As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Civ 6 Release and Update Discussion Thread

(October 26th, 2016, 07:46)Jkaen Wrote: later techs improve the improved tile yield massively, so right at the start there isnt a huge difference but that changes

As far as I can tell beakers/hammers dont degrade, so you can research half of techs then move on and they will complete when the eureka hits

Not sure for hammers (didn't test) but you definitely can research half of techs / civics and then wait for the eureka if you don't need it immediately. It gets a bit annoying imo to wait / plan around that and you will have to make decisions at some point if you want to waste hammers for buildings / units you don't need to get the eureka. You can basically pay part of the research in other "currencies".

(And some eurekas you have to accept that you don't get them before you need the tech. I had an isolated island-start and found no nature wonder nor other civs nor city-states for a long time. Lost me quite a few eurekas but delaying all the techs for several turns just loses you more.)

As for tile yields: Hills always add 1 hammer as do woods. Which makes hills always better in terms of raw tile yield than flat terrain as both can spawn woods / rainforest as well. Don't really understand why they didn't go with the civ4 implementation, making it that no unimproved tile yield will ever exceed 3 but make improvements stronger from the start. Should be possibe to balance to lead to the same end result but make builders more important - which would help with the production sink they are supposed to be (or so I thought). As it is, I hardly improved my tiles beyond the ones with resources and still won my 2nd game ever, despite playing on Immortal (which was also the isolated start).

In general I think the game could be finetuned quite a bit more. Be it UI-things, be it the cost of units, districts, wonders, be it the importance of improvements. I do have quite a bit of fun with it but it probably could be much better if they had have experienced players play if for half a year and finetune these points.

I think I'm starting to understand why some AIs fly past all the other AIs. As per usual in a Civ game, production is king (in Civ4, slavery, Civ5, selling luxuries for money to rushbuy). In Civ6, that comes in the form of Industrial districts, which gives insane amount of production compared to tile yields. The difference is that Civ6 AI has a chance to build lots of Industrial districts, while Civ4/Civ5 Ais didn't abuse the production mechanic. So, in Civ6, the AIs which builds a lot of Industrial Districts fly miles ahead of others. Could be wrong, but that's my feeling so far.

(October 26th, 2016, 07:33)Ichabod Wrote: *The mouse movement felt a bit stuck. I had to use arrow keys to move the screen, which I didn't need to in 4 and 5.

You can also drag the screen with you mouse, which is what I've transitioned to. I'm having trouble going back to mousing on the edge of the screen when playing civ 4.

About the eureka discussion, be careful when waiting for the eureka for a civic. If you get a civic via a eureka (and you're not researching that civic at that time) you don't get the free policy change.

(October 26th, 2016, 08:13)Amelia Wrote: I think I'm starting to understand why some AIs fly past all the other AIs. As per usual in a Civ game, production is king (in Civ4, slavery, Civ5, selling luxuries for money to rushbuy). In Civ6, that comes in the form of Industrial districts, which gives insane amount of production compared to tile yields. The difference is that Civ6 AI has a chance to build lots of Industrial districts, while Civ4/Civ5 Ais didn't abuse the production mechanic. So, in Civ6, the AIs which builds a lot of Industrial Districts fly miles ahead of others. Could be wrong, but that's my feeling so far.

The thing is, though, there's tons of time before that for you to outtech the AI civs, at least on Prince.  Perhaps they have some time to catch up, though, as industrial comes as early as medieval.

Unrelatedly, placing pins is better than Civ 4, in that there is a button right there on the minimap.  (I don't know if Civ 5 had similar.)  However, the pins themselves seem to be pretty buggy: placing pins above a certain number seems to like to overwrite one other pin's settings and then have you edit that one instead of the one you just placed.  On top of that, you are limited in the number of pins you can place by your screen size: the pin interface has a list of all the pins you have placed, and it's not scrollable.  The "add pin" button is at the top of it, so you can place a few extra pins if you hide the minimap, but, at least on my monitor, it caps out around 40 pins because you literally can't get to the button to add more, and there's no hotkey.

(October 26th, 2016, 09:23)Ranamar Wrote: The thing is, though, there's tons of time before that for you to outtech the AI civs, at least on Prince.  Perhaps they have some time to catch up, though, as industrial comes as early as medieval.
Oh, definitely. I was just trying to figure out why some ais might have 8 cities while the rest falter at 4, for example.

So I just had a pretty weird defeat. Played Rome to try the military game (its too easy), and was slicing through the opposition. Then I took Scythia's capital and immediately the defeat movie played. I eventually worked out that I had taken so many of their cities that their religion had become my 'majority' religion, and as I had ignored faith entirely I didn't have one to compete with it.

So it's my fault for not paying attention, but I'm not quite sure I like that the situation can arise. Without my own religion, I'm not sure how I could have done anything. I need to take Scythia's capital to win, and if I take it I lose. I guess I can always turn off religious victory for war games.

At least Civ VI has the Catch-22 style of warfare down quite well.

So Congo can't win Domination?
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

(October 26th, 2016, 12:08)Commodore Wrote: So Congo can't win Domination?

noidea

You only need to take capitals for domination, don't have to eliminate other civs completely (same victory condition as in 5). So other civs will still have other religions

Religious victory requires all civs still alive to be converted, there's no Civ4's AP cheese, in theory religious loss should be avoidable when going for domination

Keeping crippled, heathen civs alive in the backlines and patrolling the roads to kill missionaries who approach them isn't my idea of a fun domination game. But I take your point, it's avoidable.