As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Civ 6 Release and Update Discussion Thread

(October 25th, 2016, 08:22)picklepikkl Wrote: @El Grillo: It's possible to rebase traders so that they give their benefits to a different city than the one in which they were built? How?

There's a button on the unit panel when it prompts you to assign a new trade route (it's not on the much larger panel on the left that lists potential routes).

(October 25th, 2016, 10:48)Dreylin Wrote:
(October 25th, 2016, 03:07)Lord Parkin Wrote:
(October 25th, 2016, 02:51)Magil Wrote: Yeah I've been trying to avoid the exploits like chopping across the world and deleting 1-charge builders, those are things that are certainly going to need to be fixed.

Likewise... I'm aware these things exist in the present version, but it's no fun taking advantage of them so I'm playing as if they didn't.

I imagine that these would be addressed in the Honourable ruleset, if they don't get patched out.

Good idea! Also unit selling... anything else?

Money deals with the AI seem to be completely broken, from all reports. Very easy to exploit.
Civ 6 SP: Adventure One 
Civ 4 MP: PBEM74B [3/4] PBEM74D [3/4]
-Dedlurker: PB34

Diplo is broken in general, so not really worth mentioning that particular exploit

Importing from the wonders thread, but it's general...
(October 23rd, 2016, 16:14)picklepikkl Wrote:
(October 23rd, 2016, 15:43)yuris125 Wrote: This is actually one of the reasons I think Civ6 is great and will shine when polished. You have to plan far ahead, not just on the lines of "districts are most efficient when placed in a triangle", but which wonders you want to build and where you want to place them as well. You can ignore it and still do well, but if there are key wonders you really want to build, they can have a huge effect on choosing district placement 100 turns before you actually start building them

QFT. This is by far the aspect of the game I think most justifies its existence: the degree to which forethought is rewarded between Eureka boosts, district bonuses, and Wonder requirements. Thinking ten steps ahead seems like it gets you really good results, which is appropriate for a strategy game.

(That said, I think the fact that districts cannot be removed once built is a step too far. I've seen a number of complaints about lategame strategic resource reveals underneath a district, which just seems terrible. Rewarding forethought is well and good, but there should be a way to backtrack if you've erred or the dice rolled poorly.)
So here's an impression I'm getting from the mass of reports, how much "burst" potential is there in this game? It seems like basically everything is slow, no way to efficiently and drastically swing from one thing to another. It seems Civ5 had this too, where stuff like the sudden reconfiguration of your empire to bust out a half dozen bulbs, or whip out a big army, etc is just gone...or maybe it's also there's just not incentive there either, given the randomness of Great People effects or the slow speed of military redeployment. Could also be that the game is very early on and emergent strategies will differ, but it sure seems like the current model/pacing would make for a very low-interaction multiplayer metagame.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

The yields from trade routes are documented in game. What I want information about are the mechanics.

When do you start and stop getting the (presumably per turn) yield?

How long does it take to make the route?

I've heard that you need to protect the trader, but as far as I can tell they are invulnerable. Is there danger?

What are trading posts?

What parts of the route stay when you reassign the trader? Just the road?

(October 25th, 2016, 04:11)yuris125 Wrote:
(October 24th, 2016, 23:20)SevenSpirits Wrote: Can anyone explain to me how traders and trade routes work?

I ask because I like having roads between my cities. frown

Offtopic (since Magil already answered your question ) ) but as a note, roads in Civ6 are not very worthwhile. They give no movement bonus until industrial era, just make every tile require 1 movement point to move into. Modern era roads (0.5 movement points per tile) are equivalent to ancient era roads in 4 and 5
Having all my nominally 2 move units limited to 1 tile every turn due to terrain was super annoying. Even more so because I was on quick speed. (I decided to restart on normal though).

(October 25th, 2016, 13:09)Commodore Wrote: So here's an impression I'm getting from the mass of reports, how much "burst" potential is there in this game? It seems like basically everything is slow, no way to efficiently and drastically swing from one thing to another. It seems Civ5 had this too, where stuff like the sudden reconfiguration of your empire to bust out a half dozen bulbs, or whip out a big army, etc is just gone...or maybe it's also there's just not incentive there either, given the randomness of Great People effects or the slow speed of military redeployment. Could also be that the game is very early on and emergent strategies will differ, but it sure seems like the current model/pacing would make for a very low-interaction multiplayer metagame.

I'd say that the "burst" potential is contained mostly in the policy cards and, to the extent that they support them, the Governments themselves. It certainly encourages you to think in "waves" for efficiency: need more Builders, pop in the extra charges card and push out a round and store some for later; time to expand, pop in the Settler discount card; falling behind on Military, switch to a Red-heavy Government (e.g. Monarchy) and pile in the unit discount cards.

You get a free switch every time you complete a Civic, so a good output of Culture will get you a regular revolt every 5-10t - think SPI - so getting that Culture level up early pays itself back with flexibility.

I'm not as far through my game as others, but this is how I'm now approaching it.

(October 25th, 2016, 13:27)SevenSpirits Wrote: The yields from trade routes are documented in game. What I want information about are the mechanics.

How long does it take to make the route?

I've heard that you need to protect the trader, but as far as I can tell they are invulnerable. Is there danger?

What are trading posts?

What parts of the route stay when you reassign the trader? Just the road?

I believe you start getting the yield the moment you start the route, and it lasts until it ends. So if you immediate resend the trader you get the yield uninterrupted. Not completely sure but I'm pretty sure that's how it worked in V and BE.

I was under the impression routes lasted for a set amount of time (20 turns ?), but Brick might be right that it lasts until the trader gets back from the destination. I think traders travel faster if there's already a road though, only traveling one hex per turn if there's no road (and the trader is traveling by land).

I'm pretty sure traders can be pillaged if you have a unit on the same tile.

From the wikia:
Quote:Trading posts extend the range of trade routes which pass through their cities by 15 tiles, which is also the base trade route range. If a trade route reaches a city with a trading post, it may then continue up to fifteen additional tiles to reach another city. If that city also has a trading post, the route may extend a further fifteen tiles, and so on. Each trading post also adds +1  Gold to every route originating in the trader civilization which passes through its city.

Just the road and the trading post.

From my observations / digging fragments from the Civlopaedia & Advisors:

(October 25th, 2016, 13:27)SevenSpirits Wrote: The yields from trade routes are documented in game. What I want information about are the mechanics.

Pretty sure it's the following and future turns until the term of the Route ends.

(October 25th, 2016, 13:27)SevenSpirits Wrote: How long does it take to make the route?

When you set up the route, the left sheet shows the route duration - basically the time it takes to get there & back, I think, so longer (distance) routes last for longer.

(October 25th, 2016, 13:27)SevenSpirits Wrote: I've heard that you need to protect the trader, but as far as I can tell they are invulnerable. Is there danger?

No idea on this one.

(October 25th, 2016, 13:27)SevenSpirits Wrote: What are trading posts?

I think these are the key to maximising Trade Routes. When a Trade Route term ends, a Trading Post is created in the start and end cities of that route. They have a couple of effects as far as I can tell: 1) they let you extend the route by acting as a reset point, so if you pass through a Trading Post the distance limit is reset to 15/30 so you can reach the route farther. 2) if one of your routes passes through a city with one of your Trading Posts, you will see an added return on the route. This is documented in the left setup sheet if you hover over the route rewards.

So over time you can push your routes further and the rewards increase from the incidental intermediate Trading Posts.

I'm not sure how / whether you can see which cities have your posts in them though. I though I saw a screen that reported it, but haven't found it while looking since and may just have dreamed it.  crazyeye

(October 25th, 2016, 13:27)SevenSpirits Wrote: What parts of the route stay when you reassign the trader? Just the road?

Road, and the Trading Posts.