winter...).

Aaanyways, the weather should stabilise enough soon that the games won't be taken down every second day on average. tongue
As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master. - Commissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"

I think that Caledorn toaster also works as a lightning rod.

[Image: rmUGzfN.jpg]
As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master. - Commissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"