As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Civ 6 Release and Update Discussion Thread

It probably is. If AI is incapable of defending itself when it has the same units as the player, I don't see any reason not to attack everything in sight. I find war boring, didn't really try attacking anyone yet

I thought the Only First Four Cities thing was a bug and multiple copies were supposed to affect next four cities.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

(November 2nd, 2016, 12:48)yuris125 Wrote: It probably is. If AI is incapable of defending itself when it has the same units as the player, I don't see any reason not to attack everything in sight. I find war boring, didn't really try attacking anyone yet

The AI is incapable of defending itself with superior units than the player. This is mostly because their better units are stuck behind their inferior ones. In my Immortal game, Roosevelt had Anti-Tanks while I was fielding Muskets, but it was easy to take his cities because he kept pushing Horsemen and Knights at me.

This might also be a problem with AI production/prioritization, since I only really saw a handful of ATs behind his Knight/Horseman carpet, so either they were too expensive for him to field regularly, or he didn't realize that ATs are better than Knights.

I'm probably sounding too negative on the game overall. I'm having enough fun to play it, but there's a lot of Holy Shit What The Fuck Is Going On in this game. They definitely tested it because this is the most stable release of Civ I've seen, but the list of baffling design decisions is getting extensive. I'm starting to think that Ed Beach + Art Team basically built this game by themselves in like a year.

Considering the press preview version crashed pretty much every turn in the late game, and release is stable, maybe they just had to spend too much effort fixing those crashes instead of polishing game play? smile

On obsolete units, it feels like AI doesn't prioritise (or maybe completely ignores) unit upgrades. Warriors and Horsemen are still running around deep into the game, and you see nonsense like "horseman corp" and "warrior army" from AI

(November 2nd, 2016, 13:38)pindicator Wrote: I thought the Only First Four Cities thing was a bug and multiple copies were supposed to affect next four cities.

It's not. It matches the manual's description of how luxuries are supposed to work.

Also, I believe declaring a war using a casus belli kicks you out of borders. A surprise war won't.

Tom Chick from QuarterToThree - famous for his review of Civ V which is closer to the general view of it on this forum than any other professional review I've seen - has produced his Civ VI review: http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2016/11...ization-v/. (Delayed so long as he no longer gets press copies of games sent to him after certain past reviews, and because he likes to play games through several times before writing his reviews.)

Some good points; well worth a read if you've lost all faith in games reviewers. smile

Thank you, rho!

The Tom Chick Review Wrote:How long was I supposed to play before realizing that clicking on a unit’s name brings up a menu of all my units, an interface convention that exists nowhere else in the game?

YOU CAN DO THAT?

SON OF A
Civ 6 SP: Adventure One 
Civ 4 MP: PBEM74B [3/4] PBEM74D [3/4]
-Dedlurker: PB34

(November 2nd, 2016, 15:03)rho21 Wrote: Tom Chick from QuarterToThree - famous for his review of Civ V which is closer to the general view of it on this forum than any other professional review I've seen - has produced his Civ VI review: http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2016/11...ization-v/. (Delayed so long as he no longer gets press copies of games sent to him after certain past reviews, and because he likes to play games through several times before writing his reviews.)

Some good points; well worth a read if you've lost all faith in games reviewers. smile

Pretty good review.  I don't agree with some of what he says, but I do think he nails a lot of the biggest issues.

I think if I could choose any one, non-exploit thing to change about the game, it would be a button to turn off religion entirely.  So much of what's annoying about the game comes from it and I honestly don't think there is a single part of it that was done well. Also, I really hate that you can't name cities, surely someone has a mod for this by now?
I've got some dirt on my shoulder, can you brush it off for me?

(November 2nd, 2016, 11:04)Borsche Wrote: I will say that I'm not certain if the player does or doesn't get kicked out of enemy territory once war is declared, but I know that the AI didn't get kicked out when it declared war on me after having OB so I don't see any reason for that not to apply to the player. If you think about it, it makes sense in the same way that it worked in Civ3: you no longer have OB so you don't have RoP, but you're at war so there's no reason to get kicked out. I'll have to test it.

Your units don't ever get magically teleported out in Civ3 because you can actually trespass without DoW eek . They can kick you out during their turn but that isn't magical--it was affectionately called "the boot". 

ROP rape is insane but magically getting teleported out and not being able to trespass is silly. It's a matter of choice of which pill to take.