As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Civ 6 Release and Update Discussion Thread

(October 25th, 2016, 18:59)Molach Wrote: -Please tell me there is a way to access the tile-picker and see how long it takes for a city to expand to new lands. I haven't found it, and have even been looking. Some.

Haven't found it either. Don't think it's in the game atm. Weird omission, but just as weird as omitting the amount of food a city needs to grow. UI not only feels cluttered, it feels unfinished

Anyone else bothered by no ability to reassign right click functionality? I'm used to it giving context or further information, I hate it defaulting to movement with no way to change it.
Lord Parkin
Past games: Pitboss 4 | Pitboss 7 | Pitboss 14Pitboss 18 | Pitboss 20 | Pitboss 21

Look, there are so many UI things that are outright mind boggling. Take the very standard command 'C' which would center on the unit that this autocycling selects. Try it out and see what happens. I wanted to reassign that command but could not find the option for unit center.

In the late game, the bar on the right spams so many trivial messages that the usual wheeling of the mouse doesn't work as zoom any longer but moves that bar. This is really annoying (maybe I am the only one who has that issue)

Why is the city bar to select a city so small that I sometimes have a hard time selecting the city thanks units blocking that. Selecting the crosshair to bombard from a city is really painful. Then try and target an enemy and the general clutter makes it really hard to aim.

Besides the UI, I feel that the approach is for the casuals now, as a lot of MM options have been taken away from us. For example, the whole luxury game. Why can't I decide which cities benefit from the very limited luxuries. I want my capital to be very happy to have added production. I couldn't be bothered about the unhappiness of some fringe cities. Why can't I decide which tile a city claims next? I am sure to uncover more such simplifications to create a shiny, nice game where one doesn't need to think so much.

(October 25th, 2016, 19:52)Singaboy Wrote: Besides the UI, I feel that the approach is for the casuals now, as a lot of MM options have been taken away from us. For example, the whole luxury game. Why can't I decide which cities benefit from the very limited luxuries. I want my capital to be very happy to have added production. I couldn't be bothered about the unhappiness of some fringe cities. Why can't I decide which tile a city claims next? I am sure to uncover more such simplifications to create a shiny, nice game where one doesn't need to think so much.

It's here and there. You can certainly still get a lot of benefit from careful city placement (not just for adjacency bonuses, but also for regional buildings like the factory or zoo), building your improvements and districts to complement each other, and careful utilization of the civic tree to time policy swaps. But yes, it's annoying that we have no control over amenity distribution.
Civ 6 Adventure 1 Report
Now complete!

This game looks like a Civ5 with fancy lipstick on.  scared

(October 25th, 2016, 17:06)Krill Wrote: I am vehemently aghainst 1upt for those reasons, but after playing Civ 4 for way to long, playing late era MP I have to say this: I want stack limits.

I just don't want them that low.

Borrow the supply limit mechanic from the Paradox series of games maybe? To vary it up a bit you could add unit power into the mix, e.g. a tile carryingten units of warriors of strength 3 could only support 5 swordsmen at strength 6. And of course you can always research techs/ units which help with the supply limits.

I'm actually surprised Civ didn't go a similar route, using a mechanic both historical and in keeping with the macro level ethos of the series instead of indulging Shafers wish to make Panzer Civ.
Travelling on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

It seems to me that trading posts last a minimum of x turns, but will only end when the trader is back in the city it started in. Hence for some long trade routes i am sure its only lasted 1 round trip, for shorter ones its lasted 3-4

Just a heads up for those being annoyed by the lack of information regarding city expansion and food numbers: There is an UI-mod available at civfanatics that adds for border-growth the turns it takes till the next one (no indication of what tile will be picked though afaik) and - even though it doesn't state so in the thread - according to the github-page of the mod I believe it also shows current food / required food for growth.

Found here: Quick UI

(And sorry if that was already posted, I didn't read all pages of this thread wink)

Played a few turns yesterday. Quick thoughts:

*Need to learn not to get frustrated when I miss an Eureka. 

*The mouse movement felt a bit stuck. I had to use arrow keys to move the screen, which I didn't need to in 4 and 5.

*Lack of info in the UI is annoying, but a bit of it is still figuring things out.

*I'm at a loss about improvements. The way hill and forest/jungle bonus work, it seems pretty easy to get the same amount of yield from a non-improved tile than from an improved one (i.e. improved stone = jungle hill yield). Perhaps saving builder charges is the way to go, even if it feels strange. And it also felt like helping the second city get off the ground is important.

later techs improve the improved tile yield massively, so right at the start there isnt a huge difference but that changes

As far as I can tell beakers/hammers dont degrade, so you can research half of techs then move on and they will complete when the eureka hits