As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] This Land is Your Land, This Land is My Land. But Mostly Mine.

Surely nobody could possibly still care about the stupid saga of Barry Lyndon.

Four guys who wouldn't have individually considered participating wanted to have a little fun in a game which was obviously going to be an unbalanced mess from the get-go. Fun was had for a while, but RL issues, transcontinental communications problems and difficulty making constantly changing play windows fit with the Pitboss clock eventually reduced to roster to just me. Qg got thrown into the mill for a little while, because why not, and then I was happy for Parkin to unwittingly fill in as Barry #6, since there was nothing to do but whip Archers. I tried to relieve Parkin of his duties by replacing him with BarrAI, but BGN threw a fit (expected) as did Parkin (definitely not anticipated). Since LP was apparently deriving vast enjoyment out of playing OCC AW Archers Only Final Destination I shrugged my shoulders and washed my hands of the whole sorry affair.

Of course I was (and still am) against the RB anti-sockpuppet Jihaad. My team's variant would have been completely spoiled any other way, plus raised some player eyebrows. But perhaps it was our error in not realizing that gimmick pitbosses with absurd player skill disparities, no fair way of handling the inevitable AWOL teams and minimal map balancing are srs business.

And yeah, I was the person who invaded wetbandit. "Barry" was nowhere near Qg start, so I didn't have any spoiler knowledge.

I have no regrets!

Barry was forum cyanide. But im sure that will be rehashed in the postgame thread.

/irrelevant stuff

It's interesting to observe how much AI Diplomacy has impacted this game - especially OB. BGN, if this game had been AW - ignoring all the problems with doing pitboss in that, and assuming they're solved - how would you have seen it going/behaving differently?
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

(May 12th, 2015, 18:24)Ceiliazul Wrote: Barry was Bob is forum cyanide. But im sure that will be rehashed in the postgame thread.

FTYF.

srsly omg yahs iz big deel. rolleye

(May 12th, 2015, 18:31)Qgqqqqq Wrote: /irrelevant stuff

It's interesting to observe how much AI Diplomacy has impacted this game - especially OB. BGN, if this game had been AW - ignoring all the problems with doing pitboss in that, and assuming they're solved - how would you have seen it going/behaving differently?

Bigger stacks? Less Free Market ownage. It would have made my hammer economy that much better by comparison. As is, I've lost a good bit of teching power and I'm giving up a TON of free routes.

I think the game would have been more peaceful overall. More skirmishing because no negative consequences due to loss of trade routes. Just opportunistic, minor stuff like unprotected workers or weakly defended cities. But overall, people would have better militaries which leads to less conquest with the defender's advantage, or more expensive conquest. I could be wrong, I haven't given this much thought but this is what I think I remember from tight/AW PBEMs.

I feel like a jerk holding the game up tonight. I hope the meta-watchers don't read into the fact that I've had visitors in my thread and my apparent/obvious powergaming-hold-up-the-turn-to-be-last move...

Today was closing day on campus and I treated my grads to some steak and taters instead of playing my turn because I thought we'd be waiting for OH/Fin anyway. I'm sorry to hold the turn, but that steak was good and the grad students deserved it.

Tinfoil

Given OH's turn, doesn't matter anyway. Good game!
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

I don't think you'll regret waiting.

(May 12th, 2015, 21:47)Boldly Going Nowhere Wrote:
(May 12th, 2015, 18:24)Ceiliazul Wrote: Barry was Bob is forum cyanide. But im sure that will be rehashed in the postgame thread.

FTYF.

the internet is serious business

(May 12th, 2015, 22:05)Commodore Wrote: Given OH's turn, doesn't matter anyway. Good game!

This is ominously foreboding. I checked the tracker last night and saw they took three cities. I can only hope these were the legendary cities but they won't be. Come on, green bar, load up already!

(May 12th, 2015, 22:44)Ceiliazul Wrote: I don't think you'll regret waiting.

I don't. The steaks were good and the grads worked hard for them. But this has my interest piqued for sure. The green bar is almost halfway now!

(May 13th, 2015, 00:08)fluffyflyingpig Wrote:
(May 12th, 2015, 21:47)Boldly Going Nowhere Wrote:

FTYF.

the internet is serious business

lol

Edit: Aaannnnd....diplolocked. Trying again. smile