As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Civ 6 Release and Update Discussion Thread

You build Theatre districts if you're going for a cultural victory :P all building which host great works of art go into theatre district buildings

Districts are so expensive because the devs intended that to be a limiting factor for expansion (in addition to making Settlers and Builders more expensive). I don't even think it's a bad idea. I just don't understand why the costs have to go up for each tech or civic. I thought it was supposed to simple be that each building a unit or district makes the next one more expensive. I think techs and civics increasing production costs is just as bad as new cities increasing tech costs in 5

I spammed theatre districts in my Adventure, while only building 3 Industrial districts because I was going for a culture victory. Factories are pretty expensive and I'm not sure there was anything good to put the extra production back into. It felt better to go directly for the buildings that help with the victory condition rather than snowball production first -> then theatres. I haven't really explored the other VCs yet but it could work similarly.

I guess that makes sense, I've only done Conquest and Spaceship so far and for those the default culture from citizens + a few wonders + inspirations means no really feeling of need for theater districts...
Blog | EitB | PF2 | PBEM 37 | PBEM 45G | RBDG1

Yeah, when I was going for space I also found theatre squares very low priority

(October 28th, 2016, 13:13)yuris125 Wrote: I just don't understand why the costs have to go up for each tech or civic. I thought it was supposed to simple be that each building a unit or district makes the next one more expensive.

If it worked like this, yeah I wouldn't mind this at all. It would encourage city specialization which is a good thing. I'm starting to come around on the reddit theory that it actually is supposed to work like this, and there's a bug that's making it artificially worse.

From my experience to this point, Industrial and Commercial districts (assuming not using gold exploits, in which case the Commercial obviously isn't worth either) are mostly useful in most cities regardless of victory type, with the possible exception of Religious (and/or Cultural - though I do think you probably want at least a few production sites on a cultural to manage the key wonders.) Additionally the Neighborhoods and Entertainment Districts are useful if you're trying to grow cities later though I debate if that's really necessary if you're aggressive enough at expansion, which I haven't been in my games. Campuses are only useful in a couple districts probably, since tech comes so quickly anyway. Holy Sites and Theatre Districts are mainly only useful if you're pursuing Religious/Cultural.

All of that seems reasonable, but scooter's point in that who wants to dump 17 turns into something of middling usefulness is why the production thing feels so slow. Sure, you can definitely spam out military with the right policies, which probably makes Conquest the best victory condition to seek. But otherwise the production doesn't really start to feel alright until you get into Industrial/Modern.
I've got some dirt on my shoulder, can you brush it off for me?

I've found holy sites to be useful regardless of intended victory. They're among the earliest available, their buildings are relatively cheap, and even without a religion of your own, having lots of faith can be very useful. Buying great people out from under the AI, emergency buying of walls, and it can be used to buy buildings for other districts. Although my experience is with Egypt, who have another source of faith with their Sphinxs

(October 28th, 2016, 10:28)Serdoa Wrote: As I've played a religious victory to conclusion, I think there is also more strategy behind it than it seems at first. Not that you can't achieve it without knowing what you are doing, I very well could. But looking back, there are so many things I did wrong, partially because nowhere you are told how it works. For example, it seems there is a limited amount of promotions for your apostles. At some point mine didn't get any, despite the game telling me that there is a promotion on the unit available, I could not use it. I could for other units, so it was not a breakdown of the whole promotion-system. I concluded that it probably is similar to the Great People with a limited amount. With that knowledge though, using the charges of the promotion that lets you erase all other religions from a city becomes much less op, because you do not have an unlimited amount of those but instead have to plan when and how to use them. 

The only complaint I have so far regarding religion is that it feels like a game within the game. When I go for religious stuff, I stop being interested in basically everything else because at a very early point in the game there are no more techs or civics coming that make a difference for the religious part. No buildings that give you more faith, no tile improvements, no nothing. So neither culture, nor science, nor gold, nor production are necessary any more. That's were I'd love me a good old slider like in Civ4 so I could funnel all my commerce into faith instead of the "commerce"-yields being produced right from the start as 4 different categories.

Find Yeveran
Send envoys till you get the power to pick apostle promotions 
Buy apostles
March to hostile holy cities
Select the apostle promotion that lets you remove other religions when converting or gives bonus strength overseas 
Promote to combat line if attacked
Convert  holy cities
Win game

Religion games are completely different with the yeveran city state nearby. 

Why is it remarkable and praiseworthy that a game does not crash on launch in 2016?  Shouldn't we expect more by now?

Interestingly, I saw a thread from RB referenced in a non RB made Civ 6 review. 

(it shows up at 0:45)

(October 28th, 2016, 13:40)scooter Wrote:
(October 28th, 2016, 13:13)yuris125 Wrote: I just don't understand why the costs have to go up for each tech or civic. I thought it was supposed to simple be that each building a unit or district makes the next one more expensive.

If it worked like this, yeah I wouldn't mind this at all. It would encourage city specialization which is a good thing. I'm starting to come around on the reddit theory that it actually is supposed to work like this, and there's a bug that's making it artificially worse.

That would be one weird bug. I think specialty districts are the only thing in the game to have COST_PROGRESSION_NUM_UNDER_AVG_PLUS_TECH, so Firaxis would have had to accidentally make that and set specialty districts to it. It should be easy to mod districts into working like workers/settlers though. Just change the CostProgressionModels to COST_PROGRESSION_PREVIOUS_COPIES in Base/Assets/Gameplay/Data/Districts.xml. Haven't tried it though and I wouldn't be shocked if it bugged somehow. Disappointed yes but not shocked.